Madeline Howard interview

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I think it's time we had ourselves a more formalised interview with Madeline Howard here. :)

In which case - I'd like to devote this thread to questions specifically for this interview.

Please note: You *may* ask questions that she may have answered elsewhere on the boards - but that doesn't matter and there's no need to search the arcives in case someone once asked her this before. :)

Presuming Madeline's fine with that, I'd like to offer the following:

1. When someone is published their work goes out for public consumption and peer review. Does that aspect make you nervous, and is there a point when you start to be concerned as to how people would view your work? And is it a consideration you generally try to address when constructing your story in the first place, or do you leave it out of your head until you've finished?

My questions -

2. What made you decide to be come an author?

3. The Hidden Stars is a complex novel, with different races and many characters in addition to a fully realized fantasy world. How did you keep track of it all while you were writing? Do you have some sort of organizational chart or system to help keep track of who is where, who is related to whom and what they should be thinking about at any given time?

4. I found the idea of the 'sleeping' beasts in the oceans to be a very intriguing idea. What was the inspiration for that?

5. Here is is, the obligatory "When can we expect the rest of the story?" :)

I'll take these one at a time.

Brian --

For years I just wrote whatever came into my head, and since I didn't give it much advance thought or work very hard at writing it down, the results were so stunningly awful that even I quickly lost interest. Then, when I was about thirty (the crisis point in so many lives!) a story and a set of characters began to possess me so completely, that I worked at getting it all down on paper so hard and for so many years (literally years for that one project), that something vaguely resembling a skill eventually emerged.

From that point on, a lot more thought and work went into every story, but the reader I most wanted to please was still myself. (Or at least a reader so wise and discerning that her tastes exactly matched my own.)

These days, when I'm writing for publication, it is necessary at the earliest stage to ask: Of all the different things that I might be writing, that could interest and inspire me, which one has the best chance of actually being published once it's finished -- and if published, actually read?

But from then on, through all the process of development and writing and rewriting, up until the final editing, my sole desire is to get my ideas across, to communicate my vision as accurately and vividly as possible -- and I couldn't care less whether anyone actually likes it, so long as I've done everything within my power to help them see it.

Then it comes time for the final editing before it goes to my editor, and then I do look at certain things and ask, "Besides myself, is there anyone in the known universe who could conceivably be interested in this particular detail?" (Sometimes the answer is no.) And at this stage I do try to anticipate what my editor will say, and fix any problems in advance.

It's only now, after the book is in print, that the question of whether I've written something that other people will find worth their time comes up. Oops, too late -- there's not a thing that can be done about it, except agonize. Although that particular part I do rather well -- the hindsight, the self torture, the anticipatory cringe before I read a review.

It turns out that no matter how long and how fervently you've dreamed of publication, there is still something absolutely horrifying about having it happen. Is anything worth that stomach-twisting moment when you hold that first Publisher's Weekly review in your hands and can hardly bring yourself to look at it? Can anything compare to the sickening sensation that claws at your innards between the moment when somebody says to you, "I read your book," and when they finally finish the sentence with the word, "I liked it"?

Well, no. Not really.

Fortunately, it's a lot like giving birth. Just as the human race manages to survive because so many women have selective amnesia about all of the suffering they went through during labor and delivery, it looks like the publishing industry will survive, too, because people like me have memory lapses of our own. Before you know, we're going through the same process all over again with a new book.

Rune --

In a sense, it would be accurate to say that being a writer -- as in someone who makes up stories and writes them down -- was never something I decided to be so much as something I just was. The stories were already there. I can't remember a time when they weren't there (on the other hand, at my age, there are a lot of things I can't remember) and just as soon as I could read and write I started putting them on paper.

But deciding on a career as a published writer as an actual goal or ambition, that was something that came later, and I can tell you just when that was. I was nine-years-old and finally made the connection: the main character in my favorite books (who I seemed to know and love like she was my best friend) had, in real life, grown up to be the author of those same books. And it came to me that if she could become a published writer, I could, too.

However, as you can see from my answer to Brian's question up above, it was still a long, long time before I finally got around to working at it seriously, and it took something that was quite a bit like demonic possession (but in a good way) before I was ready to put in the time and energy.

dwndrgn --

There was a time when I used to draw up elaborate family trees and time lines and all the rest of it (I even went so far as to give my characters birthdays and do numerological charts based on their names and birth dates!), as well as scribbling down notes in those stenographers notebooks (which unfortunately, since I was writing in the middle of the house, with four children and five or six dogs occupying the same space as my desk, often went missing).

Now I mostly just take notes as I think of them and pop them into (what I hope will be) appropriate folders, so I can pull them out when it becomes necessary. But since I do so many rewrites, and have a habit of rereading what I've already written (so many times that it's actually sort of sick and obsessive), most of the details are pretty much burned into my brain, and are there when I need them. Also, it helps that I currently don't have much of a life outside of writing. That frees up a lot of mental space.

You ask what inspired the idea of the slumbering beasties -- now that is something I don't remember. I didn't make a note of it at the time, and whatever the source was it's erased from my memory. It may have just been a development of other things I had already established for (what I thought were) completely different reasons. That happens sometimes.

Book Two is scheduled to come out in the spring. I've forgotten the exact month. Probably not March, because if it was I'd probably remember.

HMMM.. I really need to read Kelpie's books... :mad: :mad: :mad:

I remember Kate Eliott saying that they were good, problem is not sure if I can get them in a bookstore or only online??... :confused:

If they're available in the US in published book form I'll be able to get them easily enough.. :D

Q6: You may have answered this already but What Inspires You To write?That is to say why do you write, the actual reason? I know you've said the stories in a sense have always been there but what actually motivates you to put pen to paper?

Q7: Who are some of your major influences? I know as a fellow lover myself of older style fiction/fantasy you have a few but are there specific ones both fantasy and non-fantasy that really stand out or have literally changed/influenced your life??

Look forward to your reply... :)

Book Two is scheduled to come out in the spring. I've forgotten the exact month. Probably not March, because if it was I'd probably remember.
For those of us who ask, can we have a copy earlier than that? Is it possible? :)

Sorry Kelpie, I'm not the most patience person when it comes to finish reading a well written story.

How do you find the time to write? Is it hard with family and life in general? How do you keep yourself on task?

Gollum --

You ask what inspires me to write -- I'm assuming you mean the actual process of turning an idea into a coherent narrative rather than what inspires the germ of a story in the first place, which would be a whole different answer.

Aside from that pesky I've got a deadline, and I'd rather not have to return the advance for non-delivery thing? That would be the story itself. The sheer excitement of seeing everything take form, the discoveries, the surprises. The satisfaction of turning an idea, an image, or a feeling into words. The thrill when all the words come together in just the right way. As opposed to those times when I sit there with knotted brow trying to find the right words and they just won't come -- or the obsessive niggling over a word or even a punctuation mark. (Some people see that kind of niggling as artistic. I call it a sickness -- a sickness I know well.)

It's an incredible mental high whenever I am writing "in the zone." There are few pleasures in life that can even come close. (Better than chocolate, more long-lasting than sex.) Of course I'm not always IN the zone when I'm writing, but what keeps me going is the desire to get back there.

Also, just like any reader, I want to know what will happen next. Even though there is a certain amount of advance planning before I sit down to write, things still happen that astonish me, connections arise that I never expected, main characters will suddenly blurt out things that I never knew about them. It seems like even when my conscious mind stalls out, the subconscious is still at work, and she drops these thrilling little surprises into my lap from time to time. When I don't have a project in the works, she sulks and won't speak to me.

What are my influences and which writers have changed my life? I'll answer the second part first, because it's the easiest. Hands down that would be J. R. R. Tolkien. I loved fantastic literature before reading LOTR, but it never occurred to me that fantasy could have such scope. It was literally a revelation, and I was fired with a desire to produce an epic of my own. That was still in my lazy just throw it on the page and then lose interest period, so nothing much came of that particular story, but the impulse is still with me after almost forty years, so I'd call that a truly life-changing experience.

Interestingly enough, when I first became serious about writing, I tried very hard for a long time to keep out the Tolkien influence. Now I figure there has been sufficient time for me to absorb and assimilate it and come up with something that's completely my own, so I don't fight it anymore.

But other influences have been many and varied over the years, and different writers have had a greater or lesser influence on different stories. But you probably want to know who has influenced what I'm doing now -- the books you can (or will soon be able to) actually buy in bookstores throughout the US and online everywhere else. Sometimes it's hard to tell what the actual influences are in the middle of a project, because a lot of it is subliminal. Except that I know what I've actually read, your guess is about as good as mine at this point.

It would be safe to say that I'm not trying to follow any current trends or even to write a modern fantasy novel. There is an older style of storytelling that I really love, and that's what I'm aiming for in my own writing. So the influences going into the current story ( The Rune of Unmaking, Books One, Two, and Three) would probably include older authors like Tolkien, Peake, and Eddison, and writers who have been around for a long time, like Ursula K. LeGuin, C. J. Cherryh, Tanith Lee, Katharine Kerr, and Tad Williams. Alis Rasmussen aka Kate Elliott has had a direct influence, in that she critiqued a lot of my early manuscripts when we were both a lot younger.

And I've always loved fairy tales, folklore, and mythology. There's so much of that crowded into my brain, it's always slipping out when I'm trying to access something else. Certainly there are books about folklore and mythology that have shaped my thinking: Campbell, Frazer, Eliade, Graves, Zimmer.

When it comes to the worldbuilding aspect, I've done a lot of reading over the years on various historical odds and ends, like costume, cooking, heraldry, medicine, alchemy, magic, and so on and so forth. One particular book The Magus by Francis Barrett (first published in 1801) is influencing what I'm writing now at second hand, because it was a major source for another project, out of which this one eventually grew. I'm using the same world I created with the help of Barrett's historical magical systems, but at a period thousands of years in the past.

Alia --

Finding time to write used to be a big, big issue when I had a house full of children. But being young and full of fire I made time one way and another. I read somewhere that if you are a woman and you want to write, you'll have to accustom yourself to the idea of unmade beds, unironed clothes, and dirty dishes. Fortunately, I was never that obsessed with housecleaning anway. What it comes down to is a matter of priorities, and what you're willing to sacrifice, and how assertive you're willing to be in letting the people around you know that those areyour priorities. I told myself that if I wanted to be a published writer, I needed to start acting like one, in terms of hard work and dedication.

These days, finding time to write is not a problem. My children are grown, my husband is retired and willing to be helpful around the house, and I don't have another job besides writing. What I didn't have, from the beginning of the year (just after my mother died) until the end of May was the mental energy. Grief, exhaustion, ill-health, depression -- that's a powerful recipe for writer's block. Fortunately, things have vastly improved during the last two months.

How do I keep on task? When the writing is going well, it's all I want to do. It's very easy to stick with something that produces such bliss. When it's not going well, usually I don't try to force it. I figure the story is still gestating and that forcing it to be born prematurely would not be very wise.

You ask if there is any way that people here at Chronicles can get early copies before Book Two comes out in the spring. Unfortunately, I don't expect to have copies of the story in its final form much before that myself. But depending on when I get the bound proofs and how many copies can be weaseled out of my editor, I will probably hold a contest here at the site and give out a number of ARCs.

Thanks for that comprehensive and extremely interesting answer Kelpie!!... :)

I really appreciate it, especially when you make reference to some of the older style authors I really admire!!.. :D

You ask if there is any way that people here at Chronicles can get early copies before Book Two comes out in the spring. Unfortunately, I don't expect to have copies of the story in its final form much before that myself. But depending on when I get the bound proofs and how many copies can be weaseled out of my editor, I will probably hold a contest here at the site and give out a number of ARCs.
Final Form... I have several questions concerning this.
Who determine in what format, Hardback or Paperback, that your book would be released in? And what was the contributing factor to that decision?

Also, do foresee a book signing in the future? How do you promote or plan on promoting your books?

Also, I'm look forward to that contest, I can't wait. :)

Ooops, sorry -- I got distracted in some of the other threads and didn't come back to answer your question, Alia.

I think that several people in different departments take part in the decision whether to bring a book out in paperback or hardcover -- unfortunately, the author is not one of those people.

Books come out in trade format (either hardcover or large size paperbacks) in order to get more reviews and more library sales than they would if they were mass market originals.

For a while, it looked like publishers were trying to build up their trade paperbacks at the expense of mass market (possibly because the distribution system with mass market is so seriously flawed), but I'm not sure exactly what they are up to at the moment.

Sometimes publishers plan a mass market edition to follow after trade paperback and it doesn't happen. An author I know very well had this happen, after she had seen the cover copy for the mm edition and everything. She was told two different stories as to why this was decided, so the actual reason remains something of a mystery.

Thanks for the reply, Kelpie. I understand how this place can be distracting. :D

Just wondering... and I'm sorry for nagging...

Also, do you foresee a book signing in the future? How do you promote or plan on promoting your books?

Didn't answer that question because I don't have the answer yet. There is something that has to be decided, and not by me, before I'm in a position to make those plans. Sorry to be mysterious. If things work out, I hope to do a great many signings in the spring.

Well then, I shall be looking forward to spring and not just for better weather! :D

Thanks for answering even if you not sure yet. I will look forward to the next book release and will keep my fingers crossed for book signing within travelling distance. :)