Doctor Who - returns!

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
BBC Wales is producing a new series!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3140786.stm
Doctor Who returns to TV

Doctor Who, the cult science fiction series, is returning to TV screens.

The much-awaited comeback will be produced for BBC One by BBC Wales and written by the acclaimed Welsh dramatist Russell T Davies - a self-confessed fan.

Davies' credits include hit dramas like Bob and Rose, Queer as Folk, The Second Coming, Touching Evil, and The Grand.

For Davies - who was brought up in Swansea, but now lives in Manchester - writing for Doctor Who is a dream come true.

"I grew up watching Doctor Who, hiding behind the sofa like so many others," he admitted.

"Doctor Who is one of the BBC's most exciting and original characters. He's had a good rest and now it's time to bring him back!"

BBC Wales' Head of Drama Julie Gardner will act as executive producer alongside Davies and Mal Young, Controller of BBC Continuing Series. "Russell is one of Wales's leading TV writers. It will be a thrill for BBC Wales to work with him on such a landmark TV series," Ms Gardner said.

"This is very early days and it is unlikely anything will be on screen for at least two years but it is very exciting and I can't wait to get started."

The first Doctor Who - played by William Hartnell - was first seen on 23 November, 1963. He was followed by seven more, before the series being axed in 1989.

Although Sylvester McCoy was the last actor to play the Doctor in the TV series, Paul McGann recreated the role in a TV movie version in 1996.

Despite disappearing from TV screens, the series still has a loyal fan base and videos and DVDs of the episodes, along with a whole range of associated merchandise, continue to sell well.

The Doctor Who Experience - an exhibition which features costumes and memorabilia from the series - opened in Llangollen in 1994 and attracts 50,000 visitors a year. Doctor Who conventions are big business across the world, and the internet hosts countless websites devoted to the enigmatic series of doctors in their various guises and their arch enemies.

The appeal of the Time Lord from Gallifrey was so enduring that the BBC decided to mark the 35th birthday of the series with a week of programmes in November 1998 - but the shows were only broadcast on the digital service.

Although little has so far been revealed about how the new Doctor Who series will look - or who will be given the starring role - its writer has clear ideas of the way he wants it to feel.

"The new series will be fun, exciting, contemporary and scary," he said.

"Although I'm only in the early stages of development, I'm aiming to write a full-blooded drama which embraces the Doctor Who heritage, at the same time as introducing the character to a modern audience."

Mal Young said launching a new era of Doctor Who to a 21st century audience would be a challenge, but one to which the team were looking forward.

"Doctor Who is a much-loved, truly iconic piece of television history," he explained. "It's time to crank up the Tardis and find out what lies in store for the Doctor, and we're thrilled to have a writer of Russell's calibre to take us on this journey.

"However, we're at the very early stages of development and further details, including casting, will not be available for some time."

The BBC has said it is far too early in the day to discuss possible storylines, characters, villains or who might play Doctor Who - and no budget has yet been set. Like previous series, the new one will be aimed at a family audience, but no details are available on when it will be scheduled or the number and length of episodes.

Attachments

• doctor-who.jpg
    doctor-who.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 2,083
I just found out. Great news and about time. I just hope they use Paul McGann or recast the 8th Doctor, for continuity sake.

Well, just hope that when our dear old friend "THE DOCTOR" is returned to his rightful place, back on our TV screens in 2005 - we won't be too disappointed with the new version???

Would like to see "PAUL McGANN" given the chance to continue in the role if he wants too first - guess we;ll have to wait and see, won't we???

Was quite surprised that the pilot he did didn;t lead directly to a series. Although a little on the cheap side, it seemed well liked enough. They could've walked over Britain with a series - still could. There would be a massive audience for the first few episodes.

Same. They at least need another regeneration (and one that better captures the feel of the original series) for continuity.

The movie lagged in the ratings and the Americanisation put a few fans off, but merchandising, audio and books are still keeping thousands of fans rabid for more.

Set for christmas day this year apparently

Doctor Who is set for its long-awaited return on Christmas Day.

BBC chiefs have earmarked the start of the new series for a prime position in its festive schedule, reports the Daily Express.

The return will feature the Doctor - played by Christopher Eccleston - fighting his arch enemy the automatons.

It is still not clear who will be cast as the Doctor's assistant.

Former Brookside star Anna Friel and Spooks actress Keeley Hawes are favourites for the role.

"The Doctor Who project has lifted off with the kind of momentum no-one could have anticipated," a source told the paper.

The start of the new series will be one of the BBC's main attractions in this year's Christmas listings.

This is another show I'm really interested in. I was a big Who fan back when public TV carried it in the United States. I hope the revival is well done. It's been a long time since they made a Who episode, not counting the TV movie a few years back.