Polynesian Philosophy??

Sopophile

Hey y'all, I'm having one of those brain cramps. I forgot the word OSC used in Children of the Mind, the one that means "enough already." It was introduced on the polynesian islands, I think, in the Peter storyline when he's trying to find someplace to put Jane when the computers are shut down.
This is seriously bugging me, and I can't just go look it up because I am a refugee from Katrina and all my books are under water in New Orleans. :eek: Cry for me later, first just somebody tell me what that word was!

Cheers,
Cat

I think the character who introduced the concept I'm looking for was Grace Drinker. Any help?

That sounds perfectly infuriating! I'm araid I haven't read the book in question - hopefully someone else has, and will help out before your head explodes! :)

In the meantime, feel free to settle in and hold forth on any other SF you might like to discuss, in the appropriate sections.

Sorry to hear of your plight Sopophile, I think I may have the answer you're after. The term is Ua Lava Here's the extract from Chapter 1 of Children Of The Mind .

"Mr. Hikari, my dear, has revealed himself to be a secret disciple of Ua Lava."

Wang-mu was baffled.

"It's a religious movement. Or a joke. It's hard to know which. It's a Samoan term, with the literal meaning 'Now enough,' but which is translated more accurately as, 'enough already!'"

I'll Private Message you a link to the book.

Hope this helps a little... :)