Favorite aspects of science fiction

Princess Ivy

Damsel in this dress
My favorite aspect of science fiction is colonisation. if i see a conectgion with colonisation in a blurb description, i'll probably try to read it. favorite novels in genre are salt - adam roberts, pern - anne maccaffrey, Frank Herbert (oh, so many) and Larry Niven.
I also love exploring aspects of human psi abilities. many of the same authors, and some others as well.
so, which aspects make you enjoy a science fiction novel? same a me? a totalitarian regime? post appocoliptic niceness? there are so many aspects to enjoy...

Elaborate descriptions of technology, life-forms and cultures will get me (even at the sacrifice of the plot). I will happily read fictional travelogues and gazeteers.

(gah, can't edit my previous post:()Oh, and any truly original alien species I've never seen the like of before. Like in Peter Hamilton's "Pandora's Star"

I like the way the 'explorers' who have landed on another planet find ways to adapt to their new surroundings and start a new life there.

I like it when they explore civilizations and how they work and evolve over time.

Rane Longfox said:
(gah, can't edit my previous post:()Oh, and any truly original alien species I've never seen the like of before. Like in Peter Hamilton's "Pandora's Star"
but how few genuinly new species are explored. usually just the same old monsters *climbs on soap box, realises that need it for laundry purposes and climbs down again*

Princess Ivy said:
but how few genuinly new species are explored. usually just the same old monsters *climbs on soap box, realises that need it for laundry purposes and climbs down again*
'Tis very true... But that makes it even better when you do get some;)

The tensions and contradictions between the immutable laws of nature, the somewhat more flexible laws of physics and mechanics, and the almost totally elastic laws of sociology and ethics, that their perpetrators consider every bit as absolute as either of the others (you build a ringworld using traditional mechanics, travel to it in hyperdrive and the inhabitants use interspecies sex toresolve differences, while half your visitors can't even communicate with females of their own species)
Too much flexibility in the physical laws, or too much rigidity in the social ones, tends to give a bland, mainlinish story- though, as with all things, there are exceptions

I would have to go with discovery - when a character stumbles upon the ruins of an ancient civilization, or pilots his ship into some mysterious realm, or solves some ancient puzzle. Anything dealing with discovery will always get my vote.

I am also very fond of future religions and philosophies.

I don't really have any favorite aspects, but I'd tend to read books if there is conflict in the literal sense of the word.

I'm a sucker for space travel but, in truth, don't really mind what aspect of Science Fiction I'm reading...just as long as it leaves me with that sense of wonder:)

I think I would have to say individual Characters, I read to escape the mundane features of my life without superhuman powers, or and especially a crafty sort who is able to defeat a cleverly conceived alien or power, or ....

A good science fiction story is one that can take you to fantastic places and make you believe that such places can exist.

Last edited:
I like it when what I'm reading is unlike anything I've read before.