Further reading...

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I've received a few books recommendations around the forums. Just thought I'd post a list here to keep them in mind - and invite comments on the titles, if anyone wishes to.

"The One Kingdom" - Sean Russell

Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series

G.R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire

Sarantine Mosaic, Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay

Sara Douglas's stuff (Not the Axis or Wayfarer books)

Hm...fewer than I thought.

Re:Further fantasy reading...

Btw - I went to the bookshop today and bought the following:

"2001: A Space Odessey" - Arthur C. Clarke

"Foundation" - Isaac Asimov

"Fallen Dragon" - Peter F Hamilton

Hope there's some good reading there...

Btw - some may find it strange that after being so critical of "The Reality Dysfunction" that I'd be so happy to read the same author again. I freely acknowledge that the guy can write well and engagingly (and more important to myself, in the Third Person Ominscient POV (Point Of View)).

The trouble with the latter novel was feeling engaged with a whole range of utterly peripheral characters, sometimes over hundreds of pages, only to discover they had no real relevance to the plot in the first place! And his plotting was somewhat lacking. But "Fallen Dragon" should hopefully serve as an interesting piece for researching the relevant POV style, especially for applying to "Emperor".

Re:Further fantasy reading...

2001 is a great book. I just recently bought Foundation too, I'll be getting to it eventually.

Kilroy Was Here

Another one for the "wish list".

Gene Wolfe - Book of The New Sun

On another note, Gene was one of only a handful of authors to reply back to my letters asking for advice on approaching agents with Chronicles (David Gemmell and Stephen Lawhead also replied - there were a few e-mails from authors I'd never heard of).

What was particularly nice was that Gene Wolfe and Stephen Lawhead even purchased required overseas national stamps for reply postage, as I'd included GB stamps on all return envelopes.

There is a topic for Arthur C Clarke I believe. It would be nice to discuss Rama there.