Stephen Baxter

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Any appraisals of his writing here?

Bought "Titan" a while back, and tried to start it the other day - but the first couple of pages appeared to be a full scale description of someone putting on a space suit. Yes - clever that he researched the names for the fittings - but it put myself quite off.

I figure it probably gets better - long info dumps a bad habit of his? Or just my attention span being short?

his descriptions are long and accurate--it is worth continuing the book

Well, I've started it - descriptions don;t seem so long now.

It opens in 2004, with a pair of astronauts performing a spacewalk - from the space shuttle Columbia. :'(

If I remember right the book opening is also extremely relevant to a certain major news item.

Titan is my favorite Baxter novel (not including Ring, Flux, Raft, or any of the books belonging to the Xeelee sequence, those stand alone). You really need to give it a chance, there are some awesome plot twists and he does a really good job of developing characters (a lot of people criticize Baxter for this because his sci fi is really 'hard' sci fi, focusing on the science). I can't emphasize enough what a great book this is. I've read it twice its so good... you'll be rewarded if you can get past the beginning. I found it easy to jump right into, but then again I'm a huge Baxter fan and maybe a little prejudiced, but not without reason, Baxter is a terrific writer.

I've read a bit of Stephen Baxter's work, not a whole lot - his collection of short stories, Traces, Anti-Ice, an excellent alternate history romp, and the last volume of the Manifold series. I have a copy of Evolution lying around in my to-read stack. He combines the storytelling values of classic writers like Clarke (an avowed favourite and recently also a collaborator) with a firm grip on the science of his stories, from what I've read. He also seems reasonably prolific, going by this bibliography:

Series

Xeelee

1. Raft (1991)

2. Timelike Infinity (1992)

3. Flux (1993)

4. Ring (1994)

5. Vacuum Diagrams (1997)

Behemoth

1. Silverhair (1999)

2. Long Tusk (1999)

aka Mammoth

3. Icebones (2001)

Behemoth: Mammoth, Long Tusk, Icebones (omnibus) (2004)

Manifold

1. Time (1999)

2. Space (2000)

3. Origin (2001)

Destiny's Children

1. Coalescent (2003)

2. Exultant (2004)

Time Odyssey (with Arthur C Clarke)

1. Time's Eye (2003)

2. Sunstorm (2005)

Novels

Anti-Ice (1993)

The Time Ships (1995)

Voyage (1996)

Titan (1997)

Cilia-Of-Gold (1998)

Moonseed (1998)

The Web: Webcrash (1998)

The Light of Other Days (2000) (with Arthur C Clarke)

Reality Dust (2000)

Omegatropic (2001)

Evolution (2002)

Riding the Rock (2002)

Ages in Chaos (2004)

Transcendent (2005)

Chapbooks

Mayflower II (2004)

Collections

Traces (1998)

Phase Space (2002)

The Hunters of Pangaea (2004)

Non fiction

Deep Future (1985)

Revolutions in the Earth: James Hutton and the True Age of the Earth (2003)

Well, I read Titan as well and found it pretty good. The premise was interesting, but he spent a lot of the book on the prep for the flight. Then the trip took a while, with the surface of Titan being toward the end. The final end is somewhat unexpected and unique. I enjoyed the book, but it is not one fo the ones I would re-read again.

The Time Ships . A great sequel to the time machine.(y)

WOW, i didn't realise he was that prolific. Hasn't he also just released a book co-authored with Alistair Reynolds too?

I have read a few of his back catalogue and did enjoy what i read, but i never really got into him.

Loved Time Ships, though.

I put Stephen Baxter among my favorite authors. I loved Manifold Time and Manifold Space but just couldn't get into Manifold Origin. I also loved a lot of his other series and his collaborations with Clarke (Time Odyssey series) and Pratchett (Long Earth series.) Looking at his info there are a lot of things that have been published since this thread was last updated. I was surprised by the number of them I had read.

P.S. The reason I'm reviving older threads is that I hate reinventing the wheel or starting a new thread when an exiting one is already in existence. I'm going back through the backlog of the Book Discussion forum and replying to threads that interest me.

I put Stephen Baxter among my favorite authors. I loved Manifold Time and Manifold Space but just couldn't get into Manifold Origin. I also loved a lot of his other series and his collaborations with Clarke (Time Odyssey series) and Pratchett (Long Earth series.) Looking at his info there are a lot of things that have been published since this thread was last updated. I was surprised by the number of them I had read.

P.S. The reason I'm reviving older threads is that I hate reinventing the wheel or starting a new thread when an exiting one is already in existence. I'm going back through the backlog of the Book Discussion forum and replying to threads that interest me.

There nothing wrong with reviving old Threads .Have you read his book The Massacre off Mankind ? :)