Night Watch (2005)

jenna

smiling politely
freaking hell. i saw a trailer for this film when i went to see Land of the Dead, and it totally blew me away. it's like a Russian techno-fantasy, which i think was released quite some time ago but we're only just getting here... actually, we don't get it for almost two months! but i'll be holding my breath until then, i can't wait...

Re: Night Watch

It does look intriguing. It's slated for release on DVD 4th quarter 2005. I think I'll be looking out for this one:)

Re: Night Watch

Saw the trailer this friday. It's coming to Norwegian theatres in November. I'll see it, no mistake!

Nightwatch

Just seen the first 15 minutes of nightwatch on sci-fi channel. A Russian fantasy masterpiece and oscar nominated it looked so good and I cant wait till October 8th for it to be released

Re: Nightwatch

sanityassassin said:
Just seen the first 15 minutes of nightwatch on sci-fi channel. A Russian fantasy masterpiece and oscar nominated it looked so good and I cant wait till October 8th for it to be released

I saw the entire movie but with subtitles. Its done really well. :cool:

Nominated in the foreign language section or for those brillant special effects.

Watch for those morphing. It is better than any hollywood movie. So realistic.

Arkangel said:
I saw the entire movie but with subtitles. Its done really well. :cool:

Nominated in the foreign language section or for those brillant special effects.

Watch for those morphing. It is better than any hollywood movie. So realistic.

seen the tiger it was brilliant the way she morphed :D

Out in theatre here since today, plan to go and watch it Saturday or Friday.

Just saw the movie. Quite complex, very high speed and with an interesting ending/cliffhanger.
But I think the sroty was rushed to keep into a film format, does anyone knows if the original books have been translated in English (or French), I don't feel like learning Russian just to read them.

Have also just seen the movie. Really quite confusing at times, great special effects in places and often quite genuinely horrifying, wonderful use of music throughout. The film is generally fast moving, but it does drag at a few points. I thought it had good acting too from all of the main players even although the story seemed a wee bit silly at times. Wish I knew Russian as the subtitles were a wee bit of a distraction from the visual feast. Didn't like the jumping lorry scene.
Neat idea to have a uneasy truce/co-operation between the forces of Light and Dark rather than all out war all the time.

I agree that I'd like to read an English version of a book of this intriguing movie (ie I'd like to actually understand all that was happening)

I've seen this now. I thought it was rather good, lots of original stuff. I'm certain it makes a lot more sense if you know Russian culture and folklore, but that is precisely what makes it so good: You want to learn more about it.

I'd say this film satisfied a need in me that not many books or films do: A really complex, hardly comprehensible story, with lots and lots of little quirks; all sorts of insider references and bizarre phenomena.

The witch woman scene in the beginning was really great. You see part of it in the trailer; he's thrown into the wall, and the color goes all wan. I think just that little detail was brilliant.

Didn't like all of it, though. Nestlé was sort of overexposed at times. And i agree that the jumping lorry scene was sort of stupid. It could have been good if the movie had treated itself slightly less solemnly.