Locus Awards and question?

dwndrgn

Fierce Vowelless One
Here is a link to the 2005 winners of the Locus awards. I actually have two questions: 1)How is the Neal Stephenson book considered science fiction rather than fantasy? I've always considered it to be an alternative history fantasy. 2)Is the entire series the winner? If so, why wouldn't they put in the titles for all three?

I'm so confused. Of course, that is my normal condition. When reality returns (should it ever) I may actually understand what is going on...

http://www.locusmag.com/2005/News/07_LocusWinners.html

It's only the books published this year which win, so only they can be put forward. It can't be the entire series, because they weren't all published in 2005.
I have no idea about Neal Stephenson's book being called sci-fi not fantasy though.

I have always considered The Baroque Cycle to be Science Fiction, but wouldn't argue it being on any Fantasy list either- the genre lines are often blurrerd now between Science Fiction anf Fantasy, I would get used to it. Thw same could be said for Mieville's work, he won the Arthur C. Clarke Award ( generally associated with Science Fiction), and the Locus Fantasy Award for Iron Council. One can make a case that hsi work is both - as long as they give it to quality works I won't complain. In this case with Mieville and Stephenson as choices, I find it hard to complain:)

From the very first time I saw the results (which was a couple days ago), I was confused by both of Stephenson's work being listed as well - I was thinking about emailing Locus and asking them, but it's really not important, perhaps the 2 novels tied *shrugs*, at an rate Stephenson won for his Baroque Cycle work.

Also, a slight correction, these books were not published this year (2005), but last year.

With its steampunk elements, Stephenson's work has equal claim to being fantasy, alt-history and sf. As Ainulindale said, the operative point is that quality work is being recognised - and frankly, it's great that works that blur the genre lines are being written!! :)

I love it when genre lines get blurred. Kicks people out of their complacency and the tendency to try to push everything into a preconceived category. Just call me a literary rebel.:)

I ended up communicating with Mark at Locus and here is the explanation in regards to the Stephenson Confusion/System of the World being names as winners:

the compilers of the Locus recommended reading list – that is, the magazine’s editorial staff, not me -- decided that the two books should be considered as one, the same way Gene Wolfe’s two books were really one long novel published in two volumes. They’ve been doing that for several years now. The ballot options were built to reflect the r.r. list options, and as it happens, the single option for the combined Stephenson books won in that category.

As I said in the Mieville thread, I'm shocked at how weak a year it was for fantasy publishing. Of course, LOCUS consistantly avoid Erikson, but nonetheless, the five top books in the fantasy category wouldn't get close, most years...

the five top books in the fantasy category wouldn't get close, most years...

I strongly disagree with that (which doesn't mean anything, just a different opinion:) ) - Gene Wolfe, China Mieville, Stephen King, Charless Stross, and Terry Pratchett? It doesn't get much better than that. Regarding the winner (Iron COuncil), and I enjoy Erikson's work tremendously, but he has never written a novel that comes close to any Bas-Lag novel IMHO (that I have read)

It's not just Locus that doesn't recognize Erikson (which BTW the final ballot is voted on by the fans), - it's practicaly every major award group in the industry. Locus, at least in this regards, has shown relatively little bias, as Martin won the award for every aSoIaF book, and even Rowling has won.

Erikson has consistenly, puts out quality work, but IMHO has never come close to have releasing the best book of any year. I was baffled when he was nominated (in fact made the shortlist) for the World Fantasy Awards for Gardens of the Moon.

Memories of Ice was streets ahead of Iron Council, imho...

In regards to the award, Memories of Ice came out in 2002.

On a personal level, I certainly enjoyed Memories of Ice (as I have all of Erikson's work - I'm a big fan), I just can't see picking up Memories of Ice, and than picking up Iron Council, and coming away with any feeling that the prior is a better novel than the latter.

That said everyone puts different emphasis on elements they enjoy in a book - truthfully I don't think Iron Council was the best novel last year, but IMHO it's more than worthy enough to take the honors.

At any rate I'm looking forward to both Mieville's upcoming collection and next year for Erikson's Bonehunters.:)

I wasn't suggesting that Memories of Ice should have won the award... but its certainly better than Iron Council. I guess it depends on what kind of thing you look for in your fantasy books. Innovation and breaking the cliches are Erikson's things, but set in a very typical fantasy world. Mieville is a lot more anti-typical, and I guess this appeals a lot more to the fantasy critics sensibilities. He uses lots of complicated words too, so they get a fuzzy high-and-mighty feeling too;):rolleyes:

Though comparing Mieville and Erikson is even harder than comparing Martin and Erikson, so I won't start trying... personally, I read for enjoyment, nothing else, and Erikson's books are generally more enjoyable to read. Certainly more enjoyable that Iron Council, which was too muddled to be up with the best. Its a much much closer run thing with PSS and The Scar. Some of Erikson's stuff is more enjoyable, some slightly less.

But, really, the two authors are like chalk and cheese. Theres no real way to compare the various pros and cons of the two...