Kage Baker

Marianne

Nanny
I read an interview of hers in Locus this summer so I just ordered the first two books of her Company series. Has anyone read her books? If so, what did you think?

Marianne said:
I read an interview of hers in Locus this summer so I just ordered the first two books of her Company series. Has anyone read her books? If so, what did you think?
She is one of my favorite authors. In fact, I've got a review of her first Company novels, "In the Garden of Iden" up over on alternative-worlds; you might want to skip over there and give it a look.

Baker is one of my favorite writers. She's a good storyteller, she creates interesting characters that are easy to care about, and she does her research. I picked up "Iden" at the library, having never heard of Baker, largely because of the time period the novel takes place in and the fact that it involves time travel. I didn't know what to expect from it or from her, but I was hooked immediately. I don't often re-read books, but I've read this series three or four times now. Really good stuff.

By the way, welcome to another Californian. If you don't mind my asking, what part of the state do you come from? I'm pretty much right in the middle.

Lol, yes, littlemissattitude has done a great job with those reviews for Kage Baker. :)

Kage Baker - books, reviews

It's been a stupidly busy week, but I've got the monring to myself, so once I've finally updated alternative-worlds (there are a couple of new contributors) then I can sort out the moderator groups for this site.

I'll second that opinion of Kage Baker. The fact that the concept is a cool one and it's got history and time travel will pull you in but the actual character development will keep you there and bring you back for more.

I really really like this author and am always amazed that not more of her books are available. Even at Powell's, you'll be hard pressed to find a paperback copy of her early company books (Heck, the last few weeks I've checked, only Black Project, White Knights were on their shelves). I am just glad I jumped on this early and got all the pbs for reading copies and a couple of hard backs for my collection (only copy I'm having trouble with is Mendoza in Hollywood).

I usually am a little weary of 1st person narratives, but she does it so brilliantly and follow her character's pov so perfectly! I mean, when I read Iden, I was so immersed in Mendoza's view of Joseph that I really were beginning to dislike him.. then in Coyote, I found Joseph not only delightful, but soooo totally misunderstood by Mendoza. Now I just adore Joseph, but totally love Porfirio (sp) and wish to see more of him soon (and judging from The Angel in the Darkness, I think we will! Happy me).

Another aspect of the series that really captured me was the conspiracy theories. I really don't have a clue what will happen in 2355, not even a theory of my own; though I do have a few disjointed ideas, they don't seem to add up to any coherent theory. Anyone care to venture some?

I can just go on and on, most probably because I've just finished Angel and seeing poor Porfirio being blackmailed by some renegade immortal.. now I just can't wait to read the next book! December is definitely too far away.

I read The Garden if Iden about a year ago and thought it was okay. I like Connie Willis' style much more. I did read Anvil of the World, Baker's fantasy novel and I loved it.

Welcome, nyx_lily. Glad to meet another Kage Baker fan.:)

Yes, December is really, really too far away...what is it, two weeks?;) I'm just hoping that I can scrounge together the money for a copy, so that I don't have to wait for the library to get it or for it to come out in paperback - in a year.

As far as what will happen in the books when they reach 2355, I haven't a clue, and I'm trying not to speculate. I don't want to ruin the pleasure of reading about it when she writes about it, or risk being disappointed because her vision doesn't fit with mine.

I wonder what you think, however, about her predictions of what will happen generally in the future - more and more things becoming illegal "for our own good", the general dumbing down of the culture, and all that. You see a lot of that, of course, in the interactions with Company employees from the future in "Sky Coyote" and even more in "The Graveyard Game". Personally I think that she is, sadly, pretty right on about where things are going, at least in American society.

Anyway, welcome, again. Hope you enjoy the forum.:D

Well, I don't think the Americans would stand to have their coffee and sugar taken away from them, nor the English their tea ;) I made a reply to another thread about the way she portrays the future, in lots more detail.

I don't think Iden is her best Company work, though it does lay down a lot of groundwork of how they came to be. I personally liked Sky Coyote a lot better, and Mendoza in Hollywood even more. I think it was about the same time that I started this series I discovered Connie Willis (Don't remember if it was before or after). Their style is totally different though the basic time travel laws are similar. I like them in different ways.I just loved Mr. Dunworthy, in both the darker and more light hearted book!