recommendations????

pug_condoin

Hi everybody!!!

im a really big fantasy novel fan. But recentley ive been having a right nightmare trying to find a series/trilogy/stand alone thats to my liking. I really enjoy novels that involve a long dangerous quest with magical creatures ( elfs,dwarves, etc) and lots of magic.

Please could i have some recomendations so i can end this dilema!!!

Ta.

IMO the best fantasy series out there at the moment is Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. The first book, Gardens of the Moon, isn't particularly easy to get into. But push through it, and the next book is simply amazing. Looking at your name, I assume that you've read a lot of Raymond E Feist - I went from Feist to Erikson, and to my surprise, Erikson was a lot better. It has magical creatures, just original ones, lots of very memorable characters, great plots - though maybe not the simplistic long dangerous quest type ones that much.
All of these are excellent, but I'll just list some of the best here:
1) Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen
2) George RR Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire
3) China Mieville - Perdido Street Station, The Scar, Iron Council (excellent, but very imaginative and not your traditional type of fantasy)
4) R Scott Bakker - the Prince of Nothing series
5) Michael Moorcock - Elric series
6) Raymond E Feist - Empire series
7) Fritz Leiber - Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser Tales
8) Gene Wolfe - Book of the New Sun
9) J.V.Jones - Sword of Shadows
10) Glen Cook - The Black Company

Reluctant as I am at all times to put myself forward ...

Since you mention magical races, magical creatures, a long dangerous quest, and just magic in general, you might find my own epic to your taste.

You would have to order it online though, if you're not in the US or Canada, because it hasn't been published in the UK yet.

The Hidden Stars is excellent. I'll gladly second Kelpie's recommendation!

I also rather like Katya Reimann's Wind From a Foreign Sky, though the sequels are underwhelming. No elves, but there are shapeshifters and magical animals and a whole lot of gods.