Your favourite Malazan novel to date

Currently, The Bonehunters is my favourite. I reckon Toll of the Hounds might knock it off the top spot eventually (if Reaper's Gale doesn't) - the reason for this is that I really like every second book in the series. DHG was my favourite, then HoC came in at second favourite, and now BH is top:

- The Bonehunters
- Deadhouse Gates
- House of Chains
- Midnight Tides
- Gardens of the Moon
- Memories of Ice

Just thinking about MoI, there were parts in BH that reminded me of MoI (I bet you can guess which).

Astonishing. Of those 6, my list goes something like:

Memories of Ice
Midnight Tides
Gardens of the Moon
Deadhouse Gates
Bonehunters
House of Chains

Takes all sorts eh ;)

Oooooh let's see. (I've probably already posted in this thread, but meh).

First time round:

MoI
DhG
HoC
GotM
MT
TBH
RG

second time around:

HoC
DhG
MoI
MT
( these three below are all about the same)
GotM
TBH
RG

Strange how things change second time around :) I think the emotional impact of MoI was lost, second time. There was still one scene that got me crying - the bit where Itkovian tells the Imass he'll take their sorrow, and all their thoughts and memories start flooding him.

One of them thinks something like, 'I dreamed I stood with the First Sword and denied the ritual,' and that really got to me. Beautiful.

But, for the second-timer, I think HoC is the best, info-wise. All those positions in the Houses, laid out and interplaying. Cool :)

House of Chains would prolly be my second favorite in the series, because I love me some Karsa, but the emotional impact that Memories of Ice had on me was something that hasn't happened since the Red Wedding.

The defense of Capustan is one of the most amazing story lines I have read in the fantasy genre.

Reapers Gale is top of the list for me,
Steve keeps getting better and better

Gardens of The Moon is very good specially the Darujistan part.

Shame the second book is crap compared to it.....

Looking at the last few responses, it's funny how everyone is drawn to different books, guess that shows what a wide scope Erikson covers!

Personally I struggled through GotM, but saw enough there to make me carry on, and was rewarded with DHG which is probably my favourite still. I recently finished Bonehunters, and it took me 5 months to get through - there were many reasons for this, but one of them was that it did not keep me coming back to it. That being saids there were some stupendous moments, that were just un-put-downable!

In order:
Dead House Gates
Memories of Ice
House of Chains
Gardens of the Moon
The Bonehunters
Midnight Tides

Of course that might change as I think back over the books in the following months.

Have decided to take a little break from Erikson now for a few months, but will return! Doesn't mean I won't have a crack at the other Malazn novels by Esslemont

I've only read the first four but so far it has to be memories of ice. Simply amazing and the first of the series that I read (I didn't know it was the 3rd one.)

I've only read the first four but so far it has to be memories of ice. Simply amazing and the first of the series that I read (I didn't know it was the 3rd one.)
What?? So the Malazan world itself wasn't complex enough for you and so you decided to start from the 3rd book to make it more challenging?? :eek: ;)

Did you have to read it again after finishing the first two?

No I was a bit extra confused but I managed to remember most of what happened. Well, most of the main events but I still felt like reading them all again incase I missed something.

I thought Toll the Hounds was awesome, greatly enjoyed it. It certainly topped TB, RG and HOC for me. Here's my favorites (re-sorted list).

Gardens of the Moon
Memories of Ice
Midnight Tides
Deadhouse Gates
Toll the Hounds
House of Chains
The Bornhunters
Reaper's Gale

Rank in order of my favourates-

Gardens of the Moon
Toll the Hounds
The Bornhunters
Reaper's Gale
House of Chains
Memories of Ice
Midnight Tides
Deadhouse Gates

Having just finished reading Dust of Dreams, I've now read all of the Erikson Malazan novels, the Broach and Bauchelain novellas, and Esselmont's Night of Knives (but not Return of the Crimson Guard) one time each.

I'm about to embark on a complete reread, so my opinions will probably change, but my current favorite is House of Chains, followed closely by Memories of Ice.

My least favorite Malazan book is Esselmont's Night of Knives. While it contains some useful info about the General Malazan backstory, I found the tale itself pretty sophmoric and poorly written. I've been assured that his Return of the Crimson Guard is much better, and I'll certainly read it just for completeness.

I love these books. Apart from Tolkien and Donaldson, I've never really cared much for fantasy, but Erikson has created one of the best series I've read in any genre.

I really enjoyed MoI of course but I also really enjoyed Bonehunters, especially the second half. I like it when the gods get involved.

Just starting Reapers Gale now but I find myself not wanting to blast through it as I have done in the previous novels and I not it does not score very highly in peoples lists...is it any good? words of encouragement please... :)

Interesting, my list begins the same as yours:

Memories of Ice
Midnight Tides
Deadhouse Gates
Bonehunters
Gardens of the Moon

But then:

Dust of Dreams
Reaper's Gale
House of Chains
Toll the Hounds

For me, Deadhouse Gates is easily the best of the four I've read. In order:

Deadhouse Gates
House Of Chains
Gardens Of The Moon
Memories Of Ice

For me Memory of Ice

Still the best combination of Pathos, Comedy and Action.

My three favourites:

The Bonehunters (best combination of everything I appreciate most in this series)
Midnight Tides (the singlemost memorable scene, imo; and the turning point after which I no longer felt totally lost, lol)
The Crippled God (a fine send-off)

A step below:

Dust of Dreams (reminded me of The Bonehunters)
Toll the Hounds (interesting meta-fiction)
Memories of Ice (great set pieces)
House of Chains (part one was unique)
Deadhouse Gates (creates a legend)
Gardens of the Moon (intriguing start, if bewildering)

Reaper's Gale often appears near the bottom of these rankings. It's not a bad novel (still four out of five), but at the time of reading I couldn't appreciate the importance of some of the storylines, there was a whole lot of politics going on, and I think some of the torture scenes went further than necessary.