someone stole my idea

sandman

I had an idea some time ago, regaurding alien abductions. I reasoned that since we as humans started out as large hairy creatures, that we are in a process of de-evolution and will continue to shrink. Therefore if we continue, we will become smaller and smaller, and lose all hair altogether.
As aliens are reported as small hairless creatures with large heads, then it may be that they actually started out the same as us. So if they were actually our desendents from another universe that had started long before this one, then it could be that the reason why they abduct people is an attempt to stop the decline of the species, by examining the differences between us and them trying to find a link.
I was watching Stargate SG1, and they had the same scenario. One of the people was abducted and swaped with a clone. They were eventually found to have been abducted by the asgard, that look like the aliens we all hear about. It was revealed that these abductions were widespread, and that the reason was, that they were originally a race similar to humans but had evolved into that state, and were near the end, where women could no longer have children. So they would take humans to take DNA samples etc, in a bid to find a solution.
As I have posted that idea on a number of sights, I wonder?
Anyone interested in the prequil to Predator?

There's absolutely no copyright protection of ideas.

In this instance, it's actually quite an old idea - I remember a teacher telling me something similar about the future of humans, over 20 years ago.

My understanding of "the Greys" mythology - as popularised as small, grey, large heads and large oval eyes - is that they are actually supposed to be evolved from dolphins, and that they live in another "dimension" of soace that sits right on top of our own - ie, that we shaer the earth with other beings in different 'dimensions of space'.

As to a prequel to Predator - I hear Arnie's pretty busy these days, but the Predator series in itself was pretty decent. We'll probably see an "Aliens vs Predator" film soon enough.

Any more talk about film, though, and this will need redircting into the "Movies and Television" section. :)

Doesnt a concept intended for a movie script belong here? I thought the movie section was for discusing actual movies. It is essentially on the evolution of the creature, how it came to be "an intelligent monster". Arnie can get JC van Damme to mind the store.

I said:
You're right - it was just incase this thread turned into a discussion about movies in particular. :)
I thought thats what you meant, i was just trying to clarify my intent. I am not really a writer, but I have some ideas. It reminded me the other day when watching Stargate, that if I had an idea that isnt really that popular, or at least the general response is "are you crazy", that at least the idea is worthwhile, if someone else thought to use it.
The problem I have with Sci Fi is that it sometimes relies too much on fantasy. It can be good to escape, but then it would also be interesting to try to work fantasy to connect with reality; to create a not just a plausable connection, but one that will make you think that maybe it really is true, maybe what we see around us isnt what it seems. Are warewolves, really people abandoned by ancient society, left to their own devices, gone mad, unable to cut their hair, a young person that adopted a wolf cub, and was seen mimicking its behaviour?
With the creature in Predator I wondered, how could something evolve, into what is some kind of mindless killing machine, virtually an animal in nature, yet still have the reasoning capacity to utelize technology? When you see it, you just have to suspend belief, or else use the closest similarity, which is just comparing it to a human yahoo. That however, is too sensible, too much reasoning capacity, thats the sort of intelligence that is capable of being able to sit down and have a conversation and play cards. So how do you create what is essential a mindless killing machine, with the same reasoning capacity of the creature in alien, yet still have the capacity to use technology.
So what I wanted to do was to create a link, to show how this was possible, which in turn would give a new spin to the original. Not just to create something believable but to make it probable. While the Matrix may have been interesting, it was a little far fetched or unbelievable, there wasnt that connection that made you think, "if I keep drinking coke, then maybe it will come true", or "I never looked at it that way before, maybe what I am doing, is, going to be the death of me".
So basically what I have done is constructed an evolutionary path, where humans evolve into that creature. A creature that has reverted to a mindless killing machine, where the technology has actually become a part of its instinct. It doesnt understand how or why anything works, it cant build machines, it doesnt even know what a machine is, it is no more than an animal, operating them by insinct, like dog that has been taught to do tricks. The technology actually becomes a part of it, so it responds through instinct and preprogrammed responses and human memories, that are no longer rational or understood.

Interesting notion - though part of the point of the film "Predator", as I saw it was that the creature was evolutionary superior to us. Man was merely another animal - a trophy - to the superior "civilised" being.

You do have the workings of a novel in the making already, though - you've got ideas, and that's often a start - a preliminary. :)

If you ever did write you wouldn't need to rely on fantasy - authors such as Stephen Baxter use fantasy only in the sense of positing questions of practical realities we cannot yet face - ie, addressing a manned mission to Saturn even in our own contemporary society. The fantasy is merely exploring it. Different people prefer different approaches - sf/f is a remarkably varied and versatile genre. It allows anything to be possible - it's simply up to the author to figure how much they are going to use.

I am not in a position to write it myself, I dont think it would turn out as well as I would like in the hands of someone that isnt that way inclined or skilled. I just have the "technical" components, which is half the battle, of how and why things work.

What I would like to show is that even though the creature is "superior", at what cost. To show that despite that superiority, there is a flaw that in reality, is more important than that superiority. It is a reflection on todays "bigger is better attitude". "Don't it always seem to go, that you dont know what you've got till its gone, take paradise and put up a parking lot". By showing a possible artificial evolution that we do to ourselves, it demonstrates how you can lose sight of what is real, and end up somewhere you never intended, and then that error comes back to haunt us.
The idea is based on the progression of computer games to be more and more realistic. Been done to death but this isnt so much about computer games but life in general. It is also not based on the idea of an "evil" or excessive individual wanting more but a natural progression that is created through simple normal harmless steps, so it is showing how you can become something you are not, by being unaware of what you are doing, and where it will lead.
Id like to show a progression from the "leave it to beaver days" where everyone was nice and polite, and show a degeneration, to where eventually humans are genetically engineered to be immortal, without thinking of the consequences first, leading to a violent uncaring cut throat society. The population explodes overnight, no one is retiring, so business is cut throat, if you lose your job at the top, there is virtually no way back up again, and the only way to get there is to be totally ruthless. As the population is out of control, massive unemployment creates a class of peasants with no future, seen as pests by a now uncaring society.
Those with money do as the please, but as they are imortal they eventually start to run out of ideas to amuse themselves. In one area computer games have gone through their evolution, from interactive, to virtual reality, to holographic interactive, simulated reality but the quest is always for more, its not quite as much fun scaling a mountain, knowing that if you fall, you can just yell out "computer stop". The rest of society is of course going through their own evolution, with sport and reality tv becoming more violent and daring, getting away with more and more, using the hopless class, as guinea pigs.
The computer games evolve from virtual gmes, to real simulations, starting out with using manned robot vehicles, with simulated gunfire. As people become more experimental, they start to play with changing their bodies, to make themselves more competitive. They splice animal genes, and incorporate nano technology, to make themselves superior. Theses are scientists and computer geeks, trying to outdo each other, so there is a constant desire to out do the other.
Eventually nano technology and matter replication mean that everything is self replicating and self maintaining. Computers are intergrated into the mind to operate on thought transferal, so devices are operated via thoughts. The games escalate to where they are creating real physical damage to people.
Part of the real game is how well computers can be programmed, eventually becoming self maintaining. If a device breaks down or is destroyed it is replaced through nano bots without the humans having to lift a finger, eventually work becomes obsolete, so there is nothing to do but play and work on their devices. As the games become more dangerous, memories are stored in a computer, and should a person die, the memory will be inserted into a clone, so it will be as if the person has never died.
The games start to merge with what is going on in other parts of society, with reality programs etc so that they are now devided. The computer players now vs the rest of scociety, so that the computer geeks become the outlaws. They continue to use science and technology, to alter themselves, incorporating armour and weapons as part of their exoskeleton, linked to their mind.

As their games are based on outdoing each other through technology, and they are battling "normal" science and technology,they incorporate a self destruct mechanism, so as to avoid their secrets being uncovered should they become incapacitated. They just destroy themselves and obliterate all evidence, but as their memory is stored in a computer, their present memory is also incorporated and sent before they self destruct, and resurrected in the clone.
As they are using clones, the cocktail of spliced animal genes and nano technology continues to mutate, with computer proramms making alterations, based on the pros and cons of the last mission. Over time they degenerate into complete madness, losing every trace of thought as being human, only a basiic instinct remains, shadowy memories. By this stage, everything is self propelled, they dont have to do a thing, they dont need to think, the computer reads their thoughts and responds to what has now become instinct. They dont need to think "I want to fly to this planet", all they do is think hunger, and the space ship does the rest.
It puts an interseting twist on the end of predator. the creature isnt laughing because he prevented himself from being caught, but because he is thinking "I'll be back".

Yer right, only the EXPRESSIONS of ideas...

...and not ideas themselves may be copyrighted... I s'pose that's why even though we've all heard of the so-called "hindu-arabic" zero, Japan went ahead and used their OWN version of zeroes at Pearl Harbor.... So much fer copyright infringements, I guess...

:)