help with an australian book

Thunderchild

Indefatigable
When I was young I read a fantasy book set in contempary Australia (or rather the 60s or 70s when it was written). It was about a boy whos parents had died in a car accident and was sent to live in the bush with his aunt and uncle(i think). There he discovers a number of weird creatures , including the naagen a rock thing that will destroy all in its path. I dont know who wrote it (possibly female) but i thought it was called 'The Naagen and the stars' - or some other spelling similar, but i cant find anything on it... can anyone help?

Yes I know the book you're referring to and I remember reading it myself as a youngster.

The book is called The Nargun and the Stars, published in 1974 by female author Patricia Wrightson for which it won Australian Book Of The Year award.

It draws upon aboriginal folklore and is a YA book for young teenagers. Here's a short blurb to refresh your memory:

Simon is devastated when his parents die. He’s even more devastated when he has to move to Wongadilla and live with relatives he’s never met. When the Potkoorok (tricky water creature that likes apples) befriends Simon things start to clear up. But a rock creature called a Nargun begins killing farm animals trouble brews. This is a story of Simon’s adventures to drive the Nargun out of Wongadilla for good.

I knew you would know it GOLLUM - the sad thing is I think I still have it somewhere, I just cant find it in the hundreds of book my parents have collected over the years

Thunderchild said:
I knew you would know it GOLLUM - the sad thing is I think I still have it somewhere, I just cant find it in the hundreds of book my parents have collected over the years
Glad I could be of help and I'm sure if you dig deep enough it will surface somewhere...:D