Historical Fantasy - Ancient Rome

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Historical Fiction - Ancient Rome

I've heard that there are a number of writers out there recreating Ancient Rome.

Can anyone bandy any names about, along with any particular comments and/or recommendations? I think this could be a genre I'm going to start reading deeply very soon. :)

I said:
I've heard that there are a number of writers out there recreating Ancient Rome.

Can anyone bandy any names about, along with any particular comments and/or recommendations? I think this could be a genre I'm going to start reading deeply very soon. :)
I can only think of historical fiction that deals with ancient Rome - mostly mysteries.

The two that come to mind immediately are John Maddox Roberts (not completely sure of the last name)
and Lindsay Davis. I haven't read any of the first but I understand they are pretty good and deal with a centurion who ends up working to solve crimes. Davis has a series based on another crime-solver who does side work for the Emporer - lighter than most mysteries and with a little humor, my kind of stuff.
Suzanne Frank has a series of fantasies based on the ancient world but from what I understand is she changes history to suit her story. Based on a modern woman who gets transported to ancient Egypt. I liked this series even though she has been criticised for using historical figures from the Bible and using them to further her story - apparently a lot of the stories deal with portions of events that occur in the Bible. Since I haven't read it it hasn't affected my enjoyment of the stories.

I have to recommend the Camulod Chronicles, by Jack Whyte. It's based on the Aurthurian ledgends, but backed up with historical fact. It acctually takes place long before Aurthur, back before the fall of the Roman Empire. Definitly not a Disney retelling of Aurthurian tales, there's some pretty sexual parts, but I think they were all pretty tastfully done. In short, this series has it all, action, drama, sex, humor, Knights in shinning armor, you can't go wrong.

gEEk

dwndrgn said:
Of course they don't have it...oh well. I'll have to try some other way.

Figures they wouldn't, I haven't seen it at any of the libraries here either. You'll prolly have to buy it, it's kinda of a new series as far as books go.

gEEk

"Lest Darkness Fall" by Sprague de Camp :)

A little bit of historical fiction of ancient Rome in "Kwadratura trójkąta" by Marcin Wolski (unfortunately AFAIK not translated...)

Well Brian, here's a few books I've read that revolve around Ancient Rome that include Fantasy and SF:

Roma Eterna by Robert Silverberg. This novel deals with the scenario of what would have happened if Ancient Rome only declined gradually over history but didn't actually become overrun and was still active into the 20th Century. The stories are detailed from the perspective of 10 fictional emperors at apparent critical moments in this extended version of the Eternal City. A reasonable read but nothing startling....Much prefer his wonderful Majipoor cycle.

Lest Darkness Fall by L Sprague de Camp. A time travel yarn that involves a modern day History professor who is sent back prior to the fall of ancient rome. The professor tries to fit into Roman society and perform the somewhat obvious task of trying to prevent Rome's fall. Despite the basic premise, a very fine and well researched work and arguably de Camp's best effort in a long career.

Household Gods by Harry Tutrledove and Judith Tarr. Story of a modern day lawyer and single mum who dreams of a "better" life. She awakens to Rome in the second century in the body of taverner and has a somewhat interesting time trying to adjust to roman life. Apart from the somewhat irritating main character, a fun sort of read.

I am A Barbarian by Edgar Rice Burroughs. An account of a fictional slave at the hands of Caligula. Perhaps more sword and sandal than pure fantasy it will nevertheless appeal to fans of Robert E Howard. An enjoyable read and highly recommended.

Bran Mak Morn stories by Robert E Howard. Of course I couldn't pass on mentioning my favourite pulp author. Here's a short blurb from a REH website to give you a gist of the setting. I've read them and enjoyed them.

Mightier than Gladiator and Braveheart, Bran Mak Morn is Robert E. Howard’s darkest and noblest hero. Venturing to hell and back, Bran unleashes the infernal powers of the Worms of the Earth and unlocks the gates of time to bring the Roman Legions to bay in ancient Britain. Last king of the dying race of Picts, Bran Mak Morn’s spirit lives on forever to fight for his people’s freedom and survival.

Videoss cycle by Harry Turtledove. A whole series of books have been written by Turtledove about a roman legion that is magically transported to a Byzantium style empire in a parallel universe where magic is employed. It's actually not bad but not really that satisfying, although the author certainly seems to have researched the topic pretty well. Only read 1 or 2 of these. Appear to be quite popular actually.

AD 62 Pompeii by Rebeeca East. A time travel take on a student of history who puposefully travels back to Pompeii for a fact finding mission. Not one I'd recommend but then some people I know have enjoyed it...

Roman Mystery novels - John Maddox Roberts. This guy writes a series of I think mystery stories set in anceint rome but never read any of them. Not really fantasy per se although his book Seven Hills does provide for an alternate take on Roman history.

Hope this helps Brian....:)