Books you just can't stop reading!

Tikal

Icefyre
Has anyone else ever found a book or a group of books that they have to read at least twice, not necessarily because its such as good book, but because your drawn to the plot and the characters in the story?

Personally I could read most of David Gemmels books over and over, for some reason there just as good each time I read them despite the fact that I know whats going to happen. Its the same with the Modesitt books i've read, I just love to take a bit of time out and read them again.

I'll admit (grudginly- since this site seems to be anti Harry Potter), that I am always up for a good dose of Harry and the gang.

However, if I find a book that a REALLY like, like theh Farseer Trilogy, I just can't read them again, it's like im breaking the rules or something!

Anyone else got any multiple readers they want to share?

Last edited:
Steven Erikson's Malazan books of the Fallen. I don't re-read much, but these not just deserve a re-read, but require one if you're to get the most out of it. I also would think that George RR Martin's A song of Ice and Fire, China Mieville's New Crobuzon books, R Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing and Magician and the Empire series by Feist are all books that I would like to re-read, but I don't have the time, unfortunately.

David Eddings' Belgaiead and Mallorean series(plus Polgara the Sorceress, Belgarath the Sorcerer, and The Redemption af Althalus). I re-read them at least once a year. They are all quick reads, plus I love the stories and characters.

Most of my books I re-read, if just to understand them better.

The classic Dumas novel, The count of Monte Cristo.

I also have a tendancy to revisit the earlier books in a series when the next chapter is about to be released.

I am going to start to read the song of ice and fire again in preparation for A Feast For Crows in October, cant wait.:)

Erikson, naturally. Also Neil Gaiman and Neil Asher are both easily re-readable:)

The only series/book I've read more than once is LOTR by Tolkien. Probably read this 3-4 times in 20 years.

I don't like to reread books/series as I like to have the orgional memories of a book unspoilt or altered, weird I know but that's me... :eek: Not even my all time fav Erikson will get a full and proper reread, just not my style.. :cool:

GRRM and Neil Gaiman, Bernard Cornwell. And Harry Potter is a guilty pleasure for me as well. Though I have to say I haven't really come across any anti-Harry sentiment on this site so far...

For me it's THe Riverworld series by Philip Jose Farmer. Absolutely brilliant every time around.

THe Sci Fi channel made a TV adaptaion of it, which I caught 5 minutes of and dismissed as an appalling mistake. It bore no real resemblance to the books...and sadly has probably ensured no future...proper...adaptation will ever be made of that series. Actually, that's probably for the best.

Just occured to me from the title of this thread.
How about hypnotic books? Books that you literally can't put down because you're forced to read them :)

There's an idea - subliminal novels :D

Winters_Sorrow said:
Just occured to me from the title of this thread.
How about hypnotic books? Books that you literally can't put down because you're forced to read them :)

There's an idea - subliminal novels :D

Hehe, thats a pretty good idea! I can just imagine everyone on a bus reading the exact same book with wide euyes and dilated pupils:eek: . We could make a fortune!

Ah, the blood thirsty mercenary types show their true colours!!! :D

I'd hate to have a book downloaded into my brain... Like to take my time over them... :D

Years back, The Deryni Chronicles and The Lord of the Rings, of course. Recently, the only fantasy I would consider rereading is Scott Bakker's.

Books I can always reread (regardless of genres)

Almost all of the Sherlock Holmes adventures (except Study in Scarlet with its boring backstory), all of the Professor Challenger episodes (except the insignificant Disintegration Machine) by A.C. Doyle
Island of Dr. Moreau, almost all of the short stories of H.G.Wells
Three men in a boat - Jerome K Jerome
Coming up for air - George Orwell
English, August - Upamanyu Chatterjee
Danse Macabre, Different Seasons, Skeleton Crew, Night Shift - Stephen King
The little world of Don Camillo - Giovanni Guareschi
Painter of Signs, Printer of Malgudi, Malgudi days
(shorts collection) - R.K. Narayan
Krishnavatara
(legend of Krishna) - K.M. Munshi

I am very ashamed to say that Harry Potter has been read many times by me:eek:
But the most re-read ones would have to be Dragonlance, Lord of the Rings, R.A.Salvastores books, and A Song of Ice and Fire.

alexhurry said:
I am very ashamed to say that Harry Potter has been read many times by me:eek:

Nothing to be ashamed about. Sometimes our guilty pleasures are our most beloved!!!