George Martin goes beyond the wall

Gazz

Beyond Hadrian's Wall
(Sorry for not introducing myself or anything yet, i've only just worked up the effort to register here, and i can't remember where you go to introduce yourself :confused: )

George Martin is coming to Scotland on the 22nd of October, specifically to Borders Bookstore in Glasgow, but they haven't even deigned thus far to update their own events list to include him as yet. Its supposedly 1p.m. he's there at, i suppose i'll just hang about Starbucks.

Thus, wondering whats actually going to happen, whats the 'normal' procedure? Just go in, get the book signed, maybe ask a few questions and such like? I've been reliably informed by a friend that introduced me to ASOIAF that they actually got a 'talk' from the man himself, he didn't say what it was about - i think they took it as an excuse to go to Boston and get thorougly hammered and didn't really remember much about what went on.

Hi Gazz! You go to General and then Introductions to introduce yourself.

I've not been to see GRRM before but when I saw Robin Hobb she read something from her book and then answered questions - before signing copies of the book. I'm assuming that it will be something like that... I'm hoping to go along to the Glasgow signing and maybe meet up with the Brotherhood without Banners (I found out about this from Raven) if I have time.

Maybe us lot from beyond the wall will get to meet face to face before the master!

Welcome to the Chronicles Network, Gazz! :)

The BwB are a fairly cool bunch Tenalpia, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself - say Hi to GRRM for me and ask him to hurry up with book 5! :D

Hi Gazz,

Well, it depends on a number of things: what the store manager wants, what the chain will allow, time, and of course what George wants. But what George generally wants is to spend as much time with the fans as possible. :)

Hence, I don't know what the format will be. Certainly, last time I mailed George about it he didn't say anything, so he may not have known himself at that point. (That was a couple of weeks back, tho.)

If I had to guess, I'd say it's possible that George will read a chapter, but it's likely to be one of the ones he's already read: maybe from AFFC, maybe from ADWD. Then, the signing, and yeah, you can ask questions. ;)

After that, as Ten says, some of the fans have planned to have a few drinks and repair to my friends' house for a mini-BwB gathering (check out the website, http://www.bwbfanclub.com/). You're certainly welcome to join us, as is anyone from these forums. :) And you should have no problems identifying us. But if you want to arrange to meet us, feel free to send me a private message.

Sounds great, i was a bit nervous about posting a first topic here -- it'd be the first booksigning i'd ever go to.

Thanks guys

Borders, Glasgow from 1pm on the 22nd October.

Borders
98 Buchanan St.
Royal Exchange Square
Glasgow, G13BA

Opening Hours: Monday - Saturday 08:00 am to 10:00 pm
Sunday 10:00 am to 09:00 pm

p.s. I noticed on the Borders events website that GRRM's signing isn't even mentioned but Des Lynam is slapped all over the headlines - I despair sometimes, I really do.... :(

p.p.s. for those interested, I notice the Glasgow Borders will have Neil Gaiman doing a book signing for Anansi Boys on the 9th November from 1pm (sorry for rubbing it in Jay & Knivesout ;) )