Frank Herbert and the godmakers

Princess Ivy

Damsel in this dress
I've just finished this one, and have others to read, all seem to have a similar theme, of religious friendly, a new god or messiah and jihad's. can anyone else who has read his works tell me if this is the predominant threme to his work?

Re: Robert Hienlien and the godmakers

You mean Frank Herbert and the God Makers ?

Yes it's predominent theme. In fact, this story is a prequel to Dune.

omg, i'm sorry. exhaustion is telling on me. to mix heinlien and herbert *blush* yes, i meant herbert.

not exactly the same style, but 2 good writers.

Lewis Orne family is part of the organisation which will lead to the Bene Gesserit in Dune.

You mean Frank Herbert and the God Makers ?

Yes it's predominent theme. In fact, this story is a prequel to Dune.

Er, it's not. The Godmakers is a fix-up of three (or is it four?) stories about Lewis Orne. It has no connection with Dune.

I rather liked The Godmakers - I've kept it for a re-read sometime. The only others by Herbert I've kept are Dune - absolutely brilliant - and Dune Messiah. I used to have several other Dune books but none of them passed the "am-I-ever-going-to-read-this-again" test in one of my occasional culls to clear shelf space.

I've now re-read it!

This is my take on The Godmakers (an extract from my SFF blog):

It is the far future and a space-faring humanity is beginning to rediscover planets settled before the devastating Rim War. Their greatest fear is another war, so each time an occupied planet is found, any warlike tendencies lead to a corrective occupation. Particularly prized are the rare individuals with psi powers, which are better understood than now and whose development is largely linked to religion: properly channelled, psi powers can create a god.

Lewis Orne is a newly-trained member of the Rediscovery and Re-education Service, whose job is to assess the cultures of newly-found settled planets to determine their suitability for joining the Galactic Federation. While he is demonstrating remarkable ability in tackling one intractable problem after another, the Abbod of Amel, the planet which is the focus of human religion, is creating a god: exactly what and where, he has no way of telling.

Orne suffers a near-death experience which affects his outlook on life. On recovering, he discovers that he has psi powers, and is sent to Amel, where his process of self-discovery reaches a remarkable conclusion.

Herbert wrote this book after Dune. It is a much shorter work (175 pages in my 1974 NEL paperback) without the same epic sweep. Nevertheless, it reflects the same fascination with the techniques of myth-making and religion. I can recognise certain elements here which must have subconsciously influenced me when writing Scales, particularly the effect on an individual of the development of unusual abilities. However, Herbert focuses more on the process of getting there than on what happens next. It isn't a great book, but it's worth the time to read.