Book Hauls!

Re: Recent Buys

I ordered a few books back in October with the fantasy and sci fi book club and they didnt come, and I thought they had gone missing and I was waiting for a credit.

Then suddenly they turned up today :) , several weeks after they were shown as dispatched mind, but hey, they're here :D

I got -

Iron Council - China Mieville
The Golems Eye - Jonathan Stroud
Blood Price & Blood Trail - Tanya Huff
Bitten, Stolen, Dime Store Magic and Industrial Magic - Kelley Armstrong
Prisoner of Ironsea Tower - Sarah Ash

And two weeks ago there was a sale at WHS and I got-

Mister Monday & Grim Tuesday - Garth Nix
The Eye of the World - Robert Jordan

Not forgetting two books I got from the 2nd hand store last week -

The Fey Sacrifice - Kristine Kathryn Rusch
Stone and Sky - Graham Edwards

Got loads to read now, I'm in seventh heaven :D

Received by PR, the first book of Prince of Nothing : the Darkness that comes before by Scott Bakker. Hope it will be better than the last fantasy book this publisher sent me.

i've bought a bit of a mixed bag lately!

Feel - the Robbie Williams biography
the SAS survival handbook
Napoleon on the Art of War by Jay Luvaas
The DaVinci Code
The Book of Irish Legends by Iain Zaczek
a new copy of the Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley, because my old one is falling apart, must stop lending books to people who have no respect for them!
a new dictionary (old one also falling apart!)
and a book that was my favourite when i was young called I Am David. lol, i looked around for it on the net for ages and couldn't find one. then i found it in a BOOK STORE of all places, go figure! :p

Paintful afternoon for my credit card :
A bunch of comics (Marvel, DC, and Image) and in original version :
Singularity sky by Charles Stross
Gridlinked by Neal Asher
Equal rites and Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett.
plan to read them the week after Chrismas.

The year's first book haul (all 2nd hand):

Christopher Priest - The Seperation
Jonathan Carroll - The Wooden Sea, The Land of Laughs
John Crowley - The Deep
Hope Mirlees - Lud-in-the-mist
Vladmir Nabokov - Lolita
Richard Dawkins - A Devil's Chaplain
Jane Yolen - Sister Light, Sister Dark
Frights - A horror anthology, ed. Kirby McCauley

Hey I'm new here. My most recent buys were-
The ******* King by Dan Chernenko, fantastic book
The Green Rider by kristin Britain- a good read
Circle at Center by Douglas Niles- very unique and original
Wartorn:Ressurrection by Robert Asprin and Eric Del Carlo-I absolutely loved it
Thieves World:enemies of fortune- Huge fan of the original and new series

Just picked up a few books 2nd hand:

Iain Pears: An Instance of the Fingerpost
Peter Ackroyd: The House of Doctor Dee
Miles Harvey: The Island of Lost Maps
Peter Carey: Jack Maggs

My latest buys (though I am still waiting for delivery)

Malazan series

1: Gardens of the Moon
2: Deadhouse Gates
3: Memories of Ice
4: House of Chains

I have recently finished Pillars of the Earth and so am really looking forward to these books to arrive. In the meanwhile I am doing some re-reading through Legends II.

Just received (for reviews) :
- Cherudek by Valerio Evangelisti. Don't know if it's available in English, but this Italian novelist is one of the best thing which happened to sci-fi these recent years. His main character is Nicolas Eymerich, a Spanish inquisiitor living in the 15th century. And confronted to madness, aliens and so on.
- Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett. Just when i wanted to ct down my discworld addiction
- Nobody True by James Herbert

Plus in a recent raid in a second hand store, I've took
- The five gold bands by Jack Vance. Ever read this one, knivesout ?
- Le sceptre du hasard by Gérard Klein. One of the greatest name in french sci-fi, as a novelist and as a publisher
- The wind from the sun by Arthur C Clark
- Songs of stars and shadows by GRRM. Did want to give him a try, but not by going into a long serie, so an anthology of short stories is the best way.

Last few books I have bought:
Across the Nightingale Floor & Grass for his Pillow by Lian Hearn (saving up for book 3 :))
Going Postal by Terry Prachett (I just can't stop buying discworld books!)
American Empire by Harry Turtledove

books I'd recommend:
Grunts by Mary Gentle - orcs get cursed when the steal a dragon's hoard with some interesting weapons...
The Sleeping Dragon by Joel Rosenberg - ever played a RPG and thought wouldn't it be cool if you were there? Be careful what you wish for... :)

Leto said:
Just received (for reviews) :
- The five gold bands by Jack Vance. Ever read this one, knivesout ?

Afraid not. It was his second novel, I think, and going by http://www.massmedia.com/~mikeb/jvm/phile/phile_2.html#volume , it's a pretty rare one - good find!

I've heard about Gérard Klein and a few other French SF writers before. In fact, I've read rather interesting things about them- is any of their work at all available in English, would you know? I fear it would take rather long for me go about learning a whole new language just now.

I don't often actually buy new books but couldn't resist China Mieville's Perdido Street Station after having recently read The Scar by the same author. Great stuff.

knivesout said:
Afraid not. It was his second novel, I think, and going by http://www.massmedia.com/~mikeb/jvm/phile/phile_2.html#volume , it's a pretty rare one - good find!

I've heard about Gérard Klein and a few other French SF writers before. In fact, I've read rather interesting things about them- is any of their work at all available in English, would you know? I fear it would take rather long for me go about learning a whole new language just now.
Well you can find some Gérard Klein book translated on Amazon :
his masterpiece Starmaster's gambit, translated by John Brunner : the Overlords of war, A Mote in Time's Eye and Day before tomorrow. Click on the links to access the Amazon pages. As they're quite old, they're really cheap but it largely worth the read.

Gérard Klein is the guy who's responsible for the translation of Frank Herbert, Cordwainer Smith (IIRC) and several other SF writers in France.

Any Indian writer to reccomend ?

Its all been second hand book shopping for me this month, picked up a couple of Terry Goodkind novels, the names of which i've actaully forgotten and GRRM Song of ice and fire books 2, 3i & 3ii

So all together quite pleased

Leto said:
Well you can find some Gérard Klein book translated on Amazon :
his masterpiece Starmaster's gambit, translated by John Brunner : the Overlords of war, A Mote in Time's Eye and Day before tomorrow. Click on the links to access the Amazon pages. As they're quite old, they're really cheap but it largely worth the read.

Gérard Klein is the guy who's responsible for the translation of Frank Herbert, Cordwainer Smith (IIRC) and several other SF writers in France.

Any Indian writer to reccomend ?

Thanks! I can't afford to order online for a while (the taxman cometh this April and all) but I'll take a look.

I haven't really read either of these authors, but Samit Basu has a comedic fantasy novel called The Simoquin Prophecies, while Amitav Ghosh's The Clacutta Chromosome has signficant sf elements. It actually won the Arthur C Clarke Award, and comes recommended by John Clute. I've been searching for it, but have only found all of Ghosh's other books, so far!

That's the one!

Winters_Sorrow, I was bit lukewarm about Grunts - I thought the gag was taken just a bit too far. Have you read Gentle's other work though?> I'm intersted in reading more of her books.

knivesout said:
Amitav Ghosh's The Clacutta Chromosome has signficant sf elements.
As an SF/Horror book it ROCKS. It's the first Ghosh I read and I was blown sufficiently away to immediately start re-reading after I first finished it. And it's the only book the man has written with these genre elements. His other book Shadow Lines has a certain Marquez flavor although in no way derivative.

knivesout said:
That's the one!

Winters_Sorrow, I was bit lukewarm about Grunts - I thought the gag was taken just a bit too far. Have you read Gentle's other work though?> I'm intersted in reading more of her books.

yeah, I agree that really it does kind of go completely off the rails towards the end (aliens? :confused: ) but I found the concept quite amusing as well as the Dark Lord "elections" :rolleyes:

I haven't actually read any of her other work, although I hear that Ancient Light was suppose to be good....?