Jonathan Stroud

rune

rune
Any fans of this author here :)

He's not written much, but I did enjoy The Amulet of Samarkand :) I'm going to start Golem's Eye soon, it's been sitting on my pile of books to read for a few weeks so really need to find out how the 2nd book progresses the series.

I lile a lot of the novels that have come out of late targeting the younger audiences You know, I love Philip Pullman's work, I love Clive Barker's Abarat, I like Rowling, I like Nix, and I have to say I was disappointed in Stroud. I also read The Amulet of Samarkand, and admittedly it wasn't horrible I didn't come away with any urgent desire to read the sequel. if you don't mind please read my review Here, and tell me what you think, agree or disagree on:)

A very comprehensive review, Ainulindale. I have just read The Amulet of Samarkand (finally!) and tend to agree with much of what you said. My only point on which we differ is the footnotes. I found them distracting and ultimately irritating. A bit like David Eddings' penchant for using the same tired sarcasm in all of his latter works. Overall I enjoyed Jonathan Stroud's first book in this series, but won't rush to buy the next.

A very comprehensive review, Ainulindale

Thanks!

I have just read The Amulet of Samarkand (finally!) and tend to agree with much of what you said. My only point on which we differ is the footnotes. I found them distracting and ultimately irritating.

I think I liked them more so because it added to the one aspect of the novel that merited my attention which was Bartimaeus (as they were all his POV). Footnotes are becoming somewhat prevalent again, and I think the trend will continue with he incredibile popularity and success of of Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (a truly superior read IMHO).

A bit like David Eddings' penchant for using the same tired sarcasm in all of his latter works

Don't get me wrong I didn't enjoy Stroud's work too much, but I hate to compare anyone with Eddings:) That's cruel and unusual.

Ainulindale said:
Don't get me wrong I didn't enjoy Stroud's work too much, but I hate to compare anyone with Eddings:) That's cruel and unusual.

What's cruel about comparing someone with Eddings? I liked Eddings' early work, but he just failed to reinvent himself in his later books. My own fantasy novels have earned a few references to having been written by an 'English David Eddings', which is not a comparison that I would like to shy away from. :)

What's cruel about comparing someone with Eddings? I liked Eddings' early work, but he just failed to reinvent himself in his later books

Nothing personal:) Edding's is probably one of my least favorite authors. At it's time I coudl stomach Belgariad, but you hit the nail on the head with your statement about the repetiveness.

Ainulindale said:
I lile a lot of the novels that have come out of late targeting the younger audiences You know, I love Philip Pullman's work, I love Clive Barker's Abarat, I like Rowling, I like Nix, and I have to say I was disappointed in Stroud. I also read The Amulet of Samarkand, and admittedly it wasn't horrible I didn't come away with any urgent desire to read the sequel. if you don't mind please read my review Here, and tell me what you think, agree or disagree on:)

Read your review, it was well thought out :)

However I really liked The Amulet of Samarkand and thought having the story mostly told from Barimaeus POV was a very good stroke. It added humour and a level of maturity that would have been missing otherwise.
I did find the footnotes distracting, but they were very funny at times and for me to laugh at a book is pretty good going :D
I've only read the first few pages of The Golem's Eye and instantly engaged in the story. I just think Stroud must have a writing style that I can relate to.
We all have our favourites, the ones who's voice/style clicks with you :) Stroud seems to click very well with me :D

I've read Garth Nix, JK Rowling, Clive Barker's Abarat and Philip Pulman and though I like a few of Garth Nix's books (some better than others) and very much enjoy Rowling's Harry Potter series. I think Clive Barker can be hit and miss and Philip Pulman (well his first book is OK but the rest just seemed flat)

I personally think Jonathan Stroud is a very good writer, quite refreshing and a good story teller :D

I managed to finish The Golem's Eye before I went away on a break and quite enjoyed it. I felt Stroud's style had matured a little more and I liked were it took the characters :D

Anyone else read it?

I have his first one, "The Amulet of Samarkand", sitting on my to-read pile.

Correction: near the bottom of my to-read pile;)

Is he any good?

I actually quite like his books and read The Amulet of Samarkand and The Golems Eye :)

There seems to be mixed thoughts on them. I get the impression you either love them or you dont like them at all.
Who does include footnotes, which I generally find rather annoying. But some of his are so funny that I found I read most of them and thats not usual for me :D

They are fantasy stories, about a young wizard in training who calls up a demon to help him deal with a few problems :D

He's on my 'to read' list, just haven't got a copy of his book(s) yet. The Bartimus series is supposed to be very good.