Harry Potter, 8th Book?

Well, as much as I like the HP books, I'm glad it's over. It was a good ending to a long and arduous journey for Harry, the writer and us as readers. I hope that Ms. Rowling continues to write with the same zest and vigor as she has employed thus far, but I think that continuing to write about Harry would just prolong his time, like the toast metaphor in Tolien's Lord of the Rings. We don't want the other people that have not discovered Harry and his mission to be left with a bad taste in their mouth from the last novel that really will be recieved and thought of as the continuation of something that has ended.

I think we should let Harry go and just re-read him to our heart's content, rather than making him fit into something he can't.

But does anyone know why someone should have rights to publish a new book? If another author writes the 8th volume of HP, wouldn't it have the full rights for that book?

Yupi1, another author cannot write the 8th book unless Rowling authorzies it. She has the copyrights to the character.

I love the Harry Potter books but i think she finished it off pretty well. Cant ask for more then that.

hmmm... it would have been finished off pretty well... if not for that attrocious epilogue... i think the epilogue is the reason i've only read through DH twice...

Well I agree with some of the other posters that we don't need an 8th potter book. Rowling has wrapped up the series nicely. But, I sure hope she continues writing. It would be sad if she just settled now that she is rich beyond belief. I'd like to see her write about a completely different realm, maybe something more adult oriented or still fantasy but not involving magic. Or, if she created some new storyline set in the Potter world that could be interesting too.

As sdorot mentioned, it'd be interesting if she continued writing, but it'd be even more interesting if she started a new story - but perhaps a brand new storyline, new characters, environment and so on? Doubtful, but still. Time will tell.

Yup, also agree with others. An eighth book is not needed. It'd be nice to have a bit more insight as to what the characters got up to after Hogwarts and what lies ahead but I think it would probably seem a bit flat after the ending of The Deathly Hallows.

JK Rowling should probably try writing something else (I imagine she already is). I think the only problem she will hvae is that whatever she writes next will be directly compared to Harry Potter, whether or not they are even vaguely related.

Personally I really enjoyed the Potter books so I'll hve a glance at whatever she writes next and if it's "the eighth book!" then I'll take a look at that too!

Following the court case between JKR and Steve Vander Ark over the HP Lexicon it would seem almost certain that she is planning, if she has not all ready begun, a Harry Potter encyclopedia. I don't think it can really be counted as an 8th book (as we have Quidditch Through the Ages, Fantastic Beasts and Beedle which are not considered to be in sequence) but I think it will be a fantastic addition to the series and something which will no doubt reignite the fandom and keep the HP spirit alive.

I don't think her motives are money driven at all considering she would never need to lift a finger again with the amount the franchise has made and the geneal feeling is that the proceeds from the encylopedia would go to charity anyhow.

With the amount of notes she has on backstories of the characters it could be quite a weighty tome lol, I look forward to it!

I'd find a prequel series, maybe about the original Order of The Phoenix, really interesting.

I'd find a prequel series, maybe about the original Order of The Phoenix, really interesting.

There's certainly a lot of material that could be put into the Harry Potter-verse equivalent of "Belgarath the Sorcerer" (for those familiar with Eddings' work) where the near-known before Lily and James' murder is fleshed out, presumably ending with said attack. Whether it would be exciting is moot, as we know how it ends. It's often the bugbear of prequels is we know what the end will be.

I want prequals.
I want Voldemort to return when Harry is growing up.

I would agree never to read the final 2 Wheel of Time Books in exchange for just one more Potter.

JKR has today stated/repeated she has no intention of doing an 8th book. However, she WILL be publishing a load of her background material, including some new stuff created in response to fan questions.