Covenant Movie

I would positively hate for a TC film to be made, and would avoid watching it at all costs. For a start, so much of the work revolves around internal thought processes and all sorts of subtleties which can't really be translated to the big screen, but regardless, I'd much rather keep the image of the world the books have conjured for me than have a film-maker's interpretation shoved into my mind (I take this stance with pretty much all films based on books, actually).

I have to agree with most that say the inner turmoil is the main theme in most the books, I have image of the all the first and second sets in my mind. I haven’t started “The Runes of Earth” yet but if it holds true to his form it would be hard to incorporate his writings and intent into a film. I don’t know if I could bring myself to watch it if it does come out.

Only thing I can think of is it would be a whole new story and not really the Thomas Covenant stories.

It just wouldn't work: deep, philosophical movies and the box office don't go hand-in-hand without prolonged action or cheesy comedy; anti-heores aren't usually accepted by the general public; rape scenes would make people get up and leave, regardless of how the protagonist fails to make-up for it, especially if people came expecting a movie like "Lord of the Rings" or "Chronicles of Narnia". The Chronicals are just too boring for the teenager market, too brutal for the hopeless romantic market, too slow for the die-hard action goers, and too blasé for the general fantasy market. The only people who would enjoy it would be fans of the series.

The only way the film can make profits is if they tear off the integrity of the first volume, condense or shy away from important scenes, for the mainstream audience. And I, for one, will not stand for it: the books deserve better than that. If the only way we can get a movie of The Chronicles is if the developers remove the deep, significant philosophies, then I don't want one. Covenant deserve better than cheesy one-liners, a character melodramatically screaming, "Noooooooo!" as another dies, exclusion of any of the scenes to fit within two hours, an audience with the ability critically think no better than a box of rocks, and people screaming, "Ahhhhh! Rape!" and "Lord of the Rings was better because they were all pleasant and gay. And the elves were hawter there."

Hollywood cannot do this, as its "All style, no substance." Indie filmakers might have a chance of doing it more justice, but unfortunately they aren't the ones producing this. If this movie is produced, it will either kill it's own integrity or kill its own profits. Either way, there won't be any sequals.

It's all about the money :(

I am a big fan of Covenant and It's impossible to convey those books to the big screen. But I will go see the movie when it comes out -just for fun. As long as I can keep a separation in my mind about it my sanity should remain intact. But please do not cast Keanu Reaves in the part of Thomas Covenant!
If that happens then I definitely will not go see it.

I agree with you guys,this 'saturn',idea sucks,why can't film makers stay true to the books,''If it ain't broke,why are you trying to fix it?''.If we wanted a different story,we would ask for it,where do these guys get the arrogance to think they can make a better story than the original.''LEAVE IT ALONE ,DOPEY!!!''.

It's all about the money
Very true.

Personally,I think if they can't stay true (or at least reasonably true to the book) they just shouldn't bother. Still, you only have to look at Branagh's Frankenstein to see that staying close to a book doesn't always work.

I think it could work if they approached the darkness and torment of it, say, "Interview With the Vampire" style. Getting the audience to sympathize with a rapist would be the hardest part, so woe to anyone who tries to approach that amateurishly! Covenant would also have to be played by an absolutely AMAZING actor- no pretty boy could do it justice.

As with Middle-earth in LoTR, the Land is as much a "character" in the story as the actual people, and could tie it together nicely, balance out the unavoidable magical/CGI scenes.

For me the portrayal of Saltheart would also make or break it.

As a longtime fan who started reading Covenant when the books first came out and dozens of times since, I've been waiting with anticipation and dread for word on this movie. Anticipation for the possibility of seeing a good interpretation of the books on the big screen and equally dread of how Hollywood could bastardise it by casting a pretty boy lead incapable of displaying the emotions of anger, self-depreciation and doubt that are such an integral part of Covenants character. If it needs big financial backing (and it will!) then Hollywood will insist on screwing up the story ie dumping the leper, dumping the rape, dumping the inner turmoils of the characters and all in all being utterly incapable of bringing the feel of the land, its vitality, the love it peoples have for it and its opposite Despite. I can just see Foul being betrayed as a nasty, scheming bad boy by someone like Christopher Lee. It just won't work. While all us true fans might want adherence to the books, without a director of the clout of someone like Peter Jackson the studio will just boss the outcome. So much and all as I would sell my spleen or large sections of my liver to see Covenant the movie and see the wonderful splendour of the books on screen (Most of all I would just love to see the battles against the giant ravers. Wow!) most of me says no to this whole idea. Sniff, Sniff.:(

well said mrs..... anyway. the movie has supposedly been in production for ages now, if it was gonna be a rubbish crap director and crap cast it would have been filmed by now, they must have a large budget and difficult cast if it's been taking this long to get done. and think about it, the Chronicles was a best seller for a long time, and Donaldson was set to sit on the right hand of Tolkien, if Tolkien's trilogy made a Blockbuster set then im sure the Chronicles will be something good. The Lord Of The Rings was in production for a long time as well. so people, chill out and just relax, evry liddle ting, is gon' be alryt. ;) :D

Blue Boy are you in the 'know' on this? I'd just love to know for sure that the bloody thing is being made one way or the other and then I'd happily leave them alone to go and make it!

Hmm not sure about this...how on earth are the going to potray his inner turmoil:confused: .To much will be lost in the translation.I will go and see it but will probably go away with a bitter taste in my mouth:( Oh well hope I'm proved wrong.

You are right. One of two things will happen with this:
1. The producer will choose a tacky, cheesy way of doing it that will subtract from the story.
2. They will ignore it and subtract from the film that way.

To be honest if you look at the length of the books, a lot will be missed out. even when you remove descirptions which will be shown, then a lot will have to be missed out or the films will be too long for a lot of people (not me, i really want to see these bad)

And by the way, I live in england and the first that i heard of these movies was tonight on this thread. I have just paid £15 to buy the second chronicles so dont say anything that will ruin it as i planned to read them over my holiday.
Oh, if they change the title then be prepared for the sotry to change a little, once the producer changes the name from the original book title, they have the right to make as many changes as possible.

Even if they botched the movie completely it would never ruin my thoughts on this wonderful story because I would still be able to recall how it effected me emotionally as I read it for the first time.

I hope someone figures out how to portray "inner turmoil" in a motion picture because there are a lot of very good stories that have that aspect to them, and god knows I'd love to see some new stories for movies instead of the re-runs that hollywood churns out.

Last I read, this was a dead issue. Nothing moving forward at the moment.

One small consolation for us fans is that MUCH of the imagery was nearly impossible to film is now doable via CGI... it depends much on the quality of the studio that handles this film. The writing is going to be challenged by the sheer volume of the series. LOTR was difficult enough for Jackson (who, I wouldn't mind if he helmed the Covenant series...) to keep as much of the story intact while cutting a lot out (Tom Bombadill for example). What really made the film click was the actors and crew all were fans of the book(s) and were willing to extend their contracts to film additional scenes to enrich the film(s).
As a mini-series this could work if given enough money and free reign.
Still the costs of this, with all the scope and characters ... it'd be an expensive monumental task.

It seems unlikely that we will ever get s Thomas Covenant film.

It seems unlikely that we will ever get s Thomas Covenant film.
I believe you are correct. Donaldson's time with Covenant has largely passed. The most recent addition to the series of book didn't exactly spark a revival of reading and fandom--especially new fandom. That would be important in driving interest for film or some sort of television miniseries or series.

A friend of mine who also like the Covenant books was also a Tolkien fan and always dreaded the Lord of the Rings books being made into films for fear they wouldn't do the books justice. With the films made, they seem to have done a pretty good job so have some hope, with the right director and writer(s) for the screenplay, the same could done here too.