Eddings now and forever

My favourite has to be Ulath...and Aphrael :D

The Elenium and Tamuli trilogies are the only ones I've read so far, and I wasn't too impressed with some of the backtracking in the story, like he's trying to teach a five year old to remember what to concentrate on...But the characters were good, Sparhawk was admittedly a bit of a pain, but so would anyone be with his wife and daughter...

Then again, I like the camaraderie they all display in their interaction, and the periodic repetition of certain jokes...although by the end I was more groaning than giggling at 'Be nice' and other jewels...

Fun to read once, I might even go back to read them again in a couple of years, but not one to put among my favourite authors...

I read most of eddings work exceptfor his first seires and im working the one. I have no memory for book titles, i just remember the story. But I really loved Athulus. I found it to be very amusing. But everyone has their favorites.

I just bought the Edler Gods two days ago, the first one in the Dreamers seires. I havent had time to read it all yet but I have read the first 100 or so pages and its pretty good so far. I really like it. :D

Twelve said:
Oh, I forgot to write about what I like to read...

Ummm...outside of the OTHERLAND series, I have much respect for Tad Williams' work.

I like Terry Brooks.

I have mixed feelings about George R.R. Martin.

I like R.A. Salvatore.

Like Michael Moorcock.

I like Robert Holdstock.

I also like to read historical fiction, mystery, military, and espionage books.

Have you read Bernard Cornwells' Harlequin, If you haven't it sound like you would like it, I thought it was great, but I like Eddings so I'll leave that one with you.

jerchar said:
Hello everyone,
I just registered, I would really like to find somebody who likes Eddings as much as I do, right now I am re-reading The Elenium, just finished the first book, it's even better than seeing a movie for the second time. Does anybody hate Sparhawk, I would like to hear what you think of him, women I think will almost find him perfect, whereas men.... I am very curious about your comments.
Hi Jerchar

I love Eddings and it's nice to see that I have someone else here that thinks his books are great (with a couple of exceptions, one being the Riven Codex!) I really like most of the charactors but when it's been a while between readings I confess to mixing some of them up. I reread the Belgaread about 6 months ago but I havent read the Tamuli for ages. Will start to read again in hopes of long discussions about how great it is!

I read 'The Losers', his non fantasy one. It was really slow to start, but I ended up loving it. He's got a really nice voice to his writing, very clever.

I think Eddings is awsome at describing events and a true genious when it comes to working through a problem. The will and the word what better of a way to describe magic? I truely dont think we got to hear enough about chaldan and nedra enough we were decribed all the rest in good detail. I believe Eddings is very good at what he does and anyone willing to put that down hasnt read enough.

Eddings' quality deteriorated badly after the Garion books. He wrote some excellent fantasy at the beginning, but then fell away. I know that Elenium/Tamuli have their followers, but I don't think much of them at all , and anything later is a waste of paper.

I must agree with you, although i liked Althalus as well. The new series is so boring, I cannot believe that Eddings wrote it. I still think that the best books he ever wrote were Polgara and Belgareth.

I read The Belgariad series about five six years ago (im still a teen...don't hold that against me) and I loved it, im pretty sure over the space of those said five-six years Ive read the series about four times unfortunately My towns library is pretty shocking (it rarely has even the classics like Jane Austen or the Bronte sisters) and I've been unabe to finish the Mallorean series. I have read the Elenium and Tamuli series and enjoyed it but did find it a bit disappointing at the similarities. I have other favs but im young and still in love with Belgariad.

I read the belgariad about 12-15 years ago and loved it. I moved immediately onto the mallorean (although only the first 3 parts had been released at the time) and gave up on volume 3. I found it boring, and almost the same as the belgariad. The characters seemed invincible and there was no sense of danger.

Admittedly, that is one of the biggest criticisms about Eddings. The stories can be basic and the characters/storylines very similar, although the early books can have a lot of charm.

I liked Belgaroth, Polgara (they didn't quite tell bits of the story I wanted to know, but great reading all the same) and Athalus (on the top 100 list of must reads for a bookstore here and the only others are Magician and Hobbs so I guess it has mainstream popularity appeal)...but can't seem to find a copy of the Rivan Codex on any bookshop shelf (allbeit I may not be trying hard enough). I suspect from the comments of others there may be a good reason for this. I seem to have missed the Belgariad. Respect is his due ... the Belgariad is now 20 years old + and a lot of great fiction has been written in that time.

Try eBay or Albris for a copy of Rivan Codex. It's an interesting insight into the process of writing.

I have enjoyed even Eddings book I have read. David and his wife Leigh are a good team. In the Belgariad they set out to write an epic quest, and they did so.
Then they did it again with the Elenium series.
And Sparhawk is my favourite grumpy, middle aged veteran who has one more big quest still in him.