Otherland

caladanbrood said:
I would agrue that it's neither science fiction or fantasy... but I guess sci-fi is the closest you could come to categorising it easily. Very confusing series. In fact, none of my current to-read pile appeals to me after I've finished Pandora's Star, so I'm thinking of re-reading this soon. Who knows;)

That's why some uses now the term of science-fantasy, olders series as Darkover (someone actually finished this one ?) and Pern's also fell in it. And true due to the use of computers and virtual reality, it can also qualify as cyber-punk. Maybe these different qualifications are just a proof the serie is very rich.
But i have yet to read his fantasy book about cats.

Yep,

Duncton Wood is by English-born author William Horwood. This is a six part fantasy series about a society of spiritual moles who inhabit a fully realised English countryside. The two trilogies consist of The Duncton Chronicles (3) and The Book Of Silence (3). Quite a good series actually.

Leto,

Tad William's book about a ginger tom cat is called Tailchaser's Song in case you're wondering. Not bad, considering it was Tad's first published work in the mid '80s before the great M,S,T series.

Bye Y'all!:D :D :D

Thanks Gollum, I'll pre-order it at my favorite bookshop.

GOLLUM said:
Yeh.. either that or get it from your local library.:D :D :D :D
Except Otherworld, Tad Williams is in the great unkown here. Not translated.

I admit I was mesmerized by the whole series. It was a great read, and I remember looking forward to each new book as they were released. If you crave sci-fi, it should satisfy that hunger.

I only had two real problems with the Otherworld series. Tad seemed to have gotten a little lazy with the world building after awhile. Instead of creating original worlds in the virtual environment of the story, he began relying on old and used ideas (the chessboard, the micronized world, the mother grimm section etc..).
The other problem I had was the ending. Without spoiling it, I'll just say that the ending idea was lame. He could have thought of something a little less "brainier" than that.

Chimeco said:
I admit I was mesmerized by the whole series. It was a great read, and I remember looking forward to each new book as they were released. If you crave sci-fi, it should satisfy that hunger.

I only had two real problems with the Otherworld series. Tad seemed to have gotten a little lazy with the world building after awhile. Instead of creating original worlds in the virtual environment of the story, he began relying on old and used ideas (the chessboard, the micronized world, the mother grimm section etc..).
The other problem I had was the ending. Without spoiling it, I'll just say that the ending idea was lame. He could have thought of something a little less "brainier" than that.

Yes I felt the ending was slightly lame too and a little rushed like he was rushing to get it completed perhaps.

rune said:
I found this series too complicated and hence that spoiled it for me. There were some good ideas, and it's very visual. However I think William's tried for a lot in the technology side and it came over too sci-fi for me.
And that's why I like it, it's epic sci-fi at its best. Too long ? Certainly, but worth the read.

GOLLUM said:
I've posted a reply about Duncton in a previuos post on page 2 of this thread Leto...:)
:( No reprise for a lazy girl ? ;)

Leto said:
It's autumn, I almost always wear them. ;)
WOHOO! *Mental image forms*..:D

I find it hard to believe that only Otherland is in French Leto. I would've thought the earlier Memory, Sorrow and Thorn may have been translated or the current Shadowmarch trilogy. I know some of these have been translated into German and other European languages...:(

Here have this to brighten your day *Hands Leto steaming cup of coffee and Croissant*

AFAIK only Otherland. But I'm not really looking at the fantasy part of the bookshops.
And Otherland has been divided in 6 books instead of 4.
Thanks for the coffee.

Leto said:
AFAIK only Otherland. But I'm not really looking at the fantasy part of the bookshops.
Yeh well in that case could well have some of the others translated then.

If you liked the coffee, check out the spread I've got going in the Lounge...:cool:

Just checked on Amazon.Fr there's a serie called "L'arcane des épées" in 7 volumes, which one is it exactly I don't know. And of course Autremonde (Otherland).

Leto said:
Just checked on Amazon.Fr there's a serie called "L'arcane des épées" in 7 volumes, which one is it exactly I don't know. And of course Autremonde (Otherland).
That's his original Memory, Sorrow and Thorn classic trilogy split into 7 volumes in French.

Thanks for checking up...:D

Now go partake of the rich abundance awaiting you at the Lounge...:cool:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Y Tad Williams 15
J Tad Williams 5
Brian G Turner Tad Williams 30
Suzakk Tad Williams 7
L Tad Williams 5