Helva

Princess Ivy

Damsel in this dress
managed to find my own copy of the ship who sang, yesterday, and rearead it last night. one thing struck me as very obvious, although probably not a new thought, the novel seems to have very little cohesion, rather more a collection of short stories with a common theme, and i've got most of the short stories in other works.
although i did enjoy very much.

The lack of cohesion is one of the reasons I don't enjoy that story as much. I don't feel like we really get to know Helva all that well, with all the jumps in the story. My favorite in the series is The Ship Who Searched.

I do think the concept of the series is great, and could easily be developed into a tv series -- just the concept, not necessarily the books directly. Each week a different ship/shellperson could be featured. Or the same one could be followed each week, but a new character not seen in the books. There's just enough details in the book series to run with, but all new plots can be written that are fitting for episodic tv.

sounds like a great idea. the only problem would be in distinguishing the brainships, physically. the shells are titanium standard after all. it could cause problems with viewrs identifying different ships.

The outside of the ship should have their BB number (eg AH-1033) blazoned on it. Inside, the main cabin (and other rooms) will have quite different decor according to their personality and mission assignments.

I do suspect they'd end up deciding to put a monitor on the outside of the shell with an interactive image of the shell person (representative image of course!). Rather like the "computer" in the Red Dwarf series, if you're familiar with that. While that would not be true to the series, I think they'll decide it's necessary for the audience to relate.

but then certain aspects, such as braun fixations and not knowing what they look like would not be explainted. one of the reasons that helva codifies on nial is that he confirms that he has made the image of her and thinks she is beautiful. i'm playing devils advoate here, btw, i'd also like to see it brought to life, although practically speaking, you're probably looking at a more 'andromeda ' like scenario, with even the possibilities of creating avatars, one of the ships did, can't remember which it was.

I think they could still explain brawn fixation, and I think an audience would understand it much easier in terms of the brawn falling in love with a created, false image of the shell person -- forgetting that's not all what the shell person actually looks like.

By avatars, do you mean the motorized body that Tia had created once she bought out the moto-whatever company?

It's not that I wouldn't wish them to stick more true to the books, just that I recognize there are limitations and necessities in order to actually win an audience. And I don't think these changes would ruin the basic story -- unlike the rumored "ruby ring of time" given to Lessa by her mother on her deathbed (allowing her to travel back to fetch the other Weyrs), which was a planned Hollywierd change to Dragonflight many years ago when a movie deal was in the works.

bah, i don't get why they have to mess so much with the original storylines, why on earth must there be outside magic, the dragons natural ability combined with metasynth would be enough for most people! besides which, they'd probably get someone like sarah michelle geller to play lessa or other such rubish!
although i'd love to see it on screen, unless its made by someone who had an intrinsic love of the work, it'd fail horribly!

I think that The Ship Who Searched would be the best movie, even if it's not the first book in the series. It'd be easier to relate to Tia, since we see her as a child, without resorting to false image avatars on screens.

Back