Terry Brooks

Marianne

Nanny
I just had the amazing experience of attending a writer's retreat with Terry Brooks. I had to admit to him the only thing of his I had read was The Magic Kingdom and his book on writing, Sometime the Magic Works.
I would like to read some of his other works and wondered where I should start...at the beginning with Sword of Shanara or are some of the other books better?

I would definitely start with The Sword of Shannara...it was one of the first fantasy novels I ever read and I really enjoyed the story.

A retreat with a commercially published author? How cool is that?! I'm jealous. So, do tell, what did you do and what did you learn and did you have a great time?

Dawn "the ever curious" Dragon

I think that I'd have to say that Terry Brooks is my favorit author, He had a book signing over here in Hawaii but I had to work, major bummer. The Shannara series is awsome, I'm reading the newest trilogy right now called Jarka Rus. If you do decide to read them (and you should) make sure you read them in order, cause they refer back to other books frequently. You can start with the sword of Shannara or the First King of Shannara, since the The First King is a prequel. If you read them I guarantee that you won't be able to put them down.

Yes, Terry Brooks was my favorite fantasy writer for a time, until Tad Williams came along.

Start with First King of Shannara...they are rather addictive.

Sadly, the Shannara series does get monotonous after awhile.

People have called Brooks a Tolkien mimic, but I don't see how he mimics Tolkien more than any other fantasy writer.

I haven't read anything by Tad Williams, but I've heard of how great his books are. I'm going to have to pick them up some time, what books would you suggest 12.

I can see how people could find the Shannara series monotonus, but although the basic plots are fairly similar but I think that each book has it's own story and originality. The Shannara series, was one of my first introductions into the Sci-fi Fantasy world, because of that I'm probably a bit biased. Could also be that I have a fairly simple taste. I'd be first to admit that my knowlege of the 'technical" side of writing is lacking. To me a good book is one that draws me into the world the author has created, when I'm reading it, I stop not seeing the words and sentances, but places and things that those words are meant to convey. Terry Brooks has been able to do that with each of his books and so I continue to read :D

Of course being an engineering major I have to read alot of math and science books, and just about anything beats reading about double integration (ugh), except maybe circuit analysis.....speaking of which I think I have homework *sigh*

the gEEk

Sci-fi_gEEk said:
Terry Brooks has been able to do that with each of his books and so I continue to read :D

Of course being an engineering major I have to read alot of math and science books, and just about anything beats reading about double integration (ugh), except maybe circuit analysis.....speaking of which I think I have homework *sigh*

the gEEk
We all read different books for different reasons. Like what you read and read what you like - that is all that matters. I can see how people can feel Terry Brooks is derivative (because there are a lot of similar threads), but you can still enjoy the story and the characters in and of themselves. I enjoyed the entire series, along with its several follow-ups.

Reading about double integration or circuit analysis sounds absolutely thrilling...I'll take an appointment with the dentist over that, I'm sure.
biggrin.gif

Actually, your mention of circuit analysis reminded me of one of my favorites. If you're not scared of bad public hype I suggest you pick up L. Ron Hubbard's 'Battlefield Earth'. If you've seen the movie - the book is nothing like it, it is actually enjoyable
biggrin.gif
. I mention it because there is one portion of the story where the protagonist is attempting to copy a circuit and is getting nowhere...but if you are interested in reading it I won't spoil it by telling you how and why it is so tricky.

Sci-fi_gEEk said:
I haven't read anything by Tad Williams, but I've heard of how great his books are. I'm going to have to pick them up some time, what books would you suggest 12.
That's easy. Pick up the "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" series. A trilogy, but sometimes the split the final book into two (because it's so huge).

When I first read the Sword of Shannara series I was addicted. It really is a great series and the only reason some people may think it is a Tolkien rip off is probably the group made up of elves, dwarves, and men, however, the story itself is definitely original, did I mention that it's great?
As for Tad Williams, I have only read one of his books, "Tailchasers Song" I really liked it, I'll try to look for the trilogy "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" next time I'm at the bookstore (although where I live, the bookstore is not reliable :( ).

One more thing about the Shannara Series though, I'm presently reading the Voyage of the Jerle Shannara, in the mid-part of Morgawr and it does seem to be dragging a bit....but that may just be me :p

Hi talldoubleicedcapp, and welcome to the chronicles-network!

I've not actually read any Terry Brooks, so I can't really take part in this discussion. :rolleyes:

talldoubleicedcapp said:
One more thing about the Shannara Series though, I'm presently reading the Voyage of the Jerle Shannara, in the mid-part of Morgawr and it does seem to be dragging a bit....but that may just be me :p
I agree, somewhat. I've been reading them anyway since I like the uniqueness of the 'ships' and the new characters, especially the female ones. It seems though, that he didn't put as much thought into the actual story line...it almost reads like a role-playing game...very linear whereas his other Shanarra books were definitely not linear.

talldoubleicedcapp said:
As for Tad Williams, I have only read one of his books, "Tailchasers Song"

Yup...I read that too. That was his first mainstream published book, and in this little cute story you can see the roots of the writing style that he emphasizes in all of his books.

talldoubleicedcapp said:
One more thing about the Shannara Series though, I'm presently reading the Voyage of the Jerle Shannara, in the mid-part of Morgawr and it does seem to be dragging a bit....but that may just be me

I thought so too, although I was chugging through it pretty quickly. I had been waiting for it to come out for awhile so when I finally got my hands on it I more or less devoured it. While it was a good read, I didn't find it quite as good as his previous books. I have to agree with dwndrgn on it's linearity, and is it just me or does it seem that his books are getting shorter :confused: I got his latest book Jarka Rus and it seemed a bit skinny to me.

gEEk

He seems to be taking less time on them and putting them out quicker. I don't know if he is just tired of the story and its characters or if he is doing it for more monetary reasons. Whatever the reason he should probably take a break from that world altogether and start fresh somewhere else. He would find it refreshing I would think.

dwndrgn said:
He seems to be taking less time on them and putting them out quicker. I don't know if he is just tired of the story and its characters or if he is doing it for more monetary reasons. Whatever the reason he should probably take a break from that world altogether and start fresh somewhere else. He would find it refreshing I would think.
He probably is under contract with the publisher to write the Shannara series and is expected to turn out one every year or so. This doesn't leave much time to write something else. Publishers like series because that is what sells. He did write a few contemporary fantasies...Running with the Demon is the first in the series. I bought it at the conference but haven't read it yet.

I have read nearly all of Terry Brooks books apart from the Magic Kingdom of Landover series. Has anyone read this series and what thoughts can you share about it :)

I'm in about the same boat. I've read all of his Shannara books but I haven't been able to bring myself to read his other stuff. I've heard of the Landover series and another one....demon something....bah!! I can't think of the title and I'm too lazy to go check. Anywho, I anxiously await someone who, unlike myself, has something helpful to post :D .

gEEk

Twelve said:
People have called Brooks a Tolkien mimic, but I don't see how he mimics Tolkien more than any other fantasy writer.
Even in the sixth grade, when I first read “The Sword of Shannara,” I was pretty stunned by how overt the “influence” of “The Lord of the Rings” was on the story. From the Dark Lord back after years of silent to the pseudo-Nazguls to the Moria sequence to the ‘mean’ Gandalf and beyond (Orl Fane as Gollum, the famous sword, Skulldor, to Gand—errr, Allanon’s sacrifice), even at that fairly young age I couldn’t help but notice the parallel courses these two fantasy works took.

That did not stop me from enjoying the story, of course, enough so that I read the next two Shannara books as well. Though the blatancy of “Sword” gnawed at me, I ground through it and enjoyed the adventure.

After that, however, I had little interest of forging on through more Innocent Youths Go On Quest Involving Magic Relic Of Great Power, and thus left Shannara behind. It began to feel stale very quickly. And when I tried to return to “The Sword of Shannara” for a reread some time later, I was very put off by just how clear the “influence” was. I can understand the appeal for some people, but it’s not a world I am inclined to revisit.

Other writers have done a fine job of taking what Tolkien gave the world of fantasy and making it their own; reshaping, reimagining, and repainting, using what have become fantasy cliches to great effect. I think with "The Sword of Shannara," Brooks failed utterly in that task.

I’ve read a pair of the Landover novels (“Magic Kingdom For Sale” and “The Tangle Box”) and enjoyed them. Light-hearted without venturing in Xanth territory, fun adventures with interesting characters and situations. I can’t claim that I was hooked, but they provided a pleasant diversion from the more serious and grim fare on the shelves these days. They are certainly recommended. Brooks’ novelization of “The Phantom Menace” was also decent, too. Better than the film. It appears as if he has improved on his craft since “The Sword of Shannara.”

The Running With the Demon series is urban fantasy and very good. A complete departure from the sword and sorcery type story. I think he said he was hoping to write another modern fantasy in this series.

I wasn't thrilled with Running with The Demon, but I did finish it. I am back in love with Brooks though now that I'm reading the last Shannara series, Voyage of Jerle Shannara.

As for the Magic Kingdom series, I did read the first one, and really enjoyed it. But then I tried to read The Black Unicorn and got really bored and put it down. I think at that point, the novelty of a lawyer thrust into being king of a broken down kingdom he buys in a catalogue has worn off; and that was really the fun of the story to begin with.