Should Blake's 7 come back as a movie continuation or a remake?

Should Blake's 7 come back as a movie continuation or a remake?

• It should come back as a movie continuation

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • It should come back as a remake

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitestar

Well, it's been some time and there's still no updates on the so-called B7 movie. I think B7E is just spinning their wheels and pulling our legs. There's been a lot of speculation regarding Paul Darrow's abrupt departure from the project, one of them being that his health is declining. I would not be surprise if that is the case considering that he is a heavy smoker. After B7E promising to provide updates on the movie and then not following through, I really don't trust their motives and I question their intentions. Therefore, I think the best course of action is to have someone like Joe Strazynski to do a remake. It's common knowledge that he is a huge fan of B7 and I think he could do a far superior job of creating a remake than B7E movie continuation. Should Blake's 7 come back as a movie continuation or a remake?

Whitestar

To be honest, neither...

Blakes 7 had its day... Look at what has happened with other remakes of old shows, they tend to be as good as the originals... (Okay, Battlestar Galactica is one serious exception)

You wouldn't have the same interaction between cast/characters, or the same appreciation by fans/audience...

Who would you see play Blake, Avon, Jenner, Villa, Servilan, Orac (or would he be left out)??? Would you go for an all British cast or all American???

Interesting - Strazynski has certainly shown he is a brilliant writer in the right circumstances - he could pull off a B7 remake, but a movie format might be too constrictive in comparison to a serialisation for him.

Personally, I'd love to see Strazynski work on something that has proper backing, but I think the fact that there is already a lot of apparent "politics" behind the Blakes7 revival means that it may be difficult for anybody to properly develop it at present.

Hi there, new to the boards here, but a huge B7 fan. I'd love to see it back in whatever format it finally turns up in, however, I do feel a continuation of the story rather than rehashing it. The problem with direct copies for me is that I always end up contrasting and comparing (as it were) the old with the new characters - and inevitably the originals always win.

They could somehow get it to fit, with a good script writer - and have ongoing characters in terms of the ship and computers therein.

The Master™ said:
To be honest, neither...

Blakes 7 had its day... Look at what has happened with other remakes of old shows, they tend to be as good as the originals... (Okay, Battlestar Galactica is one serious exception)

You wouldn't have the same interaction between cast/characters, or the same appreciation by fans/audience...

Who would you see play Blake, Avon, Jenner, Villa, Servilan, Orac (or would he be left out)??? Would you go for an all British cast or all American???

Actually, I happen to have a list of actors who I think will fit the bill in the following roles:

Orlando Bloom as Blake

Lani Tupu as Avon

Kate Winslett as Jenna

Kevin Spacey as Vila

Lexa Doig as Cally

Ewan McGregor as Dorian

Peter Tuddenham as Orac/Zen

Rebecca Riggs as Servalan

Robert Carlyle as Travis

My thoughts:

Although Kevin Spacey is an american actor and Lexa Doig is canadian, I do think they have what it takes to bring the characters of Vila and Cally to life. All they have to do is talk with a british accent and they'll be all set. When I first saw Kevin Spacey in the Usual Suspects, he looked like a younger version of Vila with that haircut of his. And Lexa Doig has that beautiful exotic look to fill in the role of Cally. Ewan McGregor would be great as Dorian, the character featured in the fourth season premiere who piloted the ship Scorpio. I've always thought Dorian should have been part of the crew since his introduction and would have played well against Avon. I just wished the writers killed Dayna and replaced her with Dorian because she was the one character I liked the least, with Gan taking first place. Peter Tuddenham would be the only returning actor to voice the characters of Orac and Zen, which is quite fitting since he only has to provide the voices and would bring a sense of continuity and homage to the original series. Rebecca Riggs would make a perfect Servalan considering her work on Farscape and Robert Carlyle would make a very good Travis. Mr. Carlyle's performance in the James Bond flick, "The World Is Not Enough" was quite chilling and scary. He would fit the bill nicely. There's my two cents.

Do you have any ideas for casting actors in a new B7 tv series?

Whitestar

i know that i would probably want to kill myself if they cast Orlando Girly Bloomingdales as Blake. shudder.
i would so NOT be down with a remake, no no no! the original is PERFECT exactly the way it is, re-doing it would be sacrilege. SACRILEGE!!

No, no, not Orlando Bloom, I have to agree with Jenna on that.

I would like to see a continuation, perhaps with all new characters.

I agree absolutely, positively 100% with Jenna on this. Leave Blakes 7 as it is. You could never recapture the spirit of that show in a remake or a sequel. It was so much a product of its time.
I would love to see more sf series but how about something original. Blakes 7 is beautiful and perfect. Leave it alone!
Robin

Never mind a remake, I'd just prefer it if those that mattered pulled their fingers out and released season 4 on DVD. Now that would do me just dandy:)

The BBC should do what they have done with Doctor Who. But spend even more money and make it as good as Battlestar. It certainly has the potential. And the BBC certainly has the resources.

I think its about time we starting producing high profile sci fi programmes. We have the acting and the writing ability. We just need the special effects and backing.

Questions like should a remake or movie be done shouldnt even need to be asked. We can always compare with the previous version, but if whilst making a new version we look to the past then it should be better. Thats if the right people are selected.

So It's been a While is there any news on the remake ?

I think you would have to start it all over again from the beginning
I loved Zen
and avon was one of the best anti-hero's ever

Status
Not open for further replies.