Shannara Series Is it set in this wourld

Really enjoyed the first installment of children of the Armageddon, I knew that he would eventually create the bridge between shannara and knight of the word

I think what gave it away to me was re-reading the Sword fo Shannara after having read the Word and Void series. At some point Allanon is talking to Shea about power, and he mentions the power of the Word. No mention of the void, but it jumped out at me.

I'm really pleased they are connected and that we will see Terry's vision of the transformation the world will go through. I loved Armageddons Children and look forward to the next book :D

According to his forward in the version I have, it is set in this world in the future after some apocalypse has wiped out most of mankind. Man retreated back to a primitive state and lost most of their scientific knowledge, in the future science seems to be replaced with magic.

Am looking forward to reading The Gypsy Morph book three of the Genesis of Shannara.
Hopefully we will all see the final conflict, in which the very shape of the land is changed (from that of our world) into the Four Lands (of shannara).

Am looking forward to reading The Gypsy Morph book three of the Genesis of Shannara.
Hopefully we will all see the final conflict, in which the very shape of the land is changed (from that of our world) into the Four Lands (of shannara).

Me too, Dek. I also thought Armageddon's Children was great. Barristan, I'm late reading this thread, but your catch on Allanon's (the druid character from the story, not the Chrons member, with apologies to the latter!) reference to the Word is great. I skimmed the sections I thought it might be in, but couldn't find it.:(

Regarding our world, I haven't read any of the referenced Brooks' interviews, but IMHO the story in Sword definitely starts as a future hundreds (if not thousands) of years from our "now". (Tons of references in Sword alone, from Allanon's opening narrative to the King of the Silver River's flashlight to the rusting steel girders where the beast that attacked the valemen lived, etc.). If you pick up the connection from The Word and the Void series, Brooks is joining the timelines from the two series in Armageddon's Children just a relatively few decades into our fictional future, ostensibly (among many other plot connections, I'm sure) to finally tell that tale of the Elves "...that must wait for a later time...".

OK, what have I missed? :eek::D

I also thought from the very beginning that it was obvious Shannara was set in our world. What really really irks me, however, is the fact that I didn't so much as suspect that the Word and the Void series was meant to ratify that link until AC came out. I thought it was a totally unrelated story. It's a disgrace, I know. Shame on me :(

- Dreir -

Our world. He's now started to link the dire, "Knights of the World," with the second-rate, "Shannara."

Pity he can't write for toffee.

I thought there was a reference in the first book "Sword of Shannara" that indicated that this use to be our world. Wasn't there a street sign that they came across or something? Although I never connected the Shannara world with the Word world, I always thought it was based in our very, very, distant future.

Our world. He's now started to link the dire, "Knights of the World," with the second-rate, "Shannara."

Pity he can't write for toffee.

Tsk, Ace. Surely he at least rates the salt-water variety? ;) I like much of his stuff, and would actually suggest that The Word and The Void series is better than Shannara in a number of respects.

Agreed. One or two of the Shannara books stand out but the Void series is better on the whole, I think. Although he's far from the top of my favourites list, 'dire' is probably too harsh a word to describe Brooks' writing :).

- Dreir -

Agreed. One or two of the Shannara books stand out but the Void series is better on the whole, I think. Although he's far from the top of my favourites list, 'dire' is probably too harsh a word to describe Brooks' writing :).

- Dreir -
Let's call it Generic then....:D

Welcome aboard, haven't seen you here before...:)

In the second book of the original trilogy, when they were in the forest jst before being attacked by the demon, they came across the remains of a concrete building with metal struts. The moment I read that I started to think about where they were and then it hit me! Shannara is Earth, but set about 2000 years in the future. In the books, they frequently refer to the great war happening 1000 years before the 1st war of the races which occurred 1000 years before the original trilogy. So about 2000 years in the future.

- Dreir -

I have to disagree, Dreir. Dire definitely describes all of his writing beyond the Sword of Shannara, and now that it's been 10+ years since I first read it, even that one is a bit on the.....sorry.....side.

Nonsense. Unless, of course, you're referring to the situations his characters face within the books, in which case I agree. Otherwise, I think the Word and Void series is as well considered, written and crafted as most other SFF, if not more so. It certainly isn't the top of the heap, but decidedly closer to the top than the bottom.

It most definately is our own world, but many many many years after today. Remnants of this are the "long forgotten" craft of alchemy, the metal structures and of course the AI that the folks faced in....god, I don't even remember in which one that happened. But it was when Walker was Druid, that's what I know.