Straken

The new book sounds terrific, Rune. Another for The List !! :rolleyes:

So, I have tried looking at the cover page sideways, from a distance and even upside down - is that supposed to be a monster, a druid or what :confused:

rune and Rosemary - the book isn't too bad. The action keeps moving forward, we get an interesting surprise, and our suspicions were well founded...

Rosemary said:
The new book sounds terrific, Rune. Another for The List !! :rolleyes:

So, I have tried looking at the cover page sideways, from a distance and even upside down - is that supposed to be a monster, a druid or what :confused:
I would say that the image is supposed to represent the demon that exchanged places with Grianne Ohmsford. Can't recall it's name at the moment, but it will come to me later...

It's good that the current series is completed because I'm interested in seeing how he tackles the pre-history of Shannara. This will take up to 9 books to complete, the first next September will begin the chronicle of the Great Wars and the destruction of the Old World (i.e. Our world)....:D

It's on my to read pile,should get round to it when I finish Erikson,James Barclay's Cry of the Newborn and GRRM's Feast of Crows.Not really looking forward to it as Jakra Ruus was a bit of a let down

GOLLUM said:
It's good that the current series is completed because I'm interested in seeing how he tackles the pre-history of Shannara. This will take up to 9 books to complete, the first next September will begin the chronicle of the Great Wars and the destruction of the Old World (i.e. Our world)....:D

I couldnt get into this current series. But the pre-history does intrigue me so I will probably get the first book for that one :D

GOLLUM said:
9 books for the pre-history! Is that a normal amount Gollum?

Rosemary said:
9 books for the pre-history! Is that a normal amount Gollum?
Probably not but then he must have a number of themes he wants to flesh out and I think you'll find the idea is he wants to literally chronicle the demise of the pre-shannnara world and the rise of the first druids and other races, establishment of the Druid council etc..in some degree of detail or so I've read/heard...:D

The High Druid of Shannara, imo is the poorest of all the Shannara series.Although Straken was the best of the three.This will not put me off reading the pre history series as the tedium in this series may be a temporary glich

nixie said:
The High Druid of Shannara, imo is the poorest of all the Shannara series.Although Straken was the best of the three.
Well that's good news as it's sitting right next to me and the next book to be completed. I agree this trilogy hasn't been all that good really...

Gollum, have you noticed the similarities between Straken's cover and Deadhouse Gates' cover?
Straken
0743259467.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Deadhouse Gates:
0553813110.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I think it's the same artist doing both covers, but even so there's a surprising similarity.

Brys said:
Gollum, have you noticed the similarities between Straken's cover and Deadhouse Gates' cover? I think it's the same artist doing both covers, but even so there's a surprising similarity.
Yep that was well spotted indeed, I just checked the backs of both books and it states Cover Illustration: Steve Stone.

As DHG came out well before Straken (albeit not so long ago for the US market) it would be interesting to know what input Terry Brooks if any had in the cover art i.e did DHG inspire the Straken art work or did the illustrator feel he was on a winner with no reason to change too much? Of course we must remember that both stories take place in a kind of desert style wasteland, so it's not totally uncanny but still intriguing. Naturally that's about where the comparisons begin to diverge exponentially IMHO..;)

Does anyone know when the paperback version is going to arrive in Australia.Thanks !

David M said:
Does anyone know when the paperback version is going to arrive in Australia.Thanks !
By paperback David I assume you mean the smaller Mass Market Paperback vs. Trade paperback, which has been out here for at least 9 months.

MMPB of Straken RRP $18.95 will be out by end of October, to roughly coincide with the release of Terry's next book marking the start of the Shannara prequels Armageddon's Children in OZ.

Has a cover had so little relevence to the content of a book?!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Toby Frost Toby Frost 10
Toby Frost Toby Frost 8