Stephen King

I have read most of Stephen King's novels, they are all good, my favourite short stories book is 'Nightmares and Dreamscapes' and 'It' and 'The Stand' are my all time favourite.

Just thought I would let you know:)

I've been a King fan since I read "Carrie" in the1970's. Granted some of his books are real dogs but in general I keep reading. I never got through "Dreamcatcher" because I just couldn't see the story getting good enough to overcome the anal arrival of the aliens. But I thoroughly enjoyed many of his books. I haven't made a concerted effort yet but I need to see if his accident did more to his writing than just delay it for a year or more.

I love his earlier books and his short story collections. I also enjoyed the Bachman books. I think King is a wonderful storyteller and he has the ability to imbue everyday objects and events with a frightening sense of the sinister. I think he's very good at constructing believable characters. I get a clear picture of who these people are when I read about them.

I was not impressed with The Stand, Dreamcatcher, Gerald's Game, From a Buick 8, Desperation and The Regulators. The Black House (that he co-wrote with Peter Straub) was a huge disappointment. I only enjoyed the first story in Hearts in Atlantis.

The Bachman novellas were outstanding, especially Rage, The Long Walk and Apt Pupil.

I loved Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption.

Daisy: the one you don't like are probably some of his best. The Stand is probably his best ever.

I know that The Stand is highly regarded by many but it simply didn't do much for me. I read it, thought it was ok and have no desire to re-read it. Unlike my favourites, that I return to regularly every few years.

I stand (no pun intended) by my preferences. :)

The books I really like are the ones that "spoke" to me. The others simply didn't.

I love his earlier books and his short story collections. I also enjoyed the Bachman books. I think King is a wonderful storyteller and he has the ability to imbue everyday objects and events with a frightening sense of the sinister. I think he's very good at constructing believable characters. I get a clear picture of who these people are when I read about them.

I was not impressed with The Stand, Dreamcatcher, Gerald's Game, From a Buick 8, Desperation and The Regulators. The Black House (that he co-wrote with Peter Straub) was a huge disappointment. I only enjoyed the first story in Hearts in Atlantis.

The Bachman novellas were outstanding, especially Rage, The Long Walk and Apt Pupil.

I loved Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption.

Wow daisy, you picked some good ones to not be your favorites, I agree with you on From a Buick 8 though, it was fun to read but there wasn't much to it. At least I thought it was fun. I thought Black House was great, and Gerald's Game really creeped me out. The part in Gerald's Game about the "space cowboy"(sounds cheesy, but it wasn't) especially at the end when you find out who it was, really freaked me out.:eek:

I guess with me it has never been about how well a writer ends the story, I have never read an ending where I was like "wow, that was a great ending", I just don't think it is that important. It's more about the journey for me.

I have read Regulators and Dreamcatcher, and really enjoyed them both. Probably enjoyed Regulators more, but that has a little to do with watching the film version of Dreamcatcher, which I found disappointing.

I also thoroughly enjoyed Storm of the century, even though it was really long , it was a very entertaining watch. I haven't read it but the 3 part programme is well worth a watch.

On the down side though, I found 'Salems lot' a struggle from the word go and have to admit to never finishing it.

I mean - for example, with Salem's Lot - didn't you think there was something of the element of consequences missing from the final chapter? After all, what happens to the town and the people in it is going to have some kind of consequence, isn't it? I felt disappointed that I don't remember reading that being alluded to at the end. It made the events seem to occur in a bubble, aside from reality. Am I really just pining for him to write good epilogues?

First off, let me say that I have enjoyed every SK book that I have ever read. That said, I did find the ending of Salem's Lot hurried, something just felt missing. I do know that in one of his short stories(in Night Shift I believe), he goes back to Salem's Lot which is basically a ghost town at the time and some new protaganists encounter the vampires.