What type of writing style do you enjoy most?

First person narrative takes me a long time to get into, but once I get used to it, it gets better.

Two of the hardest books I’ve ever read.

Slant by Greg Bear. He tried to use some kind of slang language in his future and it was really tough to follow.

Ian M. banks’s Feersum Enjin was tough as well. Half of it was written phonetically and I really struggled to follow what was going on.

First person narrative takes me a long time to get into, but once I get used to it, it gets better.

Slant by Greg Bear. He tried to use some kind of slang language in his future and it was really tough to follow.

Ian M. banks’s Feersum Enjin was tough as well. Half of it was written phonetically and I really struggled to follow what was going on.
For easy reading of Feersum Enjin it helps to have a familiarity with spoken Glaswegian.

It took a page or two to get used to, but after that it became transparent to me. It helps if you read it 'out loud' in your head.

However, I often enjoy reading fiction that requires processing or at least faith that it will make sense later on. Some William Gibson books only make sense after you're several chapters in and you have to mentally go back to what you read in chapter one.

Last edited:
I prefer the concise writing style of someone like George Orwell . A lot depends on how good the book is . I found A Clockwork Orange to be a great book and easy to read , despite the use of the fictional language Nadsat . Russell Hoban's Riddley Walker is said to be a masterpiece, but I have never managed to read it . I will try again soon.

I don't prefer any one style, mood dictates what I read, varied taste from fluff to complex. I go through stages were I want fast paced action normally grim dark or a nice slow build up with virtually no action.
Narrative can be first or third person, I enjoy single pov and also multiple pov.

First person defiantly throws me off a bit after reading third. But not the reverse. I am reading the Divergent series right now which is first and whatever I decide to read next which will probably be third will be easier to transition then this latest series. Plus reading in first person throws me off a bit in my writing as I am writing in third.

Back