New Tim Powers novel soon

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy

Knivesout no more
Three Days To Never, Tim Powers' new novel, is already up for pre-order at the Subterranean Press website, so that's where you should go if you're waelthy and can't wait. Hopefully, there will be a mass market paperback at some point in the near future. In the meantime, here's a synopsis:

[font=Arial, Helvetica][size=-1]When 12-year-old Daphne Marrity steals a videotape of Pee-Wee's Big Adventure from her grandmother's house, neither she nor her college-professor father, Frank Marrity, have any idea that the theft has drawn the attention of both the Israeli Secret Service and an ancient European organization of occultists -- or that within hours they'll be visited by her long-lost grandfather, who also wants that videotape.
bookindent.gif
And when Daphne's teddy bear is stolen, and a blind assassin nearly kills her father, and a phantom begins to speak to her from a switched-off television set, Daphne and her father find themselves running for their lives through a southern California in which magic and the undead past are dangers as great as the guns of living assassins.
bookindent.gif
From ancient prophesies about Israel to the secret lives of Charlie Chaplin and Albert Einstein, this breathtaking novel throws a suburban father and daughter into the midst of an ancient supernatural battle.[/size][/font]

Interesting. I have yet to attempt a Tim Powers novel though I intend to get the Anubis one soon (it's the only one my library has). We'll see if I have a new author to keep an eye on.

I didnt care much for the book I tried by Powers from my library earlier this year. However, I may try another of his and see if that agrees with me more. I just found his plot confusing to follow.

Powers does have a bit of a kitchen-sink approach to plotting at times, as this review of his new short story collection, Strange Itineraries mentions. Either way, it's another book I'm looking out for.

power's gate is one of my all time favs.

Last edited:
rune said:
I didnt care much for the book I tried by Powers from my library earlier this year. However, I may try another of his and see if that agrees with me more. I just found his plot confusing to follow.

Do I recall from another thread that you began with Earthquake Weather? That probably wasn't the best book to start with, as it's the conclusion of a trilogy. Granted, the trilogy is very loosely associated, but Earthquake Weather is where the first two books join up, so I can see how it might have been a bit difficult to follow. I think it would have been better if you had begun with Last Call, followed that with Expiration Date, and then read Earthquake Weather. If you want a stand-alone Powers, Declare a try. Or, it sounds like some of his earlier works might also suit...I haven't read those, as my library system is a little sparse on his books.:)

Hey Lil'miss, I never got back to you about "Kim" and the other thread is now closed. But it's really interesting reading it with Declare in mind, making a villian out of your typical boy hero. Well worth a read or reread after Declare, although "Kim" ends with O'Hara at about 16 and just beginning his spycraft.

Back