(Found) help IDing a book...

Thunderchild

Indefatigable
I was talking to the owner of my local second hand book store and asked him if he could recomend a fantasy book for me - who reads almost exclusivly sci fi... unfortunatly I forgot its name...

What i remember is this,
It deals with a roman army/legion who have been transported to another dimension that is similar to our world but not the same - he also said that it didnt really have any fantasy creatures - which is why he thought it may appeal to me...

any ideas what it might be?

GOLLUM

Could be paret of Harry Turteldove's Videssos Cycle/series that deals with a Roman Legion that is transported to a magical world.

Book 1 is simply entitled The Misplaced Legion, ring any bells mate?

Winters_Sorrow

Unreg. Mutant Moderator
Staff member
It also reminds me of "Ghost King" by David Gemmell which deals with a missing Roman Legion in Roman Britain.

GOLLUM

Winters_Sorrow said:
As it happens, I think Gollum's probably closer to the Mark (pun intended! :D )
We shall await with interest...:D

It's the only one I could think of, never heard of that other one but then again I've not read anythnig yet by Gemmel.

Rane Longfox

Red Rane
Winters_Sorrow said:
It also reminds me of "Ghost King" by David Gemmell which deals with a missing Roman Legion in Roman Britain.
There was also one similar to that by Rosemary Sutcliffe, called "The Eagle of the North" (well, I think it was a series actually, but I can't find it on Amazon at all, so I can't check) But this isn't what you're looking for, as they weren't taken to another world or anything...

GOLLUM

caladanbrood said:
There was also one similar to that by Rosemary Sutcliffe, called "The Eagle of the North" (well, I think it was a series actually, but I can't find it on Amazon at all, so I can't check) But this isn't what you're looking for, as they weren't taken to another world or anything...
True but I remeberr that one Cal! I loved reading anything by Rosemary Sutcliffe or Henry Treece in my teens, thanks for the memories!!...:D

Thunderchild

Indefatigable
GOLLUM said:
Could be paret of Harry Turteldove's Videssos Cycle/series that deals with a Roman Legion that is transported to a magical world.

Book 1 is simply entitled The Misplaced Legion, ring any bells mate?
think thats it - i remember he said it was part of a trilogy

GOLLUM

Winters_Sorrow said:
well slap ma thigh & pass the man a ceegar - looks like you win this round, Gollum :)
Well actually WS there's currently 10 books in this series/world, some of which are prequels but the main missing legion books currently form a quartet, so hold onto that cigar until Thunder can confirm with the owner...:rolleyes:

Thunderchild

Indefatigable
Well I managed to pick up all 4 in the 'main' series for AUD$25, its definatly what he was talking about - I havnt got that far in but I like what im reading so far

GOLLUM

Thunderchild said:
Well I managed to pick up all 4 in the 'main' series for AUD$25, its definatly what he was talking about - I havnt got that far in but I like what im reading so far
Donations may be delivered to The Basement 46 Literary God Drive, Melbourne, Australia 007.....;) ;)

Think I need that cigar now WS......:D

GOLLUM

Winters_Sorrow said:
Not sure you deserve one for such a flunky, jammy guess...."double O seven"! :p :)
Well for me the reward is in providing members with the correct answers....:rolleyes:

Nighy night now, happy reading......:)

dannymcg

The mackerel of the cornflake
The Eagle of the Ninth