What is your favourite book of all time?

The DragonLance Chronicles, it was the first fantasy trilogy I read as a kid and I still love the setting and world.

This is way too difficult to answer outright, so I'll just mention a few that I have read over and over and over again;

* Carpe Jugulum
* Feet of Clay
* Watership Down
* Wolf Speaker
* Cold Moons
* Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

So, not necessarily my all-time favourites, but books I have re-read over and over again.

Gutsy choices! And if I'm honest I'd agree with four of the six, which must mean I need to get hold of and read the other two.

Like others there cannot be just one book here is a few

Waylander-David Gemmell
Lord of the Rings-J.R.R.Toilken
Men at Arms-Terry Prachett
Tarot trilogy-Piers Anthony
The Stand-Stephen King
The Survivor-James Herbert

Hmmm. Been reading since I could. Books from an early age that got you to read more and more is what I`m going to give you here as my favorites. Bram Stokers Dracula, The Lord Of The Flies, The Hobbit, A Tale Of Two Cities. These are my first and best loved. Later loves would include Robert Heinlein(most everything he did) The Lord Of The Rings(read three times), Neil Gaiman is the newest.

I have to say that one of my favorites, if not my most, would have to be Mirror Friend, Mirror Foe by George Takei and Robert Asprin. I have many others including Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny, Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K. Le Guin, Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling and last but not least Tower and Hive series by Anne McCaffery.

Raymond E. Feist - was the reason i got more into the fantasy genre, but then there's the count of monte cristo - dumas, a classic, and robert jordan's a wheel of time , a tale of two cities - dickens, another classic. george r.r. martins - a song of ice and fire. too many, just too many.

If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable things - Jon Macgregor, The Swords of Night and Day, and Ravenheart - David Gemmel, and Little women and all its sequels - Lousia Alcott (that's my embarrassing revelation! :p)

Lacedaemonian said:
I know it has probably been asked half a hundred times already on these boards but some questions just beg to be asked. I am not talking about what book you consider to be the best, I am purely interested in which is you favourite. The book can be from any genre, any reading age and quality really does not matter. Only include a series as your answer if the series constitutes one continuous story. I know it is a bloody tough question but I will try to start us off. (No doubt I will change my mind as this thread grows).

The Warlord Trilogy by Bernard Cornwell.
My favorite books of all time are the Warriors series by Erin Hunter and Guardians of Ga'Hoole by Kathryn Lasky. What is your favorite book?

Foxbat said:
There are so many wonderful books out there. If I was pushed, I'd have to say Jean de Florette/Manon des Sources ..known together as The Water Of The Hills(yeah, I know that's two books but they are really two parts of the same story)

My reason? I think this story is beautifully written with fine characters (which I really began to care about the deeper I delved into the tale). But most of all, I think this story is a fine example of why sometimes 'simplicity is best'.

Ps. Moby Dick came a very close second:)
My favorite books of all time are the Warriors series by Erin hunter and the Guardians of Ga'Hoole by Kathryn Lasky. What is your favoite book? Reply quickly.

Crumbs, my favourite book of all time, I reckon it would be books, so here goes people.......

1. Weaveworld - Clive Barker (so obivious!)

2. It - Stephen King

3. The Stand - Stephen King

4. Books of Blood - Clive Barker

(My favourite story from that collection was 'The Yattering and Jack' - very cool)

5. Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban - J K Rowling

6. The Diary of Anne Frank - Anne Frank

7. All The Dark Tower Books - Stephen King

Not necessarily in that order :)

I am sure there are more but I can't think of them:)

Attachments

• It would never open again.jpg
    It would never open again.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 290
I agree! Pride and Prejudice has to be one of my all time favourites, but it did take a while, and sometimes I had to read a paragraph twice. Apart from that, Eldest by Christopher Paolini was a fantastic book, I couldn't get my nose out of it until I had finished!

I tend to give books that I like multiple readings over the years, because with the best books it's impossible to get it all on the first reading. In fact, that's part of my definition of a good book, that it rewards rereading.

It's a bit like the difference between infatuation and a lasting relationship. Some books grab you with their novelty, or pull you along at a breakneck pace eager to find out what happens next. But once the novelty wears off, or the suspense is over, the flaws start showing up. With other books, the better you know them, the more your appreciation deepens.

So I couldn't name my favorite book of all time, because that keeps changing -- not as I read new books (I do a lot of that too) but as I reread old ones and discover new reasons to love them.

People have already named a few books that I love more and more over time: Pride and Prejudice, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Earthsea Trilogy. They have each had their day as my favorite book -- and may again.

Wow, I completely zoned out on that one thinking of all the books I have loved throughout the years. I have a hard time picking one favorite.

At the moment I would have to say it is La Reine Margot by Alexander Dumas.

I do have to give mention to Sunshine by Robin McKinley though.