"Lost" with Spoilers

Thanks Star!!!!

First question I have for everyone...

What do you think is up with the numbers? Do you think they're bad or good luck?

before you explain - what numbers?
I shoul just give up being a virgin Lost follower, I mean, why should I treat this shw any differently :p

Alia said:
What do you think is up with the numbers? Do you think they're bad or good luck?

I really don't have any idea about the numbers. One thing you might not realise is that they are EVERYWHERE. Whenever a number is mentioned in the show... seat numbers, street numbers, flight numbers absolutely anything. It's almost one of these numbers.

In the episode where Hurley is making a mad rush to get on the plane he goes past the numbers in all sorts of places over and over again. You need to freeze frame to see a lot of them.

I have absolutely no guesses about them though. Most other stuff I can at least come up with a theory, but on this I'm completely stumped.

There's a list of appearances on another forum. I'll see if I can find it. Actually they have a few good things there. I'll cut and paste.

Last edited:
THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE ENTIRITY OF SEASON 1

The Cursed Numbers (4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42)

• The latitude 4.815 and longitude 162.342 are located in the Pacific ocean northeast of Australia.
  • Boone found a map of Africa on the smuggler’s plane. Latitude: 16° 23 Min.42 Sec, Longitude: 4° 8 Min. 15 Sec. will put you in Niger, pretty close to where the map showed.
  • Hurley passed a girls sports team on the scooter in the airport that had all the numbers in order.
  • The number of years ago that Locke was paralysed.
  • The number of years ago that Sam Toomie committed suicide.
  • Leonard was playing Connect Four.
  • The number of years since Sawyer made his birthday wish.
  • The number of Aces (value 1) that were on Boone’s t-shirt. Also, Boone had another t-shirt with Asian letters that say 84.
  • The number of refills Shannon had for her inhaler in Boone's luggage.
  • Number of Oceanic planes on the mobile in Claire’s dream.
  • Number of months Michelangelo stared at marble “working” in Locke’s story. Boone then asked if they were going to stare at the hatch for 4 months.
  • Number of spots on Michael’s raft.
  • A speed that Hurley’s rental car displayed as it died.
  • Number of guns in the Marshall's case.
  • Number of refills Shannon had for her inhaler.
  • Number of months between Claire's two visits to the psychic.
  • Number of years Michael worked in construction.
  • Walt was born in August, the 8th month. He was born on the 24th of August. 24 is 8 + 16.
  • Number of years since Michael was hit by the car.
  • The number of years Michael didn’t see Walt.
  • The number of people who died in a fire in Hurley’s shoe factory in Canada.
  • The number of months Claire was pregnant when the plane crashed.
  • Boone had a t-shirt with 84 on it in Asian letters.
  • Number of months Locke was talking to Helen before the crash.
  • Number of days Charlie went without his guitar before Locke returned it to him.
  • Number of weeks Driveshaft was going to go on tour.
  • Shannon’s age when her father married Boone’s mother.
  • James Ford's (Sawyer) age when his family was destoryed by the original Frank Sawyer.
  • The aisle for regulation footballs in Locke’s store.
  • The person Hurley bought the scooter from had a Crazy Eight’s hat.
  • 8 O’Clock was the position on the radar where the Others boat showed up.
  • Number of the TV station that interviewed Hurley after his lottery win.
  • Number of days Claire was missing after her abduction.
  • Distance from the Enviornment Secretary's house that Jin was to ditch the car.
  • The number of members of Rousseau’s research team.
  • The aisle for Nerf footballs in Locke’s store.
  • Sun was supposed to slip away from Jin at 11:15 A.M. Also, all the didgets add up to 8.
  • 14:15 was the scheduled departure time for Oceanic 815.
  • Sawyer was supossed to meet with an investor for one of his cons at 15:30.
  • Michael’s estimate of how far out to sea they were when the detected the radar blip.
  • In backgammon, each side starts with 15 pieces.
  • Number of years Rousseau has been on the island (after hearing the numbers transmission that brought her science team there).
  • $160,000 was the amount of money Sawyer was planning to con from a family.
  • Number of circles around the outside of the Oceanic Logo.
  • Number of hours the flight to L.A. was going to take.
  • Number of hours after the crash when the pilot was found.
  • Number of weeks the lottery hadn’t been won before Hurley won it.
  • Number of years since Boone’s nanny Teresa fell down the stairs and broke her neck.
  • Number of years ago that Kate buried the time capsule
  • Number in hundreds that Hurley paid an old man for his scooter.
  • The sum of both parts of the plane’s flight number.
  • Number of the floor Hurley stayed on at a Sydney hotel.
  • Number of the gate the plane took off from.
  • Jack’s seat number on the plane was 23A.
  • Rose and Bernard were sitting next to Jack in row 23, too.
  • The reward for turning in Kate was $23,000
  • The morning of their departure from Sydney, Walt woke Michael up at 5:23

A.M.
  • The temperature in Hurley’s rental car when it died.
  • Leonard was playing Connect 4. 42 is the number of spaces on a connect four game board.
  • Rousseau wrote down the number sequence seven times, creating a matrix that totals 42.
  • Ana-Lucia was sitting in seat 42F.
  • Room number of Hurley’s room at the Sydney hotel.
  • The distance Hurley’s rental car had travelled when it died.
  • 10:42 was the scheduled arrival time of flight 815 in L.A.
  • The flight number of the plane.
  • The number of the safety deposit box Kate robbed.
  • Charlie was trying to sell Copier model 815-C.
  • The date of Kate’s time capsule is August 15, 1989, 8-15.
  • The number on the building Sayid walked into in Sydney.

Last edited:
I must say I learned a lot there. I have not heard any of those things yet, with the exception of one you didn't list. I can't remember how they came up with it, but there is also a numbers link to the amount of survivors from flight 815.

My next topic of questioning is "Where in the world does that Hatch lead and who put it there?"

Also where did the power cable come from that Syeed found. Seems a bit far fetched for it to be on an island that transmits a signal for 16 years with no response.

Last of all, what in the world was dragging Locke and where was it taking him.

My general theory about the island is that it's some kind of mystical place since the dawn of time (explaining general weirdness and older stuff like the pirate ship and dead bodies in the cave) but on top of that it's also been part of some kind of top secret WWII experiments, think Philadelphia Experiment (explaining cable, some WWII reference, Hatch etc).

So the stuff that's been happening is a combination of both supernatural and scientific.

Youre gonna drive yourself nuts with the numbers stuff. Pretty much everytime they need a number for anything they use a combination of those. :) :)

Good, evil or force of nature I cant say for sure yet! Seems to bring a lot of misfortune though no?

***supposedly*** there is a rational, scientific explanation behind everything that has happened so far. The writers/producers (if we can trust them) have stated in interviews that nothing we have seen is a dream, supernatural, related to time travel etc..
Now, given JJ Abrams grasp of science, a "scientific explanation" may push the bounderies of what is actually possible, but I think he's assuring us there arent any "ghosts" or aliens.

Trey Greyjoy said:
Youre gonna drive yourself nuts with the numbers stuff. Pretty much everytime they need a number for anything they use a combination of those. :) :)

Good, evil or force of nature I cant say for sure yet! Seems to bring a lot of misfortune though no?

***supposedly*** there is a rational, scientific explanation behind everything that has happened so far. The writers/producers (if we can trust them) have stated in interviews that nothing we have seen is a dream, supernatural, related to time travel etc..
Now, given JJ Abrams grasp of science, a "scientific explanation" may push the bounderies of what is actually possible, but I think he's assuring us there arent any "ghosts" or aliens.

They've also said that there are no dinosaurs and that the island security system isn't nano-machines.

However, keep in mind that they did say Artz (the guy who got blown up in the last episode) was going to be a major new character in series two. So they are not to be completely trusted ;)

Stargazer1976 said:
I must say I learned a lot there. I have not heard any of those things yet, with the exception of one you didn't list. I can't remember how they came up with it, but there is also a numbers link to the amount of survivors from flight 815.

My next topic of questioning is "Where in the world does that Hatch lead and who put it there?"

Also where did the power cable come from that Syeed found. Seems a bit far fetched for it to be on an island that transmits a signal for 16 years with no response.

Last of all, what in the world was dragging Locke and where was it taking him.
Nice list Ash! Well done!!!

The hatch was my next question... when I saw the episode were the light turns on, I about freaked out... my first thought was twilight zone... *play spooky music here*
I forgot about that cable... I always thought that was associated with French woman...
Okay there's another question... The French Woman... is anyone else think she's lost it, mentally?

Alia said:
Nice list Ash! Well done!!!

It's a cut and paste. So credit to the unamed list maker on another forum.

My hatch guess.... It was some kind of observation post, watching what they were doing. When they found out that they'd been sprung they left. So when they go down they'll find nothing.... except perhaps a small clue that they were being watched by someone.

And yes, the French lady (who is Delenn from Babylon 5 for those wondering where they've seen her before!) is completely loopy.

Ok, just one spoiler needed : no more male lead killed this season ? (Including the 3 on the raft ?)

Leto said:
Ok, just one spoiler needed : no more male lead killed this season ? (Including the 3 on the raft ?)
I missed the raft episode... my husband told me about it... :(

There's another mystery... that kid with dog. What is up with him???

EDIT: Hey Leto glad your back! Miss ya.

Ash... regardless it's still a nice cut and paste job. :D

if Stargazer explanation about the bear is the good one - and I'm not sure it is as it would contradict my island as a ship theory - Walt would be a kind of reality-changer to meet his wishes : making a polar bear appear in the island although neither him nor his father saw it and were aware of it (they were the two who saw the comic pages), burning the raft and why not leading to his father non-lethal poisoning.

EDIT : was in a little thing called holiday. without computers or phones.

Makes sense to me... is Walt connected to the numbers some how?

EDIT: Well... a holiday with no phones or comps... hope it was good! I still missed you and am glad your back to your comp. :D

It was excellent, even if the sea was a bit too cold.
Walt and the numbers ? Well, his birthday is in August (8).

Hhhmmm.... the connection I'm thinking about is a deeper one then that... Like what affect will the numbers have on Walt... and vice-a-versa.

Cold weather? I envy sometimes Leto. Glad to hear it was excellent.

So far it's the only connection I can think of but a pretty strong one. IIRC, walt is born on August 23td, 1994 (as he's ten). Which can be read as 23-8-1994.
Tha weather was hot and windy, but the sea water was cold. 20 degrees colder than the outside.

Everyone has a connection to the numbers like that though... but none of them are as unique as Walt...

And then there's Clare's baby... who are those other people and what do they want with the baby?

Weather hot? Sea Cold? Where were you? What did ya do? A cruise?

South of France, near the Mediterranean sea. In my family, a few miles from the sea.

I think simply the others need one way or another to increase their numbers, that's why they attempt to take babies (Alex, then Aaron) and in last resort kids as Walt. Because babies and kids are easier to endoctrinate.

Back