Big Trouble In Little China (1986)

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
Any musings, meanderings or general textual jousting on Big Trouble In Little China?
Please put it here :)

I love that movie!

I think that the fact that the movie doesn't take itself seriously goes a long way to making it more funny. It is a parody that can be enjoyed even if you don't realize you are watching a parody. Most people need some sort of frame of reference to enjoy parodies, but this one can be enjoyed by anyone.

'Egg' has to be my favorite character, right next to 'lightning' who I found to be extremely attractive...:D

I also love the extremely implausible but fun things like the robotic 'eye' and the hand-held crossbow that lifted them all out of the tunnel.

This film has to be the ultimate in implausably entertaining fun. Hollywood action movie meets Hong Kong Martial Arts movie with Kurt Russell playing his trademark 'cool character' who managed to come off as an amusingly inept version of his character from 'Escape from NY' Snake Pliskin.

The overacting is hammy, the cast are obviously enjoying themselves and it's the kind of film that you can watch on your own or with your family.
I love this film :)

This is a great, fun film but the guy I really admire is John Carpenter himself. Not only does he cram as many genres into one movie as possible (comedy/kung fu/ fantasy etc. etc.) and make a great movie, but he composes his own film score(as always) and , in this instance, does the vocals for the closing tune as well. The guy is just a mass of talent!

And not forget western, as in the beginning of the street fighting scene.
This is pop-corn movie at its best : lots of fun, intelligent jokes, crazy figthts and as Tsu said, watchable on your own or with family and friends.

The thing I loved most about this movie was how lean it was. It provided just enough information and set-up at any one time or in any one scene to allow the viewer to know what was going-on, without pointless excess scenes that cluttered it up.

Its a great film without a doubt and I believe it to be the only action adventure the horror maestro did. It was also great to have a hero who was incompetent and totally out of his depth, nice touch. Not to sure about Kurt Russell's imitation of John Wayne though.

Wait!! Jack Burton wasn't incompetent. He was just out of his depth.

It's all in the reflexes.