Utopia By Thomas More

GOLLUM

Hi all.

I've read this book recently and quite enjoyed it. The book Utopia was written by Thomas More in 1516 as I understand it in a less than veiled attempt to cirticise the English and European society of that time. It's also where the phrase Utopia as used in the modern context was first coined or introduced into Western society.

The story basically follows an imaginary adventurer, Raphael Hythloday, who has visited a distant island called Utopia. More then proceeds to write the book based on Rapheal's experiences. The society that is painted is one where men and women are equal, all religions are a given an equal footing, everything belongs to everyone, commnuity is more important than an indviudal's ambitions, money does not exist etc...

I't's been suggested that whilst More didn't necessarily believe in a Utopia but rather a world that could be improved upon by studying such a model others did embrace this idea and for this reason alone it has been seen as a most influential book in terms of the later development of e.g. Communism in Europe.

Obviously due to human infallibtilty this style of Utopian society is not practically achievable (as witnessed throughout history) and who is to say we would want a world modelled exactly on More's imaginary country BUT I for one quite enjoyed some of the prose presented, eventhough this read was at times a little tedious for me.

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone else has read this book and would like to pass on any comments about it.....:D

Sounds interesting - I'll have to look into it.

Couldnt find a website for this author Goll, you got a link to post?

rune said:
Couldnt find a website for this author Goll, you got a link to post?
Well seeing that this author was around almost 500 years ago I'm not surprised....;)

Nah just joking, here's a wikpedia link to Sir Thomas More for those interested. Utopia is considered a literary classic, so I'm sure some of the members have read it...:D

Sir Thomas More 1478-1535, posthumously known also as Saint Thomas More, was a lawyer, writer and politician. He was a well known humnaist scholar who held several public offices including Lord Chancellor from 1529 to 1532. He is remembered for his principled refusal to accept Henry VIII's claim as supreme head of the Church Of England that ended in his execution.

A well known film A man For All Seasons that I've seen before was also made about Thomas More in the 1960s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_More

Hope this helps Rune.

Show you how bad my history is, I didnt make the connection :eek:

Don't worry Rune, there's plenty of times I've not made the connection b/w an author and a book....:)

So are you interested enough to check this book out at some stage?

Thanks Leto I was aware there were free text versions on the Net but sometimes I like the feel of the actual book. Anyway at least members can now check it out. You read it Leto?

Long time ago, for school comparing his Utopia to Rabelais' one. Don't plan to re-read it anytime soon.

GOLLUM said:
Don't worry Rune, there's plenty of times I've not made the connection b/w an author and a book....:)

So are you interested enough to check this book out at some stage?

No, I dont think it will appeal to me. Have enough of a pile of books that i want to read without reading something that doesnt really appeal.