Books you thought that you'd never like!

I was the same with Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. On my first reading I really struggled with it, yet it had enough for me to want to read it again a few years later. Brilliant and well deserving of a classic status.

ve read that book. I know its s a great book , but I hated every single character in that book, Especially that profiteering little creep Milo Minderbender.

Last edited:
I was quite surprised at how much I loved Moby-Dick; or, The Whale myself. Also The Great Gatsby; what did I know about the Roaring Twenties? Even more so, how could I imagine that The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman would so bizarre and funny and post-modern, when I thought it would be a dreary old tome from centuries ago?

I wasn't surprised that I enjoyed Catch-22, although it was a bit more surreal than I expected.

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy I picked it up on a whim and thought Id give it a try , I figured I might get 100 pages and thats's it. This was another book that once I stated , I could not put down. Im glad I took a chance and read it. :cool:

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I never thought I would like it but was I ever wrong. I love this and the rest of Austen's stories so well that I could never bring myself to read any of those mash-up books.

Moby Dick by Herman Melville. It took me two attempts to get into it. Im glad I gave it a second chance. This is a book that is well worth reading ! :cool:

Pretty close to my experience, too. I read it once and it was okay; on second reading a few years later, I was completely won over.

I'm slightly allergic to Henry James' prose, at least in his later works, so I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Washington Square.

Randy M.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I never thought I would like it but was I ever wrong. I love this and the rest of Austen's stories so well that I could never bring myself to read any of those mash-up books.

I rather liked Pride and Prejudice with Zombis book and movie. Both were silly fun. :D

I read White Fang as a kid. I found the first few chapters to be really boring. When it started to focus on the titular wolf-dog, I was hooked. It's now one of my favorite novels. I still don't read much realistic fiction, though.

The Sea Wolf by Jack London I picked it up with no expectations of liking it . It was a thrilling read. :cool:

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. I has heard so much about it, i thought I would give it a go. I have to admit, it was funny, but I found the chapters a bit disjointed and it was hard to read. A few years later I thought I'd give it another go. This time round, I found it hilarious and well deserving of its status as a classic.

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. I has heard so much about it, i thought I would give it a go. I have to admit, it was funny, but I found the chapters a bit disjointed and it was hard to read. A few years later I thought I'd give it another go. This time round, I found it hilarious and well deserving of its status as a classic.
Have you tried the sequel?
I remember reading it when it came out but, to be honest, I can't remember anything about it.

The Sea Wolf by Jack London I picked it up with no expectations of liking it . It was a thrilling read. :cool:
The same with J. London. Never thought it would be interesting, still this one is amazing!