Dan Simmons fans?

Prefx

Lord of the City-Within
Just wondering if anyone here enjoys Dan Simmons? I'm mostly talking about his science fiction, but I'm opened to anything even relating to his name (although I wasn't too fond of A Winter's Haunting.)

My favorite one of his books is, of course, Hyperion. It was actually the book that got me interested in science fiction. On the contrary, all I can credit Bradbury for doing is introducing me to science fiction. Although I respect Ray Bradbury for what he's done (I found F451 charming), I think his works are too rushed and you can never appreciate the stories behind them (in my opinion).

But back on topic. Hyperion just fascinated me. His ploy on politics, religion, and all the more subjects was mind-blowing. I actually felt like I was living in the Hegemony. The Fall of Hyperion was good aswell, but unfortunately I haven't come to finish his Endyminion books (I fell in love with the characters too much, and I'd rather have the story end right then).

I also enjoyed the Ilium. My favorite story would have to be the one concerning the "Wondering Jew" and how he plays out post-human dominated Earth. I'm thinking of getting Olympus once I gather the cash needed.

I've just finished Olympos, the sequel to Illium, and loved it all. Even the ending, which is quite unusual for me;)
Hyperion is on my to-read pile, but nfortunately so are half the world's rainforests:eek:

I've only read Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion and Song of Kali. Hyperion was, I thought, excellent and a worthy read, but its sequel Fall of H was not nearly so strong, riddled with too many confusing plot threads, improbable occurances, and a completely baffling ending (if you can call it that). Song of Kali was pretty good, but I'd say I admired it more for its imagery than for its plot.

I like Simmons but I'm far from a fan. And for the record my favorite is Carrion comfort

Beside Hyperion, I like his Summer of Night.

Crook Factory and Darwin's Blade are also quite interesting but are not what we call SF - rather historical and political detectives.

Song of Kali was pretty good, but I'd say I admired it more for its imagery than for its plot.
I was intruiged by Song of Kali for its India connection. It was a terrifically written book with some really scary parts although the ending was clumsy and unfocussed.

I've read Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, and Summer of Night. Loved all three of them. I have the Endymion and Illium books in my posession, but have not read them yet. Going thru a bit of a reading lull right now.

I guess you can say I'm a fan. I've gone to a couple of Dan Simmons book signings, and the guy comes across as a very down-to-earth and intelligent person.