National Press

Mark Robson

Dragon Writer
For those in the UK who are interested, The Independent newspaper is planning to run a story on me tomorrow - Saturday 24 Sep 05. Barring a major news story breaking in the meantime, it has been allocated the space. I will try to arrange with Brian to make a copy of the piece available (one way or another) here for you to see afterwards.

That's awesome new Mark!! Are you going to rent out rooms in your new palace? Gollum's basement is getting a bit crowd with all the newbies in it. :)

I shall have to buy a copy. Any idea whereabouts in the paper it'll be?

PS. Bought your series today, finally. It's on 3 for 2 in the window display. Impressive;)

Well, if the story is there, then I need a microscope! I'm guessing it's been moved to Monday's edition. Apologies if anyone bought it especially before reading this. :eek:

OK, I now have it on reasonable authority that the article will be appearing in this Saturday's (1 Oct) paper. Having been disappointed last week, I guess I won't be holding my breath quite so hard this week. If it's there, I'll arrange a link.

I just read it from The Master's link. Great story Mark (Paradox tips his hat).
It's fantastic to see that all your hard work is starting to pay off. You're a fine example of how enthusiasm, determination and patience can win the day. It's a real inspiration for those of us who dream of similar things.

P.S. I bought "The Forging of the Sword" a couple of weeks back and have just started reading it. Very enjoyable so far - you grabbed my interest right from the map page (I love stories with maps. :D )

Well done!

I tried it twice from The Master™'s link, and two or three times from another link that came to me via email. No luck. The columns are only partial columns and are squished together so that they make no sense.

Is this a browser problem?

edit: Whatever it was, I tried it on a different family computer and it came out ungarbled this time.

Here is the text version for anyone else with problems:

RAF pilot becomes high-flying author with a charming future

By Louise Jury, Arts Correspondent

Published: 24 October 2005

An RAF pilot with an unconventional approach to publishing is being tipped as a fantasy fiction bestseller after his personal charm on the bookshop floor finally won him a high-profile publishing deal.

Mark Robson, 39, who began writing when bad weather grounded his DC10 in the Falkland Islands, has been snapped up by the publishers Simon and Schuster who are to publish his novel, Imperial Spy, in the spring.

But unlike most newly signed writers, Mr Robson has already published more than 30,000 of his books himself - after his first attempt at writing was rejected by every literary agent and publisher he sent it to seven years ago.

Encouraged by friends and family who loved the story, The Forging of the Sword, Mr Robson found a printer, commissioned an illustrator and proof-read and typeset the book himself.

"I had some money in the bank, I thought I'd do it as a hobby, not something that would make money. I was aware that self-publishing fiction is suicide," he said.

But he turned the venture into a triumph by adopting a marketing strategy thought to be unique. Offering himself as a free floor-walker to bookshops near his RAF base at Brize Norton, Wiltshire, he would engage shoppers in conversation about their tastes.

If they wanted a dictionary, he would take them to the reference section. If they liked Lord of the Rings, he would tell them of his own fantasy offering, written for teenagers, with crossover appeal to adult readers.

He routinely sold between 50 and 100 books a day, a figure that would not shame established writers doing traditional signings.

His total sales now exceed more than 31,000 copies of what became a four-part series, The Darkweaver Legacy, a figure to rival the output of a small independent publishing house.

Yet it was only when he unknowingly approached the head buyer for Waterstone's who happened to be in a bookstore in Windsor that British publishers were persuaded to take notice.

Scott Pack advised Mr Robson to update the covers of his titles, which he has with illustrations by top fantasy artist Geoff Taylor.

But Mr Pack also sent copies of the book to publishers and agents and finally won a publishing deal for his next book, an offshoot of the current series.

Mr Pack said he was won over by Mr Robson's enthusiasm. "But he has actually written a very good series of books. It's mature and intelligent and he's got strong female characters as well as strong male ones.

"But I think his story is on a par with [the writer] GP Taylor, whose Shadowmancer was originally self-published."

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought... When are you going to sell the movie rights to your books???

And we'd all like to be there for the filming and the premiere!!! :D