greg keyes - the briar king

Ridiculous, Kaneda. How can someone who appreciates Akira shy away from horror? That movie had some pretty scary sequences.

kaneda said:
I'm just checking - is this book scarey? got any aspect of horror in it? it sounds like it could (which is not good for me)
I've read the first 2 books in this series and rate it amongst the top fantasy series I'm currently reading. From memory it isn't that scary, may have one or two dark moments in it and certanly has some supernatural elements/themes but nothing that I'd call that scary, certainly not horrror in the sense of a Steven King novel etc.. although I recall Book 2 having some darker/bloodier (incl. human sacrifice) moments than Book 1 Briar King BUT still nothing that frightening IMO.

Hope that helps... :D

Although I think Keyes attempts to instill the a snall sense of horror element, it's really more of a natural/fanatstic element regarding the actual Briar King in the book, which in all honestly, that characters depiction came out a little flat for my tastes. At any rate, whatever he is attempting, I woul ddescribe it as isntillig nany sense of horror/fear.

I think Keyes is a capable writer, and in regards to epic fantasy series this is a good one, but not on the level of a few other current series written by Martin, Bakker and Erikson, but solidly on a tier below.

I reviewed The Briar King, if interested, my full thoughts on it are [url=http://www.fantasybookspot.com/?q=node/view/158[/url]]HERE

Ainulindale said:
Although I think Keyes attempts to instill the a snall sense of horror element, it's really more of a natural/fanatstic element regarding the actual Briar King in the book, which in all honestly, that characters depiction came out a little flat for my tastes. At any rate, whatever he is attempting, I woul ddescribe it as isntillig nany sense of horror/fear.

I think Keyes is a capable writer, and in regards to epic fantasy series this is a good one, but not on the level of a few other current series written by Martin, Bakker and Erikson, but solidly on a tier below.

I reviewed The Briar King, if interested, my full thoughts on it are [url=http://www.fantasybookspot.com/?q=node/view/158[/url]]HERE
Agreed it's not in the "top bracket" I take back the word "Top' in my post, but still well above the average of the current batch of modern fantasy authors/series. What I would place on the second tier level of current authors. :D

ravenus said:
Ridiculous, Kaneda. How can someone who appreciates Akira shy away from horror? That movie had some pretty scary sequences.

Its strange isn't it. But then akira has never really scared me. Its always produced a more wtf is going on reaction :D

You would think that my reaction to horror in films especially would have diminished the older I got - but in fact i think it bothers me more now. Sin city showed about 5 horror trailers which had me shaking for over an hour into the film, i didn't sleep that night AND i had nightmares for about a week :eek: (and i have problems sleeping already!). BUT sin city itself didn't bother me at all!

With books that depict horror I just don't read them before i go bed!

Silly eh :rolleyes:

Well i can deal with human sacrafice gollum, but if by reading the briar king my sleeping pattern gets even more screwed than it already is I'm gonna rob a bank for the air fare to come to australia to hunt you down :p

I'll have a read of your review now lindale...

kaneda said:
Well i can deal with human sacrafice gollum, but if by reading the briar king my sleeping pattern gets even more screwed than it already is I'm gonna rob a bank for the air fare to come to australia to hunt you down :p
Now you are beginning to scare me.... :eek:

It definitely isn't a horror book, though it does have some dark parts in it. I agree pretty much exactly with what you said there, Ain. The Briar King is a good introduction, but not on the level of Erikson, Martin etc. The Charnel Prince was better though.

Well i finished reading it (only took me a day and a half when i actually decided to just sit down and read). REALLY enjoyed it! So much that i got changed to go to the bookshop to buy the charnel prince only to find out that its actually quite warm out and i'd gone out in my big black coat :eek:

So going to read the prince of dogs then go out and buy it (Gardens of the moon will have to wait now :D )

Glad you liked Briar King Kaneda.... :D

Good news is the 3rd (of projected 4 books) The Blood Knight should be out by next month.... :cool:

Good news is the 3rd (of projected 4 books) The Blood Knight should be out by next month....

Question - Is that official? I was under the impression this was pushed back indefinitely. I just did a retailer/pre-order search and found no listing. I don't have a relationship with Del-Rey, and if it is I want to annoucne it on FBS:)

Ainulindale said:
Question - Is that official? I was under the impression this was pushed back indefinitely. I just did a retailer/pre-order search and found no listing. I don't have a relationship with Del-Rey, and if it is I want to annoucne it on FBS:)
NO this is from memory the information I had a few months ago so you're probaly safer in assuming this is not offical YET if you've heard or read something to the contrary... :)

*EDIT* Still here's hoipng it comes out sometime this year.. :D

*EDIT* Had a look at Greg's site and it has a tentaive date of Aug 2005 but there was little word of late on the grapevine. Another contact who actually manages Greg's website and correpsonds with him has stated (June 2005):

"I will probably redesign it (greg's site) slightly when Steven Youll finishes up the artwork for THE BLOOD KNIGHT, and then Greg and I will spend some time with the content. THE BLOOD KNIGHT is more than likely pushed back a few months, but should come out before the end of the year. Greg knows where the story is going, but he really believes in delivering the best sentence possible each time out and this book is important due to the set up of the last and final chapter of the series"

Hope this clarifies things a little more.... :(