Star Trek: The Beginning

Quest

There is talk that Paramount is considering doing a film called "Star Trek: The Beginning". This would be a prequel to the original series and a sequel to "Enterprise", taking place inbetween the two shows.
Word is the movie would not star any individual who appeared in any of the previous Trek series.

I think this sounds like a good idea...for about four or five years down the road. I love Star Trek - been a fan since the original series was new (guess that dates me, huh?:p), although I never was a regular viewer of the last three series (DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise).

I think the franchise is tired but not played out, I suspect. So, I think a break of a few years would be a good thing, but then I'd like to see another series, if for no other reason than to see if there is indeed potential left there. I hope there is, because it is an interesting universe that Roddenberry created.

I agree. This cash-cow has been well and truly milked. It needs a period of time to recover.

I don't understand the predilection to move backwards - Star Trek needs to move forwards, IMO, and definitely involve established characters in a new setting.

They should be trying to embrace fans with something familiar yet new, rather than explore past history which is frankly irrelevant and unreferenced by the very shows that made them popular in the first place.

I can't see any sense in doing "The Beginning" - we don't want a beginning, do we, but a new start on more familiar territory??

Gah! Big subject and right now I dont feel like doing a lot of typing..so I hope this summary makes sense....

This is a subject Ive discussed a lot with fans of the series I know.
The problem we started having with the new series was that because of the technological advances the crews of star fleet basically became gods. They used the transporter to heal and reverse the effects of age, travelled back in time to change things they didnt like, used the holograph room to fix any problems they couldnt fix otherwise etc...
Moving forward in time I cannot imagine being interesting at all. Theyll just use their newly evolved psychic powers to teleport about the galaxy and time to do whatever they want to.
Voyager at least had an edge of helplessness about it. Many Voyager episodes were truly great sci-fi (although some....ummm...not so much). Unless there is some sort of "catch" to a new series to strip the crew of their technology every week, I wouldnt be interested.
and...
if the show is less about the technology and more about the people and human interest stories, what does it matter if they move forward or backward?

they keep going backwards, case they're afraid of offending fans and don't have the imagination to predict the future further than the end of voyager! by going backwards they were relatively assured of a continum (although we won't notice here how badly they messed that up). But TOS and TNG and Voyager have been about moving out, leaving the safe and sure behind. Its gonna take a lot to recover from enterprise (that stank so badly), and i don't think that going back will do that. A fresh and unique take on startrek is needed, with good writing and ORIGINAL ideas. that would win fans back and push the series past the doubters.

Back