Blast from the Past: Space 1999

The Master™

Science fiction fantasy
"It's 1999 and a base has been built on the Moon. Moonbase Alpha
safeguards the nuclear waste shipped from Earth and carries out research. Moonbase Alpha is staffed with 311 crew members.

On September 13, 1999, disaster strikes. The nuclear waste explodes, in a chain reaction, and the Moon is hurled out of Earth's orbit, into deep space.

Thus begins the adventures of Space:1999.

"We've had a lot of success so far. We know what dangers to expect out there from black suns, neutron storms, radiation and the like, but if we think we know everything that goes on out there, we're making a terrible mistake!"
-- John Koenig, Commander Moonbase Alpha"

Cast:
Zienia Merton
Role: Sandra Benes
Anton Phillips
Role: Dr. Bob Mathias (Season 1)
Suzanne Roquette
Role: Tanya Alexandria (Season 1)
Jeffrey Kissoon
Role: Dr. Ben Vincent
Barry Morse
Role: Prof. Victor Bergman (Season 1)
Clifton Jones
Role: David Kano (Season 1)
Martin Landau
Role: Commander John Koenig
Barbara Bain
Role: Dr. Helena Russell
Prentis Hancock
Role: Paul Morrow (Season 1)
David Kano
Role: Clifton Jones
Catherine Schell
Role: Maya (Season 2)
Barbara Kelly
Role: voice of Computer
Nick Tate
Role: Capt. Alan Carter
Tony Anholt
Role: Chief of Security Tony Verdeschi (Season 2)

I remember Space 1999. Wasn't much of a fan, but my father liked it a lot. I don't know what it was about it that I didn't like, really.

One piece of trivia: Barbara Bain is very active in literacy advocacy, and spoke about it at a convention I attended a few years ago. It was an interesting convention. Our other speaker that day was LeVar Burton, in his capacity as host of "Reading Rainbow" - but of course, he also had some stuff to say about Star Trek: TNG. It was a very cool day.:)

When UFO was cancelled at short notice, Gerry Anderson had already built the new moonbase sets for the expected next season. Hence, Space: 1999 was created instead.

Though Space: 1999 was more popular I think I prefer UFO. One thing that bothered me about Space: 1999 (even as a child at the time) was how they were travelling on the remains of the Moon, out of our Solar System, yet they still managed to meet New Aliens, Strange Planets, etc. on a weekly basis.

One thing that bothered me about Space: 1999 (even as a child at the time) was how they were travelling on the remains of the Moon, out of our Solar System, yet they still managed to meet New Aliens, Strange Planets, etc. on a weekly basis.

Monster of the week syndrome. It affected many Science Fiction TV shows. I watched it but unfortunately if you really want to watch Science Fiction on Television you can't be a critic most of the time.

I recently watched the re-runs on ITV4. I had fond memories of the programme but I regretted watching it again, as it wasn't half as exciting as I remembered it.

Shame really

Used to love this show as a kid, but only the first couple of series....once they introduced that bird who could shapeshift, changed the theme tune and tried to generally 'jazz it up' a bit, it all turned to crap!!

I remember it fondly, the first season particularly. I know George Lucas liked it for the special effects, especially the use of models. The second season was (I think) helmed by the fellow that did the generally considered inferior third season of Star Trek (TOS).