where do i find illustrations or artwork for the chronicles of thomas covenant?

schmintan

hi.
Ive recently started reading the chronicles of thomas convnant by Stephen Donaldson, and I find them utterly fantastic. Up their with lord of the rings as far as epic tales are concerned( the stories are quite similar, but the subtle differences make huge differences to the style of the two epics).

What i want to know is , does anyone know where i can find artwork that people have done for the Thomas covenant series?The books are very detailed and descriptive, but as i learned with lord of the rings, pictures help paint an even more vivid image of the land , creatures and charachters. i cant find any on the web, but just wondering if anyone has come across any images in relation to these books?
thanks

Hi there, nice to see another Donaldson fan on the boards.

I've read all of the T. Covenant books previously as well as Book 1 Runes Of The Earth of what will be the final quartet. I mention this latter fact in case you weren't aware of that fact and would therefore wish to know.

Certianly a landmark series in fantasy IMO.

I and certainly other members can probably track down artists who've done Covenant artwork but in the meantime here's Donaldson's web site in case you don't have it.

There'll have been several publications of this series over the years, which means several book cover illustrations and probably more pictures.

http://www.stephenrdonaldson.com/

Last edited:
Darrell K Sweet is a major artist as far as fantasy coverart goes and did illustrations for Donaldson's T Covenant sereis as well as Asimov, Heinlein, and the Robert Jordan WOT covers.

He'll also be attending DragonCon 2005 in Atlant in the US Sep 2-5 very shortly in case you're in the neighbourhood, why I mentioned him.

Here's a link to other impressions of The Land incl. 13 large sized pics but does take a while to download and I'm using ADSL so be warned. There's some nice colour pics to start with and then some more basic B/W works. If any picture doesn't download just right click your mosue and select the option Show Picture to view it. There's also a nice link to a map of the land.

http://theland.antgear.com/index.html

Here's another well known fan forum Kevin's Watch including fan art:

http://www.kevinswatch.com/

Hope this helps.... :)

im afraid i wont be able to make that confrence in atlanta as i live in Ireland. Ive only just finished the 1st book, and im having trouble getting hold of the 2nd one as its currently in reprint and not availiable at the mo, at least in Europe anyway. thanks for the links. il give them a look, but im only on dial up so it could be a while !

Well hopefully you may be able to upgrade form dial up at some stage. Glad to see you've completed the Covenant books now other than the latest one and that you enjoyed them. They're certainly a landmark series in fantasy IMO...:D

You may want to check out Guy Gavriel Kay's Finovar Tapestry trilogy written in the mid 1980s. It has a mix b/w fantasy and real world and quite a good series....

hi there great to see more covenant fans
just wanted to let you know ive got all 6 books of covenant and runes earth on cd
and i would love to see these made into a film much better than lord of the rings
big up VAIN

hi.
Ive recently started reading the chronicles of thomas convnant by Stephen Donaldson, and I find them utterly fantastic. Up their with lord of the rings as far as epic tales are concerned( the stories are quite similar, but the subtle differences make huge differences to the style of the two epics).

What i want to know is , does anyone know where i can find artwork that people have done for the Thomas covenant series?The books are very detailed and descriptive, but as i learned with lord of the rings, pictures help paint an even more vivid image of the land , creatures and charachters. i cant find any on the web, but just wondering if anyone has come across any images in relation to these books?
thanks
8c8d21f8b2210d56a164c02094a495b0.jpg

Back