(Found) Can't remember title of book

smannesman

I once read a book and I really want to read it again, but I can't remember the title. I'd really appreciate it if anyone knew the title.

It goes something like this.
The church found a parasite on a planet which enables humans to be resurrected. But the main character of the book doesn't want this, but needs to take the parasite to save his life because he's to be executed for killing a man.
And then he escapes with a girl who can see the future and activate ancient alien gateways.

Something like that anyway, if you know the title and/or author I'd really appreciate it.

Unfortunately this one doesn't sound familiar to me at all. Do you have any other info that might aid a search...character name, date of publication (or approximation), possible authors, name of church (if not based on real church and religion), name of planet the parasite was found, name of parasite. Any of these might help an internet search.

I've just done a search, and I think the following is what you are after:

Dan Simmons - Endymion (1996).

The story begins some 300 plus years after The Fall of Hyperion. A young girl, Aenea, is foreseen is a great threat to the current ruling Hegemony in the galaxy, a twisted version of the Catholic Church that relies on the cruciform parasite and the promise of resurrection to hold sway. She is protected by the Shrike and some of her other companions while she tries to unravel her destiny. Trying to stay ahead of her pursuers, Aenea, begins the journey to confirm her role as the coming messiah, one she may not live to fulfill. Her protector, Raul Endymion, tells the tale from his orbital prison.

Publisher is Bantam Spectra Headline

It's actually mid series - of a series of novels named after some peoms by Keats, which I remember as filled with Greek Mythology, rather than anything as modern as the Dan Simmon's plot suggests.

:)

Attachments

• hyperion.gif
    hyperion.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 323
Just how many aliases does Brian have? How often does he try to fool people?
What could by his motivation? What if it's all a conspiracy? When will it all end?
Spartacus Syndrome:
I'm Brian.
No! I'm Brian!
I'm Brian and so's my wife!
biggrin.gif

Back