Interesting Jeff Vandermeer Interview

ravenus

Heretic
at Darkecho

Stuff about genre authors finding more mainstream readership and all.
EXCERPT:
"What I would like are more mixed and negative reviews of books. If you look at the reviews right now, you see a vast sea of saccharine. I refuse to believe that this is such a golden age that 90 percent of the books being published are great. It's just not true. So, more truth in reviewing. More reviewers with backbone. More reviewers not impressed by 'names' would be nice. Not being cowed just because a book has already gotten up a head of steam with four or five prominent rave reviews. That kind of thing."

Interesting, hey? :)

Yes I tend to agree to a certain extent with these observations, too tired to provide a comprehensive reply though.

Thanks for the post Ravenus...:)

I think Vandermeer's got that absolutely right. I haven't read a bad review for a book for a long time, and I know from reading them myself that they aren't deserving of the praise they get. That said there are occasionally a few very good reviewers who write honestly about the books (ie Jay at fantasybookspot.com, a few at the sfsite.com, a few here and there) - but they are the exception, when they should be the normal.

Back