Please help! Need to find title of sci-fi book

shufflefarm

Hello :)

I am looking to find the title of a sci-fi book I read a long time ago but has stuck in my mind. I will tell you all that I remember about this book. Perhaps you could tell me the title so I can once again own a copy.

The cover shows a person floating on their back (as if they are in some kind of floatation tank).

The story is about ESP/telepathy and a struggle between 2 factions to control the future, using it. One faction (the evil? ones) use machines to facilitate ESP, the other faction (good? guys) are natural telepaths . The story begins with the latter faction finding the hero of the story, having identified him as a telepath. I cannot remember much else about the story except for 2 details:

1. During the course of the story, the good guys discover a human with exceptional psionic ability in a floatation tank. The human has been in there for their entire life and couldn't (I think....) be removed from the tank as their body was too wasted to stand gravity. The human was being used by the bad crowd for naughty purposes!

2. The story has an open ending, with both factions racing to control the use of ESP within humanity. The good guys want to "spread the word" and enpower as many people as possible with ESP, thus bringing equality and openess to everyone. The bad guys, however, want to control humanity through use of their machine technology (or something like that!).

Anyway, sorry I can't provide more information than that. It was many years ago that I read the book (perhaps around the beginning of the 80's??) and somehow the book got lost or chucked out.

Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated!!

Thanks for reading this.

Best wishes and happy regards,

Stephen Smith - UK.

It seems like the sort of thing AE van Vogt would write, but I'm certain I haven't read this particular book, so I can't be sure. Might help to look at synopses of some of van Vogt's books on amazon, perhaps.

99% it isn't, but the plotline has some vague similarities to Katsuhiro Otomo's mind-bending manga series and anime movie Akira