The Gods: Requiem, Take 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelineEyes

Who Walks Through Walls
I like cats, knives, cuddling, and expolsives. No
This is the second installment of a series of short stories that I'm trying to write. This is try number four, but I don't like it. It reads wrong, but I can't tell what's wrong. Can you?
Please?

“What are you after?” the old man sitting in the rocking chair asked the young man sitting on the porch step.

“A ship,” the young man replied, “A fast ship.”

The old man tapped his pipe on this arm of his chair and turned the phonograph up.

Good men shouldn’t have to die

And leave their families behind.

The older man leaned forward to get a better look his latest guest. The young man stared out into the jungle with his strange, lifeless, purple-blue eyes. He was dressed in a white pants and a light pink shirt, open at the collar. A white jacket was laid neatly on the porch next to him. His pale, blonde hair was cut in a short bowl cut and his snow white skin made for an odd contrast with the lush coloring of the tropics around him.

Good hearts shouldn’t be smashed

Scattering fragments akin to glass

The older man leaned back again. “That’s not what you’re after,” he said shortly.

The younger man picked a bit of nearly invisible lint off his collar. “No,” he replied quietly, “but that’s what I’m after from you.”

Good children shouldn’t pray at night

For less of their lives to be ground into dust

“Hm,” the older man said. “I can’t give this ship away for free, you know. I’ve got to have something in return.” The pipe tapped against the rocking chair. “Otherwise it’s bad for business, you understand.”

And good women shouldn’t have to sing

Be good to your daughters

Be good to your sons

Be good to your lover

Because come the sun

“I have two thousand credits with me,” the young man replied, “I will give you that now.”

The daughters are women

The sons they are men

And the lover you once held so close

Is gone with the sound of the gun

“And, when I have finished my work, I will give you a fully functional AJ-19 named the Requiem.”

The old man reached out and stopped the phonograph. He’d learned long ago not to ask ‘how’. He really didn’t need to know—it wasn’t his business. The less you knew, the less could be traced to you and the less was a fault of yours.

He’d also learned that men didn’t always pay up. He’d killed a few because of it. But an AJ-19…well, that was…something else.

The hand went up, “I see you’ve heard of my fondness for” he gestured to the phonograph, “…collectable items.”

Good men shouldn’t have to lie,

To cover the last of the tears

“Yes,” came the simple reply. “Many have.”

Good children shouldn’t have to go bad

To dream of the stars and the sky

“I presume that you have also heard of my…impatience with men who don’t deliver as promised,” the old man said.

“Yes,” The young man replied. “Who hasn’t?”

“She will not have a crew when you bring her to me, will she?”

“She will not,” the younger man said causally, “I have no need of her crew.”

And good women should never have to cry

The older man thought for a moment. “Might I send some men with you,” he asked, “to aid you in getting this ship to me?”

Be good to your daughters

Be good to your sons

Be good to your lover

Now it was the young man’s turn to think. “Yes,” he said at last. “I do not see where it will hinder me. But, if you wish for them to kill me before I have completed by mission, I would advise against it. I am not one to be challenged lightly.”

Because come the sun

The old man looked over the younger man again. There was a kind of innocence about him that seemed only surface deep. It…felt only surface deep. It was as if this young man had died as a child, and his body had simply not stopped living. Men like that were dangerous. “Yes,” the older man said calmly, “I see that. I will give you a fast ship for your credits and this AJ-19.”

The daughters are women

There was a short silence. “But,” the older man said, “I want to know something first.”

The sons are the men

“Very well,” the young man said, “what do you wish to know?”

And the lover you once held so close

“What are you after?” he asked once again.

Is no more…

“A man. His name is…” There was a moment of hesitation.

Gone with the sound of the gun

“Alon Soberno.”

You know, usually I can find something I dislike, something cliche or overdone or underdone, but this time, Im just going to give you a big fat WOW. Mabye it is because I felt like I could hear the music in the background, something written to a "Dust in the wind" tune, slow and folkish. If I read it again and find something I dislike, I will let you know. :D

Very imaginitive and well played.

The tempo does kind of fall off toward the end, though.

The thing that jumps out at me first is - who on (earth?) is Alon Soberno? I really want to know what happens next, and the backstory. Kudos on piquing my interest.

The other thing that REALLY jumps out at me is the song itself... I'm the kind of guy that would make a technical director, I think, for movies: if there is a weapon in a shot that doesn't fit the time period, if there is some continuity problem, or something like that, I tend to notice it and it reflects negatively on my overall impression of the movie I'm watching. All that said, doesn't the old man turn off the phonograph about half-way down...? If he does, is the song playing in the Old Man's head? Or the reader's? That kinda surprised me.

I enjoyed the descriptiveness of what each character was doing. Keep that type of writing up - just write what they would do! Reactions are key. Well done.

Just my humble opinion, anyways...

FelineEyes said:
“What are you after?” the old man sitting in the rocking chair asked the young man sitting on the porch step.
opinion: replace dialog attribution with preceding paragraphs describing setting and characterization to give the opening dialog more flavor.

Last edited:
I'll try that cyborg.
Thanks for your comments. Just for the record--Alon Soberno is the main character of the series. He made his first appearance in the story preceding this opening, so if you were reading the stories as a series you'd already know a great deal about him. Just for the record, he's an asassin who, at this point, is sort-of-maybe-kind-of giving up that career path, but mentally he's really screwed up. It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's sort of Alon in a nutshell.

Speaking as one who knows this story. I like it. Maybe it would help to describe the setting a bit first as cyborg said, but I'm really itching to know who has it in for Alon. Alon rocks.

FelineEyes said:
He made his first appearance in the story preceding this opening, so if you were reading the stories as a series you'd already know a great deal about him.
Oh sorry. I thought that was the beginning.

FelineEyes said:
I'll try that cyborg.
Just for the record, he's an asassin who, at this point, is sort-of-maybe-kind-of giving up that career path, but mentally he's really screwed up. It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's sort of Alon in a nutshell.

Sounds kinda like the Bourne trilogy, of which the second I have a few chapters left in... not accusing you of anything or saying it's a bad plot, just observing.

FelineEyes said:
...sort-of-maybe-kind-of giving up that career path
opinion: I don't like to use sort-of-maybe-kind-ofs, for the simple reason that they don't seem to have as much punch. Sometimes people use half-(something), like half-monster. "He might have...". "Maybe she will..." They just don't seem to have a kick. "She will kick ___" sounds better.

But he has sort-of-maybe-kind-of given that up. He's not doing it now, but it'd probably be very easy for him to start again.

Anjana said:
But he has sort-of-maybe-kind-of given that up. He's not doing it now, but it'd probably be very easy for him to start again.
I like the story.

And I didn't do good at demonstrating passive and active voice. Below are examples of what I mean.

Active Voice:
Photon missles pulverized the space frigate.

Passive Voice:
The space frigate was pulverized by photon missles.

More Passive Voice:
The space frigate may have been pulverized by photon missles.

Active voice is more direct, and has more impact.

I found some good writing guidelines from Amy Casil. Hardcore Critique Guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.