Wicked and Son of a Witch

dwndrgn

Fierce Vowelless One
Gregory Maguire's take on the old Wizard of Oz tale didn't truly grab me the first time I picked it up, that's why I've never read Wicked - in fact, I don't remember anything about it at all.

So I just read this review of the sequel, Son of a Witch, which seems to be telling me that I've missed out. http://www.calendarlive.com/books/bookreview/cl-bk-tatar2oct02,0,1558052.story

Have any of you read Wicked or it's sequel? What did you like/dislike about it?

I've tried to read Wicked (over halfway through before I abandoned it) and a couple of other books by Maguire. They just weren't to my liking. Too dark, without any really sympathetic characters or beautiful writing to make up for it, and the plotting is sort of loose. They are not by any means retellings of familiar stories but complete re-imaginings, with only the most tenuous connection to the original tales. The setting in Wicked is quite unrecognizable as Oz, except that he tells you so and some of the names are the same.

On the other hand, his books are very imaginative, and lots of people love them.

I've read both and just finished Son of a Witch less than 10 minutes ago and quickly jumped online to find people to talk to about it. There is so much to be said. I loved them. I will try to explain why.

Wicked of course is emotional. When I first picked up I was expecting something completely different. I was turned off at first untill I realized that this wasn't about an adventure but rather a telling of Elphaba (The Wicked Witch of the West.) To me it was more like reading a documentry. I hope you'll pick Wicked back up because the ending is truely emtional and you will sympathize with the character (which is what makes it emotional because you don't really understand where Elphaba is coming from untill her final days.

I will say as for his writing both books have been similar in that the entire book was more or less a build up to the final 30 pages or so where everything seems to happen. That's when everything is resolved or left unresolved in an unsettling way. I really recommend it but yes both books are dark however Son of a Witch is a much easier read I found. Hope that helps.

Teresa Edgerton said:
I've tried to read Wicked (over halfway through before I abandoned it) and a couple of other books by Maguire. They just weren't to my liking. Too dark, without any really sympathetic characters or beautiful writing to make up for it, and the plotting is sort of loose.

I haven't read Wicked, but I read Mirror, Mirror about a month ago and disliked it--strongly--for the reasons Teresa mentions, although I think that some of the writing has the potential (or at least, the literary ambition) to be beautiful.

Brown Rat said:
I think that some of the writing has the potential to be beautiful.

Yes, I've always felt that, too, when reading (or trying to read) something by Maguire, which probably explains why I get frustrated. Each time, I feel that the book could be -- is just on the verge -- might become absolutely wonderful at any moment -- and yet, for me, it never quite gets there.

I could insert a sexual metaphor here, but this is a family friendly site.

On the other hand, his writing is very imaginative and (as you say) ambitious, and I do admire that.

I loved wicked, thnough i confess it took nearly 2/3rds of the book to get into it, but that last 1/3 is well worth it.

I've not read any of Maguires other stuff, but i found the 'oz' setting for wicked very recognisable, i could picture it all exactly like in the original book (ok, and the film.) and felt it fitted well. I agree that you dont really care about Elphie till the end, but once you actually find out whats behind her thinking, the whole thing makes sense.

i dont know if any of you have seen the broadway musical based on the book, but if so, dont let that little smaltz-fest put you off. The books much darker, must more mysterious, and has a really intriging (and completely different) plot.

I read Wicked because of the musical. my friends play the musical's music for a long time and I just decided to read Wicked since, of course, the musical's based off of it. I didn't really like it all that much. Not to say I dsliked it, it just was too dark and had too many sexual references for me. I liked the idea and most of the book, just not some parts. I do want to read the sequel, and hopefully my neighborhood library will have it in when I get home.

Both books Wicked and Son of a Witch were great. Also I would add that Mirror,Mirror a must read and happens to be my favorite of the three.

As noted above, the books are quite dark -- Wicked even moreso than Son of a Witch. They are, however, quite worth reading, and the metaphors on the power of the state and the role of the individual work and are in the best traditions of effective, interesting and relevant sf.

It's also worth reading Wicked, because the musical will be around for a long, long, long time, and it's amazing to see the adaptation job they did on the musical's book. Unlike the novel, the musical is much brighter and even ends on a high note. (no pun intended). Winnie Holtzman deserves great kudos for finding the new story in the old story that came from the even older story.

dan

I read and quite enjoyed "Wicked"... and I am currently reading "Son of a Witch"... and so far, I like it as well. I am not at all impressed with his other books, but these two really grabbed me for some reason. They are light, fun reads. Nothing more... I try not to overanalyze books like this because I don't think they are meant to be anything more than fun and interesting.

I read wicked a few year ago and I liked it a lot. It is dark novel but I liked it for its look at classic characters and showing a new viewpoint. I didn't find the characters exactly likeable but they were understandable.

I haven't read the sequel yet but I will look it up to read it now that I know it exists.

i LOVED wicked. i really did. am seeing the musical at xmas too. i thought it was lovely. it was very sad, i guess cos we all know she's going to die from the start, but she's a really great character. it is slow going at the start, i didn't care about her parents one bit, so all of that was irratating, but when she gets to college and things get going, it's better. and i liked the allegories, the reflections of things about our own society, just about Animals instead. all the deeper things going on. makes you think, but not in a heavy, preachy way.

elphaba is one of my favourite characters ever now i think
not read the squel tho. mostly because, without elphie, im not sure i care. her son never interested me that much.

have to say, the sexual references are pretty mild. there's a few cases of actual sex, a few sort of references, but it's really not that detailed. i mean, i didn't notice anything that heavy, and i was sort of glad elphie got a lover (she did. spoilers for anyone who didn't know that, but as the squel is about her son i guess that's obvious) just because she had such a hard life, i was glad to see she was happy for a bit :)

I have heard only good things about the musical. The original cast was awesome, and I heard one song performed live on TV and loved it. I don't get out much to see stuff like that, hard to get a sitter, plus my husband isn't really into musicals, though he'll grin and bear them with me from time to time.

As for the Wicked, I loved what he did with the character of Elphie... I can relate to her on so many levels... SO many levels. Her outside didn't match her inside... a lot of facets there. I may go back and read it again soon, as I feel I'll relate to it in a whole different way now.

Son of a Witch is pretty good. Not too far into it, but I'd say it's worth reading. You probably didn't feel drawn to Liir because Maguire didn't focus too much on him in the first book... now you get to hear his side, and how his upbringing with Elphie made him who he is. Interesting.

the_faery_queen said:
have to say, the sexual references are pretty mild. there's a few cases of actual sex, a few sort of references, but it's really not that detailed. i mean, i didn't notice anything that heavy, and i was sort of glad elphie got a lover (she did. spoilers for anyone who didn't know that, but as the squel is about her son i guess that's obvious) just because she had such a hard life, i was glad to see she was happy for a bit :)

oops, must have missed this post earlier. I agree. Even witches need love, lol. In fact, maybe they need even more of it than those lucky 'dorothy' types that have it all.

...and... it's only assumed that Liir is her son, right? At the beginning of Son it leads us to believe he's not sure about it or about his paternity.

I think he is. You'll find out why at the end. I absolutely adored Maguire's books, except for Lost. My favorite was Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. It's truly amazing and you'll never expect the ending. Trust me, I didn't and I'm like a book oracle.

well elphie seemed to think it was fiyero's son. she would know if she'd been bonking anyone else! liir may not believe her, because she wasn't that great to him. poor kid. not maternal myself, so i can totally understand her behaviour towards him, especially considering what happened, but i do feel bad for him. (and i felt bad for the bear cub, the dog, Fiyero, and Animals. i spent a lot of the time reading going, OH NO! when something bad happened to someone, even mild characters. but i think that's cos they were still animals. and i always hate it when bad things happen to them, far more than to people. that poor bear cub!) anyway that's a tired ramble! i may read son of a witch. i have nothing else going on (actually i have oracle's queen on its way, but with a flight/holiday to swansea coming, i need a book for the trip)

and i think part of my disinterest with liir was also the way he treated elphie. she was my hero! i thought she was so cool, but he took dorthy's side, wasn't very sympathitic (all with good reason) but that still ailenated me from him a bit. would like to know if the girl is ok, so that might be worth reading the book for that :)