Catherine Asaro

amara

Amara
Has anyone read The Charmed Sphere and Misted Cliffs?

What did you think of them, i thought they had some interesting ideas, about magic working with shapes and colours.

I've seen these books around but yet to read them, Asaro writes both Fantasy and Sci Fi. Although both books are stand alones they're set in the same world and form part of a trilogy so read Charmed Sphere before the Misted Cliffs.

I'm not suprised to hear her playing with ideas of light and shapes as she's had a background as a Harvard Phd. and Professor of Physics before turning to writing on a more full-time basis. Her husband is also an astrophyscist at NASa so sounds like a pretty brainy family...:D

Those 2 you mention are Romance fantasy for those interested in this particular sub-genre.

Here's a link to the author's website:

http://www.sff.net/people/asaro/

I've not read this authors books, are they for very YA's

Skolian Empire
1. Primary Inversion (1995)
2. Catch the Lightning (1996)
3. The Radiant Seas (1998)
4. The Last Hawk (1997)
5. Ascendant Sun (2000)
6. The Quantum Rose (2000)
7. Spherical Harmonic (2001)
8. The Moon's Shadow (2003)
9. Skyfall (2003)

Aronsdale
1. The Charmed Sphere (2004)
2. The Misted Cliffs (2005)

Triad

1. Schism (2004)
2. The Final Key (2005)

Novels
The Veiled Web (1999)
The Phoenix Code (2000)
Sunrise Alley (2004)

Collections
Charmed Destinies (2003) (with Mercedes Lackey and Rachel Lee)

Anthologies
Irresistible Forces (2004)

Anthologies
Christmas Forever (1993)
Civil War Fantastic (2000)

Short stories
Dance in Blue (1993) Nebula (nominee)
Aurora In Four Voices (1998) Hugo (nominee)
Boot Hill (2000) (with Mike Resnick)

Awards
Hugo Best Novella nominee (1999) : Aurora In Four Voices
Nebula Best Novella nominee (1999) : Aurora In Four Voices
Nebula Best Novel nominee (1999) : The Last Hawk
Nebula Best Novel winner (2002) : The Quantum Rose

rune said:
I've not read this authors books, are they for very YA's
I wouldn't think so Rune, after making her list of books and she's written with Marcedes Lackey. But that's just a hunch. I've read through some different websites and interviews with her and didn't see anything about age appropriateness for works.

Alia said:
I wouldn't think so Rune, after making her list of books and she's written with Marcedes Lackey. But that's just a hunch. I've read through some different websites and interviews with her and didn't see anything about age appropriateness for works.
I think you'll find that her books are more YA but for teenagers not smaller children. Here's a link to an article on one of the books where one of the reveiws refers to her earlier stuff as YA.

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=62-0765309513-0

Amara will probably be able to tell us...:)

yaa, her books are more for teenager, some of the content wouldnt be appropriate for younger kids. I thought all in all they weren't a bad read if you dont want anything very complex and deep to read.