The x files

hi there, im new to the forum so sorry if this has been discussed. my fave show ever was the x files (2nd fave show is knightmare hense username) are there any other x-philies on this site? i thought the early seasons were just stunning, i felt the show was running out of steam in season 6, season 7 wasnt too brilliant, 8 had some good episodes, but im afraid 9 i thought was disgustingly bad :mad: . does anyone know if there is gonna be an 2nd x-files movie? or if there is what it is gonna be about? i hope its mulder-scully, i mean dogget was good but reyes.... uuuggghh, such a painfully bad character - i mean ok mulder came up with some far fetched ideas but at least he had some sort of theory behind it, reyes... made stupid assumptions with no basis or evidence what so ever, and i really couldnt care less about her 'relationship' with dogget. she sucked lol.

anyone have any thoughts? at all? lol.:D

the_dungeoneer said:
...hope its mulder-scully, i mean dogget was good...
I liked Mulder, Scully and Doggett also. But X-Files ran its course—all good things must come to an end. I think it jumped the shark when Scully was pregnant with an alien fetus. The final season was painful to watch.

I never watched it religiously, and I thought the first movie didn't really have a point to it. But there where some really good parts in the first few series.

I watched compulsively from when I first discovered it about a quarter of the way through the first season up until mulder was mostly gone, and then I was out of there, too. In my opinion, those first seasons will be regarded in forty years the way the original Twilight Zone is regarded now...as a classic.

There were episodes sometimes that I really didn't like - the one about the inbred family. I almost wrote Chris Carter a nasty letter about that one, it was so gross. But there were others that were just wonderful...touching or funny or just really well-written. Some of my favorites:

• The "reincarnation" episode, where we seem to find out that Scully was Mulder's father in a former life. That just seemed to make sense.
  • The cockroach episode.
  • The Postmodern Prometheus
  • Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose
  • The lake monster episode, where Mulder and Scully think they're trapped on a rock in the middle of the lake, and then they find out that they could have waded to shore, and where the creature swims by just after Mulder has turned his back to the lake
  • The episode that goes into the background of Cancer Man, and we discover that he's a frustrated writer. I liked this one, too, because the town where I grew up was mentioned
  • The La Chupacabras episode - where Fresno got its very own episode; although it wasn't filmed here, they mentioned some real places - and I live right across the street from one of them
  • The first Max Fennig episode
Oh, and I always really liked The Lone Gunmen...but it really ticked me off when they killed them near the end of the series. That just wasn't right.

Anyway, yeah, I'm a fan.:D

i didn't watch the final series, it was just to ridiculous. the early ones however, were really good. especially the man who could get through cracks and ate people's livers. really creepy!

My fave episode has to be the one where there's a serial killer going out and murdering pretend-psychics (can't remember if the killer was psychic too or not). Mulder and Scully had to get the help of another psychic to catch him. Quite a touching end to that one.

And the cockroach one was cool, too :) "Her name is Bambi?"

:D yay! loads of people watched the x-files and responded to me lol! yeah season 1 - genius - Squeeze and Tooms - brilliant but also darkness falls, pilot, ice were amazing (well they mostly all were). lets see... faves are

season 1 - squeeze
season 2 - (so difficult) Our Town
season 3 - Pusher
season 4 - tempus fugit
season 5 - post modern prometheus
season 6 - Drive
season 7 - millenium
season 8 - (cant remember name) one with underground disease
season 9 - none!

the_dungeoneer said:
season 1 - squeeze
season 2 - (so difficult) Our Town
season 3 - Pusher
season 4 - tempus fugit
season 5 - post modern prometheus
season 6 - Drive
season 7 - millenium
season 8 - (cant remember name) one with underground disease
season 9 - none!
...sounds like you have the lot on DVD.

I'm in the process of buying the DVD's. I loved this series :D

rune said:
I'm in the process of buying the DVD's. I loved this series :D
i had a book detailing some of the research material used in the first series. unfortunatly HAD is the operative word. it was appropriated by my ex. sigh.

Green said:
My fave episode has to be the one where there's a serial killer going out and murdering pretend-psychics (can't remember if the killer was psychic too or not). Mulder and Scully had to get the help of another psychic to catch him. Quite a touching end to that one.

That one is titled "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose".

Postmodern Prometheus was a great episode. :cool:

There were episodes sometimes that I really didn't like - the one about the inbred family. I almost wrote Chris Carter a nasty letter about that one, it was so gross.
I was amazed that this episode was aired on network televison. Grippingly disgusting.

I agree there are some episodes not as good as others. But it's probably still one of the best Sci-Fi drama series that's been on TV in recent years :D

the_dungeoneer said:
hi there, im new to the forum so sorry if this has been discussed. my fave show ever was the x files (2nd fave show is knightmare hense username) are there any other x-philies on this site? i thought the early seasons were just stunning, i felt the show was running out of steam in season 6, season 7 wasnt too brilliant, 8 had some good episodes, but im afraid 9 i thought was disgustingly bad :mad: . does anyone know if there is gonna be an 2nd x-files movie? or if there is what it is gonna be about? i hope its mulder-scully, i mean dogget was good but reyes.... uuuggghh, such a painfully bad character - i mean ok mulder came up with some far fetched ideas but at least he had some sort of theory behind it, reyes... made stupid assumptions with no basis or evidence what so ever, and i really couldnt care less about her 'relationship' with dogget. she sucked lol.

anyone have any thoughts? at all? lol.:D

I really like the series, although, for some reason, I never watched a full season as it happened during the show's entire nine year run. It was only after the show was firmly in late-late night syndication did I start to get hooked enough to (attempt) to follow the complex storyline that entangled Mulder for his last two or three seasons.

I actually didn't mind the Doggett storylines after Duchovny left once I came to terms with the notion that the show would never have its original chemistry. I thought Robert Patrick did an outstanding job in this role: really giving his best shot at making a replacement character worthwhile in face of an embittered fan following. Monica Reyes (Annabeth Gish) annoyed me, however. I can't really place it, but her character never felt like it ever firmly worked itself out.

As for the X-Files sequel question, I recently read a brief interview with Chris Carter who claimed that he was thinking about doing another. Exactly how committed is the "thinking"? I don't know, but he did say that it wouldn't have anything to do with aliens this time around because he feels it has already been played out, which I can't say I disagree. If interested in the source, I will continue to sift through this year's Anime Insider issues and give you an exact issue and page number.

One of my personal favorite X-Files episodes of all time was a more humorous one displaying Fox's and Scully's chemistry without getting heavy-handed in the romance department. The episode is called "Bad Blood" (#109, season 5 (thank you, Google)). Fox and Scully, after a mistaken vampire sighting, need to retell their version of accounts separately when faced with a family's lawsuit. The way they both paint each other as childish and themselves as holy is hilarious. The part that made me laugh out loud the hardest is when each recited their accounts with a local sheriff. Scully, finding him attractive, painted scenes glorifying his supposed heroic demeanor, while Fox, acutely jealous, portrayed him as nothing more than a buck-toothed hick.

[Amendment: It was bugging me that I couldn't locate the source of the Q&A with Chris Carter. After flipping through far too many Anime Insider pages, it finally dawned on me that I was looking within the wrong magazine all together. You can find the brief interview I sited earlier in Rolling Stone issue #975 (June 2, 2005) and on page 80.]

Last edited:
cyborg_cinema said:
...sounds like you have the lot on DVD.

hmmm, yes 1-7, it is my fave show of all time but they changed the dvd boxsets to the smaller ones so i resent paying full price for boxsets 8 and 9 episodes i dont really rate just so my dvd collection looks complete. its so annoying.:mad:

the_dungeoneer said:
hmmm, yes 1-7, it is my fave show of all time but they changed the dvd boxsets to the smaller ones so i resent paying full price for boxsets 8 and 9 episodes i dont really rate just so my dvd collection looks complete. its so annoying.:mad:
...yea, seasons 8 & 9 are not worth full price—better off forgotton.

McMurphy said:
One of my personal favorite X-Files episodes of all time was a more humorous one displaying Fox's and Scully's chemistry without getting heavy-handed in the romance department. The episode is called "Bad Blood" (#109, season 5 (thank you, Google)). Fox and Scully, after a mistaken vampire sighting, need to retell their version of accounts separately when faced with a family's lawsuit. The way they both paint each other as childish and themselves as holy is hilarious. The part that made me laugh out loud the hardest is when each recited their accounts with a local sheriff. Scully, finding him attractive, painted scenes glorifying his supposed heroic demeanor, while Fox, acutely jealous, portrayed him as nothing more than a buck-toothed hick.

That was a good episode, McMurphy. But that's one of the things I always liked about X-Files - they could do really serious episodes, and then turn around and do fun, and sometimes flat-out funny, episodes and pull those off, as well.

The X-Files was one of, if not the best TV programmes of the Nineties, whatever the genre. Well acted, well written and well directed. The chemistry between Mulder and Scully was wonderful to watch, even if Duchovney and Anderson weren't the best of buddies. I loved the whole conspiracy thing, though I did much prefer the stand-alone episodes, one of my favourite being the affore mentioned "Clyde Bruckmans Final Repose".

Another film may be in the offing. David Duchovney has said that Mulder should wear a dress in it....:eek:

yeah, i generally felt like that, sometimes there could be a two-parter that would blow me away but generally the earlier one episode stories were much better, i liked a new and weird story every week. but it was also good when they refered back to an earlier episode or made a comment about something that happened previously. mulder and scully were my faves, as with most fans but i loved the lone gunmen, they absolutely cracked me up... but... i thought it was a terrible episode when they killed them off - not only for that reason but that it was a terrible plot and a waste of good characters, they were trying to round everything off and they just shouldnt have bothered.

did anyone watch the lone gunmen stand alone? - i though it was pretty dire like.